Machin Forum Forum Index Machin Forum
THE place to discuss the definitive stamp

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it morally correct to re-print a limited edition?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Is it morally correct to re-print a limited edition? Reply with quote

One reason I could never recommend purchasing Buckingham (BFDC) limited edition covers.

http://www.bfdc.co.uk/2010/machins_ep_special_delivery/lion_unicorn_2.html for full story.

In essence a limited edition purchased because it advertised a certain LIMITED number is re-printed due to popularity!!!!!!

The other reason of course is cost. They advertise Royal Mail FDCs catalogued at 5 (for those I have looked through) at a minimum of "from 20".

Maybe I am being naive - your views are welcome.
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse the performance of my old eyes but this seems to be a cover that has been created after the demand for a certain FDC became apparent and was produced to fulfill that demand but is still being called a "First Day of Issue" item, or to reduce the supposed cost of the item on the open market.

If that is so it once again discloses the silliness of referring to such items as "First Day" covers and in my mind the duplicity that often supplants and supports that silliness.

I remember that in the US the Postal People were still stamping as FDC's covers bearing the Moon Landing stamp up to a years afterward.

I thought the FDC impression and nomenclature was to provide proof that the item was purchases and used on the FIRST DAY of ISSUE, not months or a year later.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> Stamp Covers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: