Machin Forum Forum Index Machin Forum
THE place to discuss the definitive stamp

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

All the The Hong Kong Machins

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> Hong Kong Machins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: All the The Hong Kong Machins Reply with quote

An image of all 42 of the sheet Machins. There are also booklet, sheetlet and coil versions to collect and of course varieties although these are mostly limited to phosphor variations..

NOTE: None of these are duplicates although you cannot tell from the image.

I will let you guess which one is the hardest to collect in multiples, believe it or not it is NOT one of the high values.

By the way - if you want to collect these in multiples (i.e. plate blocks) you only have to buy them in blocks of 4 (unlike our good old GB versions).

I am in touch with a real expert in these issues, who has yet to join the board, but he will be a real mine of information once I persuade him to do so.
Arnold Machin
Silver Poster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: The hardest to find in multiples Reply with quote

Hi, I will guess it's the 10c stamp as this amount would not be able to post much. Also there are loads of other values so it would not be needed much to make up values. Am I right ?

Ian
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought there may be a few more guesses whilst I have been away - but I will put you out of your misery - I am reliably informed that it is the 60 cent stamp - not sure why - if I find out I will post it up here.
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have little doubt that it is due to the common postal rates effective during the issues life. Some other values are convenient, as a multiple of them make the rate or when combined with other convenient stamps together make up the rate.
Then there is often in every long issue some value that does not easily combine to fill any role. Sometimes that happens when the stamp is conceived for a particular postage rate but early in the issues life the rate is changed leaving no practical usage for that stamp.
mikrobe115
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: All the The Hong Kong Machins Reply with quote

[quote="kz1qrt"]An image of all 42 of the sheet Machins. There are also booklet, sheetlet and coil versions to collect and of course varieties although these are mostly limited to phosphor variations..

I have just counted up the number of variations list in SG One Country Hong Kong cat.

Printed in 'photogravure' there are 42 different versions listed as SG Nos 702-717.

Printed in 'lithography' there are 36 different versions listed as SG Nos 757-765.

So I am now having to go and check all the copies I have, oh dear! Mad

LukeYang
Silver Poster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also the aerogramme that was issued with the Machin and the bauhinia (HK city flower).
tangles2010
Diamond Poster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject: Singles from Miniature sheets and booklets Reply with quote

One thing I've noticed recently on Ebay is that some sellers of Hong Kong Machins have broken up miniature sheets to offer the stamp as a single - and have also broken up prestige booklet panes to offer the stamps as singles. As a result, for example, you can buy all 12 $10 stamps as singles and a set of 7 stamps on 'watermarked paper' (from the 1994 prestige booklet). To me, it seems odd that one would break up miniature sheets this way, as well as prestige booklet panes (and why not break the panes into se tenant pairs - why singles?). My question is, is this a common approach for Machin collectors? For example, do collectors break up Great Britain prestige booklet panes to have single stamps of each booklet? Have collectors, for example, broken up the Cantor Miniature Sheet to have single copies of each stamp?

I cannot recall seeing a Hong Kong miniature sheet or prestige booklet pane postally used (I've seen a few on first day covers, but I don't think they count!). That being said, I also cannot recall seeing one of the stamps from a miniature sheet or prestige booklet pane postally used. These things are essentially philatelic. Not that that is a reason not to collect the single stamps, of course, but it just strikes me as strange.
Cheers
Daniel
sususcordan
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi friends! Me I'm starting to collect Hong Kong stamps. Does anyone availabity of repeated ones for swapping? The most I can offer are Spanish basic series... I don't have actually too many stamps for swap.

Regards!
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Daniel.
Not ever broken up any Hong Kong stuff yet, but yes certainly I sell individual stamps form panes.
Think about a block of 9 1st Class Orange that may cost 6 as a pane but you can buy one for 99p....
If you only collect single Machins it makes sense to buy them this way if you can.
Or if you are just looking for the 68p MPIL ... why spend the money on those surrounding it?

If you check out this section of my site you will see lots of individual stamps originally from panes.
http://stamp-collector.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_19_591_593
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> Hong Kong Machins All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: