Machin Forum Forum Index Machin Forum
THE place to discuss the definitive stamp

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A seller that Listing Fees were made for???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: A seller that Listing Fees were made for??? Reply with quote

Now this is type of Seller that I feel deserves a no sale and the resulting fees..... this is just a couple of his auctions

Notice the prices he s selling at for a start - these are nit 99p auctions....

So how does he help me make a decision to bid?

A good image - NO
A helpful title - NO
Item Condition - Mint, MNH, USED - NO
Even an average description - NO

The bit you can't see is he goes into half a page describing his delivery options and charges! I have better things to do with my time.

Why would I go to the bother to ask him to upload an image/description etc ... there are hundreds of these types of sales over a year.

I'll leave you to decide whether you want to bid on them - hey they could be a good price for all I know - how can I tell I haven't a clue what they are!

In his defence - he is obviously new to eBay with a feedback of 2 but surely he understands that you need to SELL your item. There is a lot of competition out there.
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some sellers have no idea what they are doing.
I am currently involved (or perhaps not involved) with a seller who listed an item, a small lot of Norwegian stamps starting at $0.90. I am really interested in only one of the ten or so in the lot. No other bidders.
Small transactions like that I usually send the $3 or $5 needed to cover the lot and the postage.
I always send a note first asking if they can handle a cash (US) transaction.
I did that in English, Czech and German (Some of his description was in German) and the seller replied that it was okay.
There were no other bidders.
Despite four or five subsequent notes, again in multiple languages, I have yet to get a valid address.
It is almost a month now and I have given this item more attention than it deserves.
I hate to give off a negative feedback over a $3.00 dispute.
I did have a seller in North Carolina once a few years ago who failed to respond to any messages for about two weeks at which time his wife sent off a general note to everyone in his mailbox that he had been hospitalized and would eventually deal with things. He did, and I had no problem waiting til he was fit and able. .
So this Jeroslav character may have met a similar fate, or thought he should have gotten more bids and wants to renege on the sale.
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to complete the story,it was like trying to get Bertram's ring, but then, all's well that ends well and finally I did get the address and send payment. Yesterday the small lot of Norwegian stamps arrived, as described and in good order. More importantly the two "Svalbard" definitives I wanted and that were the reason I bid on the group were in good condition.
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And to complete the story of the original lot for sale - guess what - they didn't sell.

Looking back at past sales efforts - he has put a lot of high priced items up for sale and has sold 2 out of 66 since 19 February - that's as far back as eBay goes for this seller. That's a lot of listing fees unless he can sell them on a re-list.

Mind you he has many items at a price in excess of that I am looking for on my site - especially year books - so I don't think he is going to have much luck without dropping a few pounds.

Not saying his items aren't worth the price he is asking - I am not an expert in most of the areas covered, but he is obviously aiming at the wrong market.
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was selling Real Estate some years ago one of the elements of trying to determine a price to suggest for a property to a prospective seller was an organized look at comparable properties which I divided into three general groups.
Similar properties that had sold recently; That shows what buyers are willing to pay.
Similar properties that are currently on the market; That shows the competition.
and, often lost in the confusion and excitement,
Similar properties that had not sold despite being offerred; That shows what buyers are not willing to pay.

The same rules apply to stamps that are availavbe in essentially identical condition.
The only exception is if one is counting on finding an uninformed buyer.
Whereas older somewhat classic used stamps are often different enough to make precise comparasons between sales or offers difficult, mint stamps either singly or in booklets, blocks or minisheets are virtually fungible and the same rules apply. And still, quite often sellers fail to consider the third part, discovering what buyers are not willing to pay.
CAMachin
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Although I am mostly a purchaser on eBay I have been active at times in the past with varying collectibles. I have always started at .99 cents (US) and have found that I do quite well because it engages buyers who are not just in it for the item but for the sport and competition as well. It is no fun to see an item with a start price that is out of wack for current market conditions. I have learned to be very patient. Almost every item will show up again at some time in the future. I is quite frustrating to deal with sellers on eBay who just don't have a clue and seem to have an emotional tie to a stamp they are selling.
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the reasons I have never sold anything on ebay is that emotional tie. I simply hate to part with any of my stamps.
Even when I make up a small mixture of some country's stamps that I have multiples of there is mental trauma as I struggle for the strength to seal the envelope. It is only offset by the sense of duty to respond to what the trader sent me.
That is what stamps do to us philatelic pack rats.
CAMachin
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's funny becasue I am just the opposite when it comes to extras and duplicates. I can't stand to have them if I can sell them and get something I don't have. Kind of like a business with extra inventory that doesn't turn a profit unless it is sold.

My biggest problem is the lack of people to trade with. I just can't seem to find anyone local that collects GB definitives, especially the Machin. My collection is basically level 3a based on the Deegam system. The locals in the stamp club are primarily US and general world wide. I am planning to put a display together for the local 2012 show next year and see if that spawns some local interest.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> Auction Finds All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: