Machin Forum Forum Index Machin Forum
THE place to discuss the definitive stamp

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stamps for Investment

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Stamps for Investment Reply with quote

Very occasionally I troll eBay for the most expensive stamps on offer - I usually spend more time at the other end of the price bracket, but this way can sometimes be good for a laugh.

Anyway - for those of you who took all your money out of stocks and shares during the recession I have a couple of real rarities for you to invest in.

First - at only $60,000 (+ $5.99 postage).
http://cgi.ebay.com/Benjamin-Franklin_W0QQitemZ250547832631
A Benjamin Franklin doozee

or if you are not willing to go that high how about only $20,000 for this nice 3c UNUSED Commemorative.
http://cgi.ebay.com/March-in-Paris-1944_W0QQitemZ260523365132
There is a slight additional cost to this one as you will need to travel to deepest Utah to pick it up.

If you are thinking of purchasing either of these - please please just give the money to me and I will send them to you post free.

Merry Christmas everybody.....

Oh shucks I almost forgot this one - maybe because it is so cheap at only 12,000. That maybe of course because it is a little imperfect, however you do get free shipping all the way from India.
http://cgi.ebay.com/U-S-A-STAMP_W0QQitemZ110471067082
I think the missing corner indicates postally used though, as it certainly looks as if it has been through some machinery...

Wait - I bet that missing corner is somewhere on eBay for about $3,000 - I just haven't got to it yet.
Cbarnhorst
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incredible. Just stunningly stupid! Perhaps they are pranks, but I fear not. The Utah one might be, though.

Thanks for posting these, Gooner.
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I sent a message to the clown in India. probably a kid who does not know any better and meant to put the price at 60,000 Rupees, not dollars.
Quote:
Hey, this is a great stamp. If you sell it I can supply you with dozens of them that I could buy from a local dealer for a few pennies each. (That is less than a Rupee apiece.) We can sell them together and make a fortune as partners.
I can even provide that stamp with other pre-cancel overprints like "Troy NY", "Poughkeepsie New York" or even some rare "Brooklyn NY" from near the site of nthe famous bridge.
Let me know what you think.
Charlie in Florida

cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, then the devil struck again and I could not help myself.
Quote:
Hey, this is a great stamp. If you sell it I can supply you with dozens of them that I could buy from a local dealer for a few pennies each. We can sell them together and make a fortune as partners.
I can even provide other stamps of the series such as the Navy, Coast Guard or Marine Corps issue to make a set.
Do you think that the wavy cancellation lines will scare off fussy buyers who desire unused copies that were really "unused" ?
Charlie in Florida

cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And finally;
Quote:
Hey, this is a great stamp. If you sell it I can supply you with dozens of them that I could buy from a local dealer for a few pennies each. We can sell them together and make a fortune as partners.
Do you think that if you trimmed the other three corners it would make the stamp more attractive to buyers ?
Do you think that the vertical cancellation lines will scare off fussy buyers who desire postally used copies that do not look like they were dragged behind the delivery truck for a few kilometers ?
Charlie in Florida

Now I am exhausted and need to take a nap.
I will post any responses that do not contain profanity.

Last edited by cdj1122 on Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And finally;
Quote:
Do you think that if you trimmed the other three corners it would make the stamp more attractive to buyers ?
Do you think that the vertical cancellation lines will scare off fussy buyers who desire postally used copies that do not look like they were dragged behind the delivery truck for a few kilometers ?
Charlie in Florida

Now I am exhausted and need to take a nap.
I will post any responses that do not contain profanity or threats of nuclear annihilation.
Charles
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeees, there are a number of sellers with unbelievable prices for the stamps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> Stamp of the Day All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: