Machin Forum Forum Index Machin Forum
THE place to discuss the definitive stamp

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What philatelic accessory are you going to save?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> Stamps In General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: What philatelic accessory are you going to save? Reply with quote

Just for a bit of fun (and hopefully not prophetic).

Oh no - your house is on fire ... don't worry most every item is insured, your wife and kids are at her mothers, and thankfully you moved your stamp collection to an uncles house only last week (because the wife kept nagging about needing the space).

One thing you haven't yet moved and is uninsured are all the accessories you purchased to help identify or help to display your stamps (all the catalogues / handbooks you moved yesterday fortunately).

On rushing out of the house you have the chance to save just one accessory, one you really couldn't do without over the next month or so.

What would that be?

No cheating now by naming an accessory you would like to save IF you had one ... it has to be one that is in your possession today. Obviously stock-books, catalogues and handbooks are excluded as they are not currently in the house, but choose anything else.

I'll come back with mine a bit later on - I want to see what other members think. I have one thing that I absolutely couldn't do without even for a week - what's yours?

I suppose there is a simpler way of asking the question:

What is your favourite (most useful) accessory?
tangles2010
Diamond Poster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The UV lamps - because they are rather expensive!
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only get one - so I am assuming you would choose the Shortwave because that would be the most expensive to replace.

BUT

Based on your collection (and I happen to know it is elliptical Machins more than anything else), would not the Longwave UV be of more use to you in the short term?

What I am really trying to get to is what is the accessory you find most useful ... the "fire" story is just to put some levity into it.
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering how the PC and monitor are bulky and will be firmly attached to the burning wall by wires that are going to be a feisty challenge to untangle in the excitement, plus that I'll only have one hand free as the box that contains the multiple plastic containers of prescription medications, especially the nitro capsules, that keep me alive so I can annoy you all, will already be under one arm, I think I'd grab the external mega memory thingamabob that my daughter bought me a year or so ago and I have been transferring all my notes, scans, letters and articles onto from the old floppy discs and thumbdrives that were usually scattered about my stamp desk.

And perhaps my well thumbed dog eared College English Grammar text that says something about avoiding long convoluted run-on sentences.
tangles2010
Diamond Poster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have got quite a few pre-decimals and decimals these days, but you are right, most of the weight is still in ellipticals and Hong Kong Machins, which makes me more of a longwave UV man. So I suppose I would have to take that one, but then again longwave lamps aren't that dear. So the shortwave lamp it is!
mikrobe115
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one item I could not do without is my 10x glass, due to old age my eyes are not as good as they once were.
On saying that my external hard drive would have to come first, not only does it hold all my hobbie interest but also all my finances.
What a choice. Question
tangles2010
Diamond Poster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 10x glass is a good one. I've been trying to work out direction of printing on Machin panes and all the local stamp shop had was a 5x glass, which isn't quite good enough. Apparently these glasses aren't so common. So I think I would have to change my vote!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> Stamps In General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: