Machin Forum Forum Index Machin Forum
THE place to discuss the definitive stamp
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stamp Fairs

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> Machins to Buy, Sell or Exchange
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Gooner
Machin Man


Joined: 25 May 2007
Posts: 1270
Location: England, UK

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Stamp Fairs Reply with quote

How many members attend Stamp Fairs? More importantly how many who do so find bargains there?

I attended a reasonably sized one yesterday at Stafford - some 30 miles away from home. There were about 50 stalls, of which around 30 were primarily GB dealers and maybe 4 were majoring on definitives. A lot of stalls selling Covers.

I went there looking for a specific item plus any bargains that I could find.

Well the latter was ZERO. I probably overpaid for the item I wanted and in general felt it was a bit of waste of time (and petrol).

Had a chat to a couple of stallholders but didn't really gain information - they are there to sell and didn't seem particularly interested in "chit-chat". Understandable I suppose.

I did listen in to one dealer who was advising an obviously new collector and I was annoyed at some of the things he was telling them. Mainly around the area of MINT vs USED collecting. I guess it was the generalisations he was using, and in my view, mis-advising probably because he wanted to sell items he stocked rather than those he didn't.

Would I go to another - yes probably if I was in the area for some other purpose. Would I go out of my way to attend one - probably not unless it was a national exhibition similar to the LONDON 2010 I recently went to and really enjoyed.

One final note:
I went to a stall that specialised in US stamps and had a look in some of the albums he was selling. A bit heartbreaking really. There was a superb album there covering 1990-1998. The collector who had sold it obviously spent loving hours creating it - ink-boxing all stamps - putting them in nice clear mounts, very pretty album so well set out that the stall holder was trying to sell for 395.

I tried to tell him that this was way over-priced and that 150 would be stretching it, but he just smiled and said - it was good for postage - to which I replied - yes if the price was right AND you live in the US.

Such a shame - I was almost tempted to buy it just to save it for posterity, but my bank manger appeared in my head so it stayed there.
_________________
Regards
Dave
http://www.stamp-collector.co.uk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
cdj1122
Machin Man


Joined: 08 Jul 2007
Posts: 952
Location: Houston, Texas pending eye surgery

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Stamp Fairs Reply with quote

Gooner wrote:
" ... How many members attend Stamp Fairs? More importantly how many who do so find bargains there?...."
To me a bargain is something I want at a price I can almost afford and the wife doesn't know about.
Quote:
" ...

I attended a reasonably sized one yesterday at Stafford - some 30 miles away from home. There were about 50 stalls, of which around 30 were primarily GB dealers and maybe 4 were majoring on definitives. A lot of stalls selling Covers.
...."
My first thought is how does that compare with what are often called "Stamp shows" here in the colonies? For us, such things are usually sponsored, even if indirectly, by some local stamp club. But I believe that most of them here are more akin to a stamp bourse as the philatelic exhibits are quite rare.
Quote:
" ...
I went there looking for a specific item plus any bargains that I could find.

Well the latter was ZERO. I probably overpaid for the item I wanted and in general felt it was a bit of waste of time (and petrol).
...."
Some things you have to chalk up to promoting the economic recovery.
Quote:
" ...

Had a chat to a couple of stallholders but didn't really gain information - they are there to sell and didn't seem particularly interested in "chit-chat". Understandable I suppose....."
Possibly, because many are not as informed as the average collector.
Mum's the word, keep it under your arm !!!
Quote:
" ...

I did listen in to one dealer who was advising an obviously new collector and I was annoyed at some of the things he was telling them. Mainly around the area of MINT vs USED collecting. I guess it was the generalisations he was using, and in my view, mis-advising probably because he wanted to sell items he stocked rather than those he didn't.
...."
If the "collector" appeared to be a serious individual, I might have casually sought him, or her, out as he strolled along and carefully indicated that what he had been told was not exactly universally true. More so if that collector was young , good looking and wearing a mini-skirt. Okay that don't happen except in my fantasy world, but I have a well rehearsed plan, just in case.
Quote:
" ...
Would I go to another - yes probably if I was in the area for some other purpose. Would I go out of my way to attend one - probably not unless it was a national exhibition similar to the LONDON 2010 I recently went to and really enjoyed.
...."
What I am refering to as a local stamp show is not on the level of a national exhibition or even a well promoted statewide affair, all of which, for some reason have names that end in -pex.
Quote:
" ...
One final note:
I went to a stall that specialised in US stamps and had a look in some of the albums he was selling. A bit heartbreaking really. There was a superb album there covering 1990-1998. The collector who had sold it obviously spent loving hours creating it - ink-boxing all stamps - putting them in nice clear mounts, very pretty album so well set out that the stall holder was trying to sell for 395.

I tried to tell him that this was way over-priced and that 150 would be stretching it, but he just smiled and said - it was good for postage - to which I replied - yes if the price was right AND you live in the US.
...."
The dealer was being attentive to the rule set forth by old Phineas T. Barnum "... There's a sucker born every minute, and two to take him for a ride ! ..."
Quote:
[i] " ...
Such a shame - I was almost tempted to buy it just to save it for posterity, but my bank manger appeared in my head so it stayed there.

It is a shame that for all practical purposes, creating extensive artwork in an album or even designing anything beyond a barebones layout is a labour of love, only appreciated by the creator. Once the album is sold, it will almost always be consigned to a fate almost as bad as sending a cadaver to a second rate medical school for the students to work on.
It will be stripped of anything of more than minimal values, broken into segments and then after a series massive philatectomies by increasingly less knowledgeable collectors, consigned to a convenient scrap heap in the dusty corner of the shop where the dealer tosses junk in the hope that someday some one will fondle it lovingly and be willing to pay a buck or two for the remaine, ...... or perhaps a quid or two.
_________________
" .... You may think you understood what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you think you heard is not what I thought I meant. .... "
Charlie Jensen
Lecanto, Florida
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Alex
Machin Man


Joined: 02 Sep 2007
Posts: 152
Location: Bristol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:19 pm    Post subject: Stamp Fairs Reply with quote

I used to live in the Southampton area and enjoyed attending 3-4 Fairs per year, usually in local church halls, not on a grand scale but enjoyable nevertheless. I would spend the pm there chatting to the dealers and looking through their wares hoping to spot the odd bargain.

Having moved to Bristol in 2006, I have yet to find a local Fair in the area. Nothing is listed in GSM or the local press......but there must be one somewhere?.......
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
mikrobe115
Gold Poster


Joined: 08 Jul 2007
Posts: 48
Location: Llanelli, South Wales, UK

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Stamp Fairs Reply with quote

Alex wrote:
I used to live in the Southampton area and enjoyed attending 3-4 Fairs per year, usually in local church halls, not on a grand scale but enjoyable nevertheless. I would spend the pm there chatting to the dealers and looking through their wares hoping to spot the odd bargain.

Having moved to Bristol in 2006, I have yet to find a local Fair in the area. Nothing is listed in GSM or the local press......but there must be one somewhere?.......


Alex,

Give Mark Grimsle, not sure on spelling of surname, he is a dealer living in Bristol and goes around to a lot of fairs, good material at a fair price he also knows his stuff.

Tell that I have regomended him, Mike from Llanelli Philatelic Society.

Hope this will help you.
_________________
Regards
Mike
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Gooner
Machin Man


Joined: 25 May 2007
Posts: 1270
Location: England, UK

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex there appears to be bi-monthly Stamp Fair in Bristol at the Jury's Hotel. Not much information but a phone number to ring.

Bristol. Stamp Fair.
Jury's Hotel, Prince Street. 10am-4.30pm.
Contact: Symes Promotions. 0117-5901074
(Every other month)

and a couple more nearby

Keynsham, Bristol. Stamp Fair.
1 Ashton Way. 9.30am-4.30pm.
Contact: 01179-868889
(Monthly)

Saltford (near Bristol). Stamp Fair.
Saltford Hall. 10.15am-4.15pm.
Contact: R. Hyde. 01202-30305
(About 4 times a year)
_________________
Regards
Dave
http://www.stamp-collector.co.uk


Last edited by Gooner on Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Alex
Machin Man


Joined: 02 Sep 2007
Posts: 152
Location: Bristol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike / Dave,
Many thanks for the info. I will certainly follow these up. Coincidentally, on our way to visit relatives in Portishead, there was a large banner outside Gordano School advertising a Fair today (and yesterday); unfortunately I obviously could not attend.
Alex.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Gooner
Machin Man


Joined: 25 May 2007
Posts: 1270
Location: England, UK

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try and organise a proper list sometime soon but here are some up and coming fairs in the Midlands/Northern part of England.

September 2010 Saturday 4th 10.00am-4.00pm City of Preston Stamp & Card Fair 2010 at Barton Village Hall, 852 Garstang Road (A6), Barton, Preston PR3.5AA. Their website is: www.prestonphilatelic.org.uk but Firefox can't find it!! .

October 2010 Saturday 9th 10.00am-4.00pm The Manchester & District Philatelic Traders Association Stamp Fair at Sale Grammar School, Marsland Road, Sale, Cheshire M33.3NH. (Near to Brooklands Metrolink Station). Their website http://www.manchester.talktalk.net/philatelictraders/fairs.htm.

October 2010 Friday 15th 12.00am-6.00pm and Saturday 16th 10.00am-5.00pm, Scotex 2010 at the Dewar's Centre, Glover Street, Perth PH2.0TH. See map. Admission free. Organised by the SPTA. Their website http://www.spta-scotex.com/. Yes I know this one is in Scotland.

October 2010 Saturday 23rd 10.00am-4.30pm Banbury (Midland Federation) Stamp Fair at Broughton Hall, Banbury School, Ruskin Road, Banbury OX16.9HY

November 2010 Friday 12th 11.00am-6.00pm and Saturday 13th 10.00am-4.00pm, Stafford Stamp Show November 2010, at Staffordshire County Showground, Ingestre Suite, Weston Road, Stafford ST18.0BD. For more details, contact John and Jane Rice (JRS Fairs) 01785.259230 email info@john-rice-stamps.co.uk. Their website: http://www.jrs-stamp-shows.co.uk/.

November 2010 Friday 19th 11.00am-6.00pm and Saturday 20th 10.00am-4.30pm Leeds Philatelic Society Annual Stamp Fair at Pudsey Civic Hall - Dawson's Corner LS28.5TA. Junction of Ring Road A6120 and Bradford Road A647. Near New Pudsey Railway Station. Their website: http://www.y-p-a.org.uk/pudsey.html.
_________________
Regards
Dave
http://www.stamp-collector.co.uk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
BrianT
Platinum Poster


Joined: 21 Apr 2009
Posts: 93
Location: Leeds, Yorkshire

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year I visited the York fair, at the race course. I only stayed about twenty minutes, I just got fed up being pushed around and most stalls seemed to have a barrier of people sitting in chairs going through the entire stock of the dealer.

I only went because a well known dealer who I have used a lot had advertised his attendance. I found his stall, bare of any display, he explained that he only attended fairs to catch up with the gossip

Beyond me, why he went to the trouble of advertising and paying for a stall.
_________________
Very much a beginner. Thoroughly enjoying making custom pages for mint GB collection.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jnhutton
Silver Poster


Joined: 25 Sep 2011
Posts: 4
Location: Lichfield, Staffordshire

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went along to a fair at Stafford and was pleasantly suprised. Bought a stockbook off a dealer for 4, which was packed with little gems, and the stockbook was worth at least half that, so it was a real bargain. (over 1000 stamps, mostly KG6 and QE2 pre decimal, some Victoria, but hours of fun).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
machinmike
Platinum Poster


Joined: 11 Mar 2010
Posts: 64
Location: Tyneside, England

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, this subject of fairs is becoming a bit of a sore subject for me.

We used to have a thriving fair network in the north-east of England. A monthly fair in Tynemouth and TWO different fairs that ran roughly quarterly in Newcastle. However, the syndicate that ran one of the quarterly fairs broke up and the remaining one kind of ran out of steam. I stopped attending after I made a round trip of 35 miles and spent nothing.

The monthly fair struggles on but some of the dealers have the same stock every time, so I have given up on that as well.

I have driven across to Carlisle (round trip 150 miles) to a fair there and will never go again, having spent nothing.

SCOTEX at Perth (RT at least 315 miles) can be rewarding but has sometimes failed to produce much in the way of new material.

Preston (RT 300 miles) was limited but some of the dealers were very pricey.

Hull (RT 300 miles) was very good - I have been there three or four times and found much material every time.

York racecourse (RT 190 miles) is a regular event for me, and I always do well although I have noticed that I seem to be picking up less material with each trip.

Pudsey near Leeds (RT 220 miles) is promoted I think by Leeds Philatelic Society. I have only been there once but did really well and am going again in November.

Berwick (RT 135 miles) advertised itself as Postcards and Stamps. The stamps were negligible but I got 4 or 5 good postcards so the day was not totally wasted.

The theme here is that the fair network in the north-east seems to have pretty much died out. However, the best place for me to go is Yorkshire, usually involving about 200 miles of driving. Of course this adds quite a bit of cost to the whole process and also about 2-3 hours drive at each end of the fair.

It seems to be that the law of diminishing returns has kicked in here in the north-east - dealers have less interesting material so attract fewer customers, so customers stay away, so dealers drop out and those who stay in turn over less material, more customers stay away etc etc.

Quite why this has hit the north-east so badly is a complete mystery to me
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> Machins to Buy, Sell or Exchange All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group