Machin Forum Forum Index Machin Forum
THE place to discuss the definitive stamp

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Don't eBay Buyers ever check what they are bidding on?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Don't eBay Buyers ever check what they are bidding on? Reply with quote

Am I making a great mistake here or are there some really silly bidders at times.

This is the auction title GB Scotland Machin Error Variety Lion with solid eyes (360143972433).

So I'm thinking what is the "error" here. Solid Eye = Type 1 - standard issue Catalogues at 4.50 in my old 2005 Concise (new one hasn't arrived yet), so what's the "variety". Turns out NOTHING - at least nothing I can see.

Anyway bidding is at 10.50, they are probably thinking I have a bargain.

3 bidders - 7 bids

1 bidder has the two highest bids - I can't resist a bid to get between his/her two bids - so now 11.50 - dare not go any higher in case I win it - then who would the fool be. Sold 11.50.

Someone tell me I am talking through my rear end here but I just can't see it. Here are the images anyway.

I tried to contact the buyer but the eBay message service is down apparently...

I realize this isn't end of world spending on the same global scale as our Government are doing at the moment, but I just had to send him a note offering 100 of these for 100 (or maybe I should have said 11 for 11.50.
brandenburg5
Diamond Poster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are both uninformed buyers and sellers on eBay. This does look like the standard Walsall Type I printing. The fact that the seller has a 100% rating with several thousand sales tends to lead to a false sense of security among buyers.

--Larry
stampmadmike
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must add to this as I regard myself as relatively inexperienced in Machins but I know I've deliberately paid over the odds occasionally but I've been happy with the price. Maybe in this case the buyer had been waiting for a block of these to appear and they were happy to pay that price THIS TIME just to complete that hole in their collection. Not everyone is ill-informed, sometimes people pay more than the value just to get that item at that time.
However, the seller should be reprimanded for misleading buyers with inaccurate descriptions, but not every buyer is taken in by this though.
Exclamation

Stamps are neat lttle labels,
Showing arts or crafts or fables,
I started collecting a few,
But it grew and it GREW,
Now it's filled the house clear up to the gables
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite right Mike - and I in the past have also overspent on items for one reason or another.

My post looks as if it comes out as a go at the buyer - we have all been there - what I really didn't like is that the seller is obviously mis-leading the buyer.

I tried to contact the seller a few days before it ended, but got no response, maybe they didn't receive the message because I am unsure whether eBay's system is fool-proof, or maybe he just chose to ignore it because the price was rising.
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A different subject whilst on eBay - recently they introduced the listing of items under 1 on ebay.co.uk for free (taking a bigger percentage if they sold).

At the time I thought this was a good move by eBay for both sellers and buyers - now I am not so sure.

From a buyers perspective only - I find that my searches are filled with .99p Machins (many of them not worth that amount but that's by-the-by) and high postage from one seller (d.backler) who although most of them do not sell just keeps re-listing and re-listing, because of course there is no deterrent (i.e. fee) for him not to do so.

I have also noticed an upsurge in the "non-collector" putting on (for example) a 5d used Machin that he found in the corner of his drawer for .99p.

Both of these activities have led to me missing more interesting auctions as I tended to skip too quickly through aforesaid rubbish. There doesn't seem to be a way to be able to filter these out either by price or by USERID in any type of search.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> Auction Finds All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: