Machin Forum Forum Index Machin Forum
THE place to discuss the definitive stamp

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Value of things

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrianT
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: The Value of things Reply with quote

I think for many of us the value of a stamp is purely incidental. The 2d Blue below is probably worth the best part of nothing but in my entire collection it is my favourite. The condition is just wonderful right down to the postmark.

So could we have some other peoples favourites?

Totally as an aside. I belong/ have resigned from more forums than I care to think of, why is this one so friendly? Perhaps being small is good Smile

Brian.
Wittybebop
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian do you have any more info on the postmark? regards Dave.
Until a collector removes it one day.
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The Value of things Reply with quote

BrianT wrote:

Totally as an aside. I belong/ have resigned from more forums than I care to think of, why is this one so friendly? Perhaps being small is good Smile.

I'll try and think of my favourite stamp ... but I am fairly sure it will be decimal and from the UK.

On your point about "this being a friendly forum" - I think we have been lucky - we haven't yet had any idiots posting their views (whatever the subject) in a nasty way and upsetting manner, however I do know of more than one member who would like things a bit spicier, and sometimes I agree, but certainly not to the extremes that they seem to get to on StampBoards, where for all its many interesting (if sometimes parochial) threads there is some downright nastiness at times.
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: The Value of things Reply with quote

Gooner wrote:
BrianT wrote:

Totally as an aside. I belong/ have resigned from more forums than I care to think of, why is this one so friendly? Perhaps being small is good Smile.

On your point about "this being a friendly forum" - I think we have been lucky - we haven't yet had any idiots posting their views (whatever the subject) in a nasty way and upsetting manner, however I do know of more than one member who would like things a bit spicier, and sometimes I agree, but certainly not to the extremes that they seem to get to on StampBoards, where for all its many interesting (if sometimes parochial) threads there is some downright nastiness at times.
I have noticed two facets there, one is a definite clique in the group that braggs about how many thousand posts they have made. It is subtle but there seems to be a reluctance to accept new posters who are well experienced on an equal footing.
The other facet is the stated willingness to answer any question "No matter how silly" and the occasional tendency to put down or give a very short answer when one of those "silly" questions is asked.
It is my opinion that such answers should be in great detail and try to patiently cover any possible confusion that the enquirer is likely to have.
BrianT
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
we haven't yet had any idiots posting their views

Give me time. Wink

Dave, re the postmark All l I know is Banff is a town in Scotland and another in Canada, think it's probably the former. Rolling Eyes So we have 29 Nov 1862 Banff and No 36 which is the numeral for Banff. The condition is just wonderful. The stamp from plate 9 is a fabulous shade.

I just think it's such a gorgeous item, if only it was an entire ( if that is the correct terminology) I think I paid 99d for it on Ebay.

Brian.
Wittybebop
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, don't do postmarked stuff at all, so was interesting to know.

THANKS.
Until a collector removes it one day.
BrianT
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't either Dave. But I have an almost complete collection of 1d Reds which I have collected with Duplex numeral postmarks. Hence I know that the 36 represents Banff in duplicate form Funnily enough I always thought it was Banpp, funny lot these Northerners.

I posted this item on another forum and some thought it was a rarity, a G.B stamp used and postmarked in Canada.

Brian

Psssst anybody got a plate 77....................must have a Duplex postmark though Very Happy
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Psssst anybody got a plate 77

Best I can do I am afraid

steve519
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The Value of things Reply with quote

BrianT wrote:
I think for many of us the value of a stamp is purely incidental. The 2d Blue below is probably worth the best part of nothing but in my entire collection it is my favourite. The condition is just wonderful right down to the postmark.

Brian.

wonderful 2d brian

i totaly agree with you, QV 2ds are stunning miniture works of art

heres my fav .shame about the right margin Sad

[img][/img]

steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> Stamp of the Day All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: