Machin Forum Forum Index Machin Forum
THE place to discuss the definitive stamp

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Deegam Reports and HB4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RogerB
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Deegam Reports and HB4 Reply with quote

Am I missing something? Iíve got Douglas Myallís Report No 90 and have copied it, together with the dgrindex.pdf file, to the Deegam/Reports folder, as he suggests. Iíve worked out that the links work to the main document, but is it possible to update the Catalogue lists? For instance, there are new entries for N1.48.4 in DGR 90; if Douglasí claim that the CD is always up to date, then the changes ought to be reflected in the main catalogue list. It seems unlikely that this could be done, for shortage of space, if for no other reason, but is there a link somewhere that achieves this, or any other way of keeping the main lists up to date? I am aware that my faith in technology usually outruns my (and often, other peopleís) ability to control it, but I would be grateful for confirmation one way or the other!
Brummie Bill
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roger,

Douglas keeps the current edition of the CD up to-date so that whenever you order it you get up to-date information. The reports can also be used to keep the lists current however they don't modify the listing you get with the CD.
I would update my CD more often but never get round to finding a large enough envelope so that I can send the CD back for update. The cost is reasonable and is not a factor. Thus a web based solution with the same cost would be ideal.
I for one would happily pay a premium subscription service to be able to download latest list from the web site. I don't know if Douglas has ever considered this? Maybe there is too much work to administer this sort of system.
The Connoisseur Catalogue has attempted to do this but up to day it is not finalised but the content is free whilst this data is being put on-line.
The advantage Douglas has is that he has completed up to date electronic documents that could be up loaded almost immediately and Douglas keeps the documents current whenever a new issue or change is made.

Cheers,
Bill
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could not do anything but agree with both points.
On line updating is a very neat idea,
and,
It probably involves too much work.

I expect just keeping up with the listings, verifying information that comes his way through competent sources that he has developed and examining sheets, sheetlets and booklets for the details that are the backbone of the listings is far more work than I would want to undertake at my age, and Doug will be be eighty eight in about three weeks.

The Complete Deegam Handbook and its supplememtry reports have to be a labour of love.

However, Doug occasionally scans this forum and you never know, if it is possible he might take the idea to heart.
Brummie Bill
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think the work would be in maintaining the web page.
Doug already keeps the .pdf files up to date ready for burning to CD when you order one.
It would be nice if it did happen but I suppose I can dream!
crazyh1
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I helped Doug out with the initial pilot for getting the reports released & archived online and suggested putting the whole set of pdf files for the handbook up too, but Doug didn't seem too keen.

As much as I agree that it would be an excellent step, I suspect that Doug (possibly rightly) sees the electronic download of Reports as quite a different prospect to doing the same with the whole handbook. If I were in his position I'd be trying to square the circle of ease of access versus risk of accidental release of his hard work without recompense. Let's face it, the handbook is something of a life's work and on that basis you can see why Doug might be rather protective of it.

cheers
Scott
RogerB
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Deegam Reports and HB4 Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

At least it made for a bit of chat, if nothing else! What you are saying is what I suspected to be the case, but I would have felt sore if in a couple of years I found that I had missed some subtle link somewhere and that Douglas had waved yet another of his magic wands. Dream on!

Thanks again,

RogerB
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger - Doug answers your question in the latest Deegam Report (91). Have to say I agree with his point of view.
lammetje
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I am a bit confused (happens a lot to me!).
I wonder if anyone can make me wiser...

I have the Deegam CD - I purchased it in/around January of last year.
Is there now a new, revised edition?
Reason for asking is that I have heard of a 'HB4'.

Does anyone have the old (my) version and also this new version (if indeed this IS a new version)? Should I upgrade?

Thanks a lot!
Regards,
Mike
lammetje
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, ignore my last post. I was having a 'blonde' moment.

HB4 is indeed the new version (I am now reading through report number 87) and it appears worthwhile to upgrade to this version.

Sorry+thanks

Regards,
Mike
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, HB4 is the new version released last year. However through the miracle of the modern cyber technology, Doug is able to continuaslly update his master files and so a collector who orders his copy today will get one that is "Burned" on the day (more or less) that Doug puts it in the mail.
Therefore ordering one that gets shipped this month is really HB4-1/11, meaning updated to January 2011 including updates to DGR 91.
Those who have older versions can avail themselves of a currently updated version by sending the old disc to him with a payment for the service and they will receive their disc back with everythig updated to date.
------------ Shameless Promotion Department ----------------
The CD is obtainable from:
D. G. A. Myall, 2 Elizabeth Avenue, Bridport, Dorset, DT6 5BA, UK, price £39; airmail postage to any address in the world is free.
Pay by sterling cheque or in GBP by Paypal sent to Douglas Myall's e-mail address: deegam@btopenworld.com
Updating the CD that you have received under Doug's exchange scheme costs about £20 (About $30 US or Canada) and the updated disc is sent airmail at no additional charge. Doug advises that he has problems exchanging currencies incurring substantial bank charges so do not send other cash or checks.
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe there is a graduated charge for replacing the pre-HB4 version. with HB4 depending on how old your version. Forgot the exact numbers right now.... but assume it is listed on www.deegam.com.
Ron H
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: updating Deegam handbook on CD Reply with quote

Hi all, New here, but this topic has me interested.

I have the CD of the Deegam handbook. I bought it last year and have gotten the updates.

Someone has suggested installing the CD on your computer. If you do this can changes be made by incorporatint the upgrades into the main body of the handbook? Or am I misinterpreting what I think I know about this.

The things I have read imply that changes can be incorporated.

Thanks, Ron H.
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For several reasons, some of which we discussed, you may download the Updates as mentioned but they cannot be incorporated into the data stream of the handbook itself.
Doug does that in Bridport and then burns completly updated versions to fill new orders and replacement orders for those Handbook owners who send the old disc with payment, again as mentioned.
I suppose he makes a small profit from the procedure, a well deserved monetary return for the hours over the decades of keeping track of the trackable detailsand doing the Sherlock Holmes thing to uncover the untrackable. I doubt that it is enough to make him wealthy, but it does enable him to protect his intellectual property rights as well as the integrity of the handbook.
I can just imagine a philatelic on-line flame war between one collector whose disc is completely up to the minute with another who missed incorporating some quarterly update in the distant past, both quoting their copy as the definitive answer to the number of angelic droogs nestling twixt the tips of their sometimes lethal tongs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> Deegam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: