Machin Forum Forum Index Machin Forum
THE place to discuss the definitive stamp

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A 1994 printing of the Hong Kong 7-Eleven booklets?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> Hong Kong Machins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tangles2010
Diamond Poster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: A 1994 printing of the Hong Kong 7-Eleven booklets? Reply with quote

I finally managed to get myself a UV lamp this weekend - it is long-wave only, so I still need to get a short wave one at some stage! Yesterday evening I had a bit of fun using it on my Hong Kong Machins. The fluorescent security overprint on the sheet stamps without phosphor fluoresces a really bright yellow. This was dropped when phosphor tagging arrived, but one thing I hadn't realised before is that the phosphor cylinder didn't just print phosphor bands, but also overprinted 'Hong Kong' in phosphor. This is a duller yellow than the security overprint.

Anyway, I checked out my booklets as well, and I think there were new printings of the first three 7-Eleven booklets towards the end of 1994. These are hinted at by the Deegam Handbook, which lists the $1 with security overprint and the $1.90 and $2.40 on low OBA paper. Anyway, I checked the booklets I bought in December 1993 first. These all had a security overprint, although the degree of fluorescence was variable - some had a quite bright overprint, and others had a very dull overprint (by contrast, all the sheets and blocks I looked at of my sheet stamps had a consistently bright overprint). THe paper was also clearly FCP - it appeared violet under the UV.

The security overprint was still on booklets I had bought in April 1994. However, things changed with booklets bought in December 1994. All three values no longer had the security overprint, and all three appear to be on low OBA paper - it appears white under UV. The shades of the stamps are also different from the 1993 examples, and the $1 and $2.40 panes were folded twice - all other 7-Eleven booklet panes were folded once. Adding this all together, I think there was a new printing later in 1994. Has anybody else spotted these on their 7-Eleven booklets? Does anybody else think there might have been a new printing?

Best wishes
Daniel
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you are having fun with these booklets. I don't know who else has been keeping up to date with them.
I think I have one or two of the Hong Kong booklets but at the moment cannot recall where I may have put them. Sometime in the next several months my wife and I are planning on re-organizing the extra rooms and I am planning on getting a larger area for my stamp room. One where the Florida morning sun shines one the stamp desk for a few hours. I will keep an eye out for a box where I have several dozen odd booklets from different sources.
Good luck with the ones you have.
tangles2010
Diamond Poster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Spring sunshine is just starting to come out here in Canberra, and that has motivated me to get back into them! Getting a UV light for the first time also helped...

Yes, I don't know if there are many people who like these Hong Kong Machins, but I do have a fondness for them. Always interested in hearing others' views!

Best wishes

Daniel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> Hong Kong Machins All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: