Machin Forum Forum Index Machin Forum
THE place to discuss the definitive stamp

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DX18 - PAIR OF MACHINS AND ATTACHED GEORGE BEST LABEL - £26!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevevp
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: DX18 - PAIR OF MACHINS AND ATTACHED GEORGE BEST LABEL - £26! Reply with quote

This amused me this morning. The following has just sold on Ebay for the princely sum of £26. And I quote:

"QE II,,,, 1993,, 25p. 2 band, in unusual "gutter pair",,, seldom seen,, MNH"

Amazing, given the complete booklet can be had for a fiver!!

Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know - I have seen a few of this sort of thing lately - is it a case of more "newbies" coming onto eBay - which is probably good for the hobby in general, or a standard case of taking a seller at his word and not doing the proper research.

If the latter - then well done seller!

I have noticed several items selling on eBay for much larger sums than I am selling the same item on my site. I don't for one minute think I am alone - there must be dealers who are tearing their hair out at the stupidity (laziness??) of some of these buyers. I am a bit more sang froid about the whole thing but then again I don't have huge stock numbers of each item to move on and my financial well-being isn't dependant on selling stamps.
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" .... I don't have huge stock numbers of each item to move on and my financial well-being isn't dependant on selling stamps. ...."
Something for which we can all be grateful.
With the exception of a limited number of well financed dealers I had noticed that most local dealers live just a little above the comfortable level, if that.
Like most collectors I also considered trying to make a living selling stamps at one point. I noticed that the apparently successful dealers had some other source of income to supplement their profession. I also noticed that running a small stamp store required an immense amount of time devoted to organizing inventory, preparing items for sale and seeking replacements to restock sold inventory.
My decision, with children to feed, was to just let selling stamps remain a pleasent dream.
Glyjo
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Auctions on ebay Reply with quote

I do use ebay to source some of my requirements, cylinder books in particular but then they are from a number of trusted dealers who also use the site. Whenever I am looking for something I always have the price from a number of dealers to hand to ensure that Iím not tempted to bid over their price. I canít count the number of times bidders exceed dealerís prices for stamps that are easily sourced. I can only assume that they are caught up in the bidding process and want to win at all costs. Rolling Eyes
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To poach a quote of General Douglas MacArthur;
' ... There is no Substitute for Knowledge."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> Auction Finds All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: