Machin Forum Forum Index Machin Forum
THE place to discuss the definitive stamp

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Posting date

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derek Burch
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Posting date Reply with quote

It would help me to evaluate information in posts if the original posting date showed. At least in the way that I have set up my reception, only the , current day, which I suppose means that you repost the site once a day. Is this something that I have done in error?
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure if I am interpreting your comment correctly, but original posting date is always displayed in the you left hand corner of each post.

PS .. from another post - email is turned on so you can contact any member by pressing the email button in their post. Only PM is turned off.
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each individual post to a particular topic by a member has its original posting date.
The Topic list on the forum area has the most recent entry listed only, but clicking that topic will yield the original posting dates.
As with most forums it takes a few minutes to get used to things that might be somewhat dufferent, although I believe this forum layout is one of the most user friendly I have found.
Derek Burch
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: posting date Reply with quote

Dave, I am sorry that I did not make myself clear. I didn't mean when the author first joined or posted, but the date of that particular posting. For example, if someone refers to a new edition of Deegam, it makes a difference if this is dated 22.10.2010 or 1.15 1999. Not a very good example, but I can't think right now of what it was in my reading last night that triggered this.

Anyway, it is entirely possible that I have not twisted the right knob or clicked the right click to get that date to surface.

Great site even without this. Derek
Derek Burch
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie (if you will excuse the familiarity), I seem to have the newbie version of the site where you have the administrator or "cleanliness is next to Godliness" set-up.

Just at random, I went to your reply mentioning staying out of another country's affairs which has been up for a few days. I tapped the thread to get there, then I tapped all over your post, and it and every other one in the thread has the same 20/10 date. As does everything else that I look at on the site. And that isn't even today's date. if I picked a bad example, ignore that and try another.

Now I am scratching my head, but that isn't helping either.

Derek
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek - This is intriguing me now. I meant what Charlie has put - he just explained it better.

A couple of questions first:

• What operating system are you using (Win XP, Win 7/32, Win 7/64, Mac whatever)?

• What internet browser are you using (IE7, IE8, Firefox Safari, Chrome etc)?

Assuming you have a "standard machine" (if such a thing actually exists outside Microsoft Labs) .... do you know how to use the Photobucket application .... if not go to the FAQ section and it tells you.

What I want you to do is take a screen print of one of the threads that has this issue and load it up.

On second thoughts (although it is good to become familiar with PB) - just email it to me. Use the email address admin@stamp-collector.co.uk.

Thanks
Derek Burch
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

I am using win Vista 32 and IE8. i will get onto the screen print as soon as I look up how to do it, but I have come from a couple of hours browsing in The GB Machin (very interesting browsing) where every single post is dated 12.20.2010.

You do understand, I'm sure that when I read one of Charlie's posts about his family coming in on Halloween night and it is dated 12.20.2010 I fell as though I have slipped into another dimension (and I live only 200-odd miles south of him even where he is in Orlando at the moment). Screen print will follow to your email, and before I do that I will go onto my laptop which is Vista 32 and IE8 and report on that, Will also do Win XP IE8 when my wife is off her computer (do you detect an unfair allocation of resources here?) Derek
Derek Burch
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Same result on the win7 32 and the win XP , both with IE 8 - every post throughout is 20.12.2010. I have also tried Mozilla Firefox as browser with the same result.

No amount of tapping or head scratching helps.

Derek
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek you sent me a "live" link so when I receive it I see it in the format my browser uses rather than how you see it.
This is what I see when I open the link you sent me.

As you can see everything looks fine to me (different dates).

As you have WIN7 or Vista - you have access to the "SNIPPING TOOL" application.

Use the same thread - snip a similar portion as that above - save it and email me that.

Until you mentioned Firefox the common thread was IE8 (which I have deleted from my system by the way - nothing to do with the forum!).

There is always a problem in resolving technical issues if the problem can't be replicated by the other party.
I am going to do a bit of research and will get back to you.

Last edited by Gooner on Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek - you can forget the above request - because hopefully it won't work any more - as in you should be able to now see the dates as is ....

The problem was caused by you manually inserting a date of "20 12 2010" into your profile. This field does not require an entry - the default is fine.

I have reset your profile to the default (i.e. d M Y h:i a). This automatically resolves the date to correctly show date and time of post (time maybe an hour out as I don't normally bother to change for Daylight Saving as it is a manual operation).
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.
I am glad that that is resolved. I looked through several topics and the postings and could not figure out what was going on from here so I began a procedure that always works well when I am trying to resolve the incomprehensible.
I climbed into bed and put an equal strain on all working parts.
Soon I forgot that the grand kids in the living room were squabbling about something critical to world peace and order (The thirteen year old princesses, ..... it might have had something to do with who's turn it was to run the dishwasher.) and began to dream of a world where different dates were abolished and I could see how that would make calendars obsolete.
If everything has the same date there would be no reason to argue about who is first or who is older or when the check was put in the mail. Interest rate tables could be simplified. And all football games, both North American style as well as the ever popular game where the players are not dressed as Patton Tanks. Plus it would not matter who cleaned the dishes last week.
About that time, just as I was about to uncover one of the truths of how the string theory could eliminate overdrawn checks, the three year old shook my leg to ask me if I was sleeping.
Oh well.
" ... All's well that ends. ..."
Derek Burch
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry everybody -although it did generate another great entry from Charlie! I should have learned long ago not to eat mushrooms labelled 'eat me'. Derek
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely no problem Derek - I now know something about forum administration that I didn't know before - never too old to learn.

I would much rather members query any problems they have and give me a chance to sort it out than just turn it off and never return because they don't want to "bother me".

And of course we also got a great lesson in life from Charlie. Sleep is the greatest cure.
Charles
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know why and I did not find explanation on the forum. All posts on the forum I see as they were posted on Posted: 22.05.2017 . What is wrong with my settings?
For example:
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

" .... The problem was caused by you manually inserting a date of "20 12 2010" into your profile...."

Charles, Did you manually enter a date in your profile page ?
As Dave explained above, that was the problem. If so go back to correct your profile and allow the application to run that entry by the internal date/time clock.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> Forum Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: