Machin Forum Forum Index Machin Forum
THE place to discuss the definitive stamp

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Issue Dealers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> Stamps In General
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you use a New Issue Dealer to obtain stamps?
YES
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
NO
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
I would if I knew the best
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 6

Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: New Issue Dealers Reply with quote

I have started this as a poll - but I am not so interested in the numbers it might generate as the comments - good or bad about the use of New Issue Dealers.

To explain: Many full time dealers have set themselves up to sell new issues to collectors. Many of these, obviously the collector could find in his post office or pay a subscription for a standing order to Tallents House.

However, some (not all) of these New Issue Dealers are able to supply EVERY stamp and format issued whereas Tallents House for example have certain rules for the general collector (these have been debated in the past on other threads).

This is particularly relevant now as Tallents House does not recognise changes in the security code as "NEW" issues and therefore I have not received my normal cylinder blocks for the M11L series. This is just one example. Alex has quoted another in an alternate thread.

What I would like to know is :

• Do you use a New Issue Dealer?
  • Have you used one in the past but stopped - if so - why?
  • Do you recommend a particular NID - if so - why?
  • Are there any you would not use?
  • Anything else you would like to comment on this subject.

cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, of course, as many know, generally collect postally used examples unless such treasures are simply unavailable used.
However, if I wanted mint stamps I suspect I would certainly subscribe to some dealer's new issue service. Besides looking for someone reliable and competent, I would have to seek a service here in the US where I can pay simply with US dollars, unless I found a UK dealer willing to take US currency.
And being of sound mind and at times reasonably clear thought, I would expect to pay some premium to cover the dealer's, heat, light, rent, insurance and children's food and college expenses.
corgipete
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alec Withell provides this service and seems very on the ball with new Machin issues. Richard Parsons also has many items that indicate access to the more specific variations in stamp books. I was considering using a new issue service, but being a cheapskate I'd rather hunt out the bargains on ebay. The only problem is the lack of information or the incorrect information, which means I get the wrong thing, but I do get the thrill of the chase. Regards Pete
tangles2010
Diamond Poster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried using Royal Mail, but was told when I tried to order one item that they would only sell it to a) a small business and b) one in the UK, and not being either that kind of limited my options. Also, you can't guarantee getting cylinder booklets from them, and I collect those. So I go through a new issue dealer now, and I am happy to pay the extra commission on the purchases, as my dealer does a good job of getting me all the security codes in their various formats. For example, he was able to get me the MA10 and MA11 2nd Large business sheet headers quite quickly.

Best wishes

Daniel
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tangles2010 wrote:
So I go through a new issue dealer now, and I am happy to pay the extra commission on the purchases

Is your NI Dealer based in Australia?
tangles2010
Diamond Poster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, based in the UK! There is one NI dealer here who deals in Machins, and someone I know uses him - but he takes a long time and is more expensive (I suspect he buys from dealers in the UK and then adds another commission on top...).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> Stamps In General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: