Machin Forum Forum Index Machin Forum
THE place to discuss the definitive stamp

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DG5.8.7-9 and the meaning of the word 'column'

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thunderbird1
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: DG5.8.7-9 and the meaning of the word 'column' Reply with quote

I need a little DeeGam help.
I'm looking at DG5.8.7, DG5.8.8 and DG5.8.9. (1/2p value). Each are from the same Pane DP24, Cyl B24. The only difference I can see between each variety is -apart from the DOP- the column number 1,2 and 3 respectively.

Now the problem: I cannot find what Douglas means by the word 'column', because in my definition it is what I understand to be a vertical line of stamps (in this context).
If this is what Douglas means, then how does he conclude that there's a column 3 (DG5.8.9) when Pane DP24 only has 2 columns. Or were these panes issued with 3 columns?

Can someone pls explain?

Thanks, Marc
Alex
Machin Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marc,

I'm not an expert on these, however, if you consult

http://www.machin-and-wilding-stamps.co.uk/index1.html

and look at the FCP/PVAD - PCP/PVAD (Dextrin) versions, you will see these listed with an explanation of their differences.

Hope this helps.

Alex.
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Marc.

The first step is in the glossary Page G-6;

Quote:
" ... Vertical division of a sheet, block, pane etc, including cylinder blocks, a column is always one stamp wide. ..."
---- BUT
" ... Booklet panes, on the other hand, are regarded as a unit and the primary sheets for these are considered as being formed of columns one pane wide. ..."

Then you are refered to; Chapter 12, Pages 27 & 28, which have illustrations of what he means .
Actually the explanation starts on C12 -26 and extends to C12- 29.

I hope that that helps.
Thunderbird1
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Charlie. You put me on the right track. Not only did it explain to me that 'column' does not equal 'column' Wink, but you also showed me the process of tracking down the terms. After working with computers for so many years, I still seem to miss the good old paper version of a book, where you can flip thru the pages in a fraction of a second and find what you are looking for.

Unfortunately, Doug's bible doesn't allow searching because the handbook
a). contains many different files, and
b). is protected (which I fully understand).
But that's a different story.

Now back to my issue (DG5.8.9). From what I now understand, in order to find this stamp, we have a value setting issue (T1a vs. T1). So Col 1/T1a is higher and more to the right than a col 3/T1. I'll have to keep a lookout and check thru my stock.

And Alex - I checked the page, thanks. I do this regularly (Adminware, Connoisseur are also excellent resources). They sometimes explain things a lot simpler than the handbook.

Many thanks,
Marc
brandenburg5
Diamond Poster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not believe Myall's Handbook files are protected in any way. Searching through multiple files is not a problem. Follow these steps with Adobe Reader 9:
Next to the Find window, click the down arrow and select "Open Full Reader Search."
Below "Where would you like to search?" select "All PDF Documents in" and then navigate to the proper folder. Fill out the rest of the Search window and click "Search".

This is also possible with older versions of Adobe Reader, though the steps may be different.

--Larry
Brummie Bill
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry,

The .pdf files are protected so that you can't copy from them but apart from that everything else is ok. You can print and search no problem.

Cheers,
Bill
brandenburg5
Diamond Poster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

Thanks for the clarification.

Larry
Thunderbird1
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just discovered that HB4 is fully searchable and HB3 - which I'm using - is not. So that is worth an upgrade in itself.
I'll contact Douglas and get the latest version.
Sorry for any confusion.
Marc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> Deegam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: