Machin Forum Forum Index Machin Forum
THE place to discuss the definitive stamp

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello and Welcome
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to our forum, Paul.
We can always use someone who is knowledgeable in Deegam speak. I have had the handbook, both paper and disc version for years and still open something up and find a new detail that had escaped me before.
My hands were once quite facile but these last few years I need an enlarged keyboard so the iPad version is not for me. Even with a 20" (500mm) screen I have to squint and even use the magnifier program to see some of the fine print.
At least half, if not more, of our regular members enjoy collecting mint never hinged examples.
I have always preferred postally used examples when possible to find. Many collectors avoid the additional difficulties of the glue that way.
But either are considered dedicated Maschinistas.
Charlie
Lecanto, Florida

(Note) Masochinista = A masochistic Machin affectionate.
cable1234

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:47 am    Post subject: Somewhat new to Machins Reply with quote

Hi all
I am somewhat new to Machins and their complex nature so I hope my questions do not come off as stupid. Hope to have questions for you soon.
Thanks,
William
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome William,
Feel free to ask away. Someone will try to answer any question for you.
And remember there is only on "Stupid Question" and it is the "Unasked."
qualityfirstdaycovers
Silver Poster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: hello everyone Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I've been collecting Benham first day covers for around 25 years as a hobby. As I'm approaching retirement I'm planning on turning my hobby into a business I will enjoy. I am looking to buy and sell first day covers online.

I think this forum is a great initiative to speak to some like-minded people about first day covers, and Benham one's in particular.

I have set-up a website which is currently live and selling Benham first day covers. Any feedback on the website is much appreciated. http://qualityfirstdaycovers.com

If anyone has any questions about Benham first day covers on the forum, I may be able to help with my knowledge gained over the last 25 years.

Pete
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and Welcome Pete.

I too collect Benham covers, although over the last few years I have narrowed down my collection to the Decimal (D) series which uses predominately Machins.

I also sell off both the duplicates of the "D" series and also any other types (e.g. BCSL) most of which are not Machin based. Fortunately there is a good market for Benhams as they are an attractive offering in the FDC world.

Therefore most of mine are now sold and although I probably need to go through my albums one more time - I doubt I have many more to load up.

A nice site you have where each item looks as if it will be easy to find even after you have loaded many more. Might I make a suggestion - you may well have people visiting your site who don't even know what a Benham is or what each series is meant to articulate. I would suggest an "intro" or "historical note" that describes them and therefore may tickle the inquisitive to know more and maybe even purchase some!

Good luck with your sales.

You might want to add your web-site to the appropriate thread when you have a minute.

TO ALL MEMBERS:

You may wish to start up a separate Benham thread for discussion by members
Under "Maybe Machin" I have created a Major heading -STAMP COVERS- where it can be started.
I have created it in "Maybe Machin" so that we do not need to differentiate between the primary different types of popular covers e.g. Definitive and Commemorative.
Northumberland
Silver Poster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: New Reply with quote

Hi new visitor here and i am new to this type of stamp i have collected early english stamps & colonials for a long time but a relative has given me a large collection of stamps which included lots of D's & P's that he collected when working as a post master here in Northumberland,
I have lots of collections and just cannot start collecting these as well,
I have tried to do some Internet research but they seem like a mine field to me.
he has agreed that i can sell them to put the money into the types i collect so i am looking for advice on what "sensible" prices to put on them as i will not sell on ebay as it has become a very expensive place to sell on and i now have my own web store

lots of them are cylinder blocks

all the best N
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi N and welcome to the forum although I suspect it may be a short stay once you have sold your stamps.

I am afraid there is no short cut method to resolve your problem.

You will need to put some work in and
EITHER
provide a detailed list of each stamp.
OR
at the very least provide an image.

Preferably both. Otherwise it will be impossible to evaluate the holding that you want to sell. You could send the information you have gathered direct to me via email as I may be willing to purchase as a lot OR more (price) efficiently - if you are able - load them up to the forum where you may find a member who is looking for individual issues.

If you want to use this forum to sell your stamps (at absolutely no cost to you) then please do so under the "Machins to Buy, Sell or Exchange" thread.
oldbazza
Silver Poster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Hello Reply with quote

Hi, my name is Barry, I retired 10 years ago, last year I decided to start collecting again after a 40 year lapse, I am building up my collection of GB definitives slowly. I live in Spain, which adds to both the cost and difficulty.
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Barry.

We have another British member who is a REAL expert who also lives in Spain at least for most of the time.

I also visit occasionally as I have a brother who lives there.

Good luck with your Machins when you get there as I am still struggling in a few areas after 20+ years of studying them.
MBriggy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Greetings from Maryland Reply with quote

Good morning all!

I'm Mary and I live in Maryland. I'm another of those who have had cycles of active collecting mixed in with long breaks. My father was an avid collector and as kids we spent a lot of time soaking stamps from the big bags of kiloware Dad would buy. He helped us start worldwide collections, but his focus was US and so was mine, initially.

A few years ago, I started collecting GB more actively and bought a few small collections and some modern lots, so I now have a lot of used Machins, mostly in the low values. I'm slowly working my way through the basic level of collecting on these and always looking to learn more about them. The hardest part about collecting GB when living in the States has been finding nice lots without spending a fortune in shipping! I suspect my focus will remain used Machins for quite a while as I also enjoy looking for interesting postmarks.

I'm glad to be here!
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Mary, a couple of your compatriots are also members of this board, and may be able to help you with shipping costs.

I have enough trouble of my own in this area, our Royal Mail are positively trying to stop people posting internationally I think. At least they are pricing it out of reach of the mere mortal.

Anyway - enough of that - enjoy your Machin collecting. There are many varieties to look for without even moving to mint issues.
lmedberry

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:03 am    Post subject: Greetings from California Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have been collection on and off since I was 18. I am 46 now and just brought out my collection to start again. I noticed a lot has changed. Just wanted to say hi to all and hoping to connect with some local collectors.

Lance
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lance - welcome to the site - it is generally a bit slower in the summer months as even stamp-collectors like to enjoy the sun so if you have any questions or comments to liven the forum up please go ahead.
Tony Lee
Silver Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like to say a big hello to everybody here at Machin forum.

I have collected stamps on and off since I was a child. Been through many collections over the years but most of these have either been lost or sold on in hard times to pay the bills. There also seems to be times in our lives when even stamps mean little and we drift as I have done many times.

An uncle recently asked me to strip down a very old and very poor condition child's album which sparked an interest in stamp collecting again after a break of almost 12 years. Remembering back to a good time in the early 80's when I used to buy bulk for very little I have started to do the same. It's the Machin stamps this time round that seems to be tingling the excitement. I have always had a love of postmarks so used would naturally be where I would start again so bulk buying used stamps is the way to go.

Was very surprised at how far Machins have evolved since I last seriously looked upon them as collectable. These new Security stamps are wonders in their own right.

Well my first lot arrived yesterday and I sat there going through them simply sorting into colour and value. Pretty much blown away by the variation already. Hopefully over the next few days a box of used on paper will arrive.

At the moment I have been doing so much sorting I doubt if I ever will get to put any stamps actually in an album. That raises another question of how to arrange the stamps when I do get that far Confused .Things have changed so much that I am at the moment totally lost with Machin stamps.Deep joy....it's like being a new collector all over again. Very Happy
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Back Tony.... strange hobby isn't it, once hooked can never quite shake it off.

I was the same ... took a break in the 70s-80s as I couldn't afford to save stamps and feed the family... as finances improved I was able to resume about 10 years later.

PS .. Can you go to your profile and put in your location.... your country is fine if you don't want to give more detail than that.
We just like to know the spread of the Machin bug.
Tony Lee
Silver Poster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Thank you for welcoming me back to the hobby.

Just updated my profile.

Best wishes, Tony.
Cuilstamp
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I'm Dave from Argyll in Scotland

Been collecting for about 35 years (i'm 45 now), on and off

my collection is small and eclectic. I don't have a particular plan but at one stage dabbled with thematics (anything aquatic, largely fish and ships), but if something appeals to me i'll add it to the collection and mostly i cant think why Confused

i have a relatively few Machins but recently bought a Machin booklet pane online that intrigued me, so i needed to join a forum to ask for advice. will post about it shortly

hope you can help Smile
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Dave ... please feel free to ask any stamp related question.

We don't always promise to be able to answer but we have quite a few triers on the forum.
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" .... I have the various reference books Deegam Hard copy and software just need the time to read them in depth. ...."

One of the advantages of having had several cardiac incidents is that I have had the time to read the Deegam book and the extensive Deegam Reports and interestingly struck up some conversations with nurses and doctors who wonder what is that strange green loose-leaf book perched on my chest all day.
My last adventure, while visiting in Dallas I met two interesting nurses, one from Nigeria who was able to explain how "Good Luck Jonathan" the president of Nigeria got his name, and the other, the first person I'd ever met from Sierra Leone, who once I explained what Machins were brought in an envelope stuffed with Machins on paper.
The next time I may borrow a lap-top for the disc because the disc holds so much additional and more current data. I doubt it will engender the curiosity that a fat over stuffed binder does. I'd recommend to anyone who has the disc to take the time to read the chapters that made up Volume I and not just try to dip into selected sections when a question arises. There are so many areas in the chapters that will become clear when read in toto.
Charlie
alan58

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Stamp vending machine Reply with quote

Hi, Im new to the forum so please excuse me if I have done anything wrong.
My question is stamp related in a way.
I am currently building a George VI post post in my garden, and I want to include within the brick pillar a 1D stamp vending machine type B.
The idea is you would put an old 1D penny in the slot and you would receive on stamp. I have some of the parts to the vending machine, but its missing a number of parts to make it work.
Is there anyone on the forum that has parts for a type b stamp vending machine.
I know its a long shot to ask, and I hope I haven't broke any rules
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Alan, it is a long shot, but not as long as any other site not concerned with stamps, so give it some time and perhaps some clever devil will offer a good answer.
You might also post a note in "Stamporama" as there is a Topic there at the bottom of the TOPICS list titled "Wanted to Buy" and I've seen some odd requests wanted by members.
http://stamporama.com/
Good luck with what seems like an interesting project.

Charlie
dptashny
Silver Poster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I collect worldwide stamps, 1840-1952, as well as a few countries past that.

Now I just caught the Machin bug! I printed out album pages for basic Machins, and that's probably just about how deep I want to go. Unlike many of you on this forum, I have no interest in collecting Machins on a specialized level. This is because I have many other collecting areas, and in my opinion 26 pages is still a lot to fill up!
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dpta,
Many collectors of Machins feel similarly. That is why when Doug developed the Machin Handbook he listed stamps according to three levels cleverly mnaed ; basic, intermediate, advanced and allowed for a fourth level insane.
You can choose the essentially basic level and have some four hundred and fifty stamps in the Machin section and with out too much trouble increase that to easily eight hundred different stamps that can be identified by the naked eye or at most a 3x lens.

The only problem with that is that you will find to almost identical stamps that both fit one specific category and yet seem to be distinctly different. When you ask someone what is going on you will discover that the two DG 210 stamps are different, one being a DG210.1 or a DG210.1.4 and the other will be a DG210.2.12 and the ship to insanity will be flying the "Blue Peter" and sounding its departure horn.

PS:: Since there has never been a 21p Machin I like to use it for my hypotheticals

So welcome to the basic level and I bet you'll be signing on for the SS Machinia for a voyage one day..
dejo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: newbie introduction Reply with quote

Hello all,

I am Joost from the Netherlands (Rotterdam area) and just registered for this forum.

I am an on-and-off collector since I was a kid and now, being retired, will pick up stamp collecting anew.

Main area of interest: stamps from Ireland, the UK (wildings and machins) and, OK, the rest of the world ...

Certain to find some useful information here,
Cheers,
Joost
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the group, Joost. I recall spending six weeks in Rotterdam some years ago and loved the city and its people, especially the pleasant, fresh faced young ladies who attended the University.
Both Wildings and our Machins are very interesting areas. I trust you will discover a lot of info here.
Good Luck.
Chsrlie
lynroy
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm Lynroy, new to the forum but not new to stamp collecting..

I stopped collecting about 20 years ago but got the bug back when my son became interested in stamps over the last 2 years.

We collect GB Stamps in all formats from 1840 - Present day QEII, Commemorative, Machins, Booklets, Smilers, Post&Go, Postage Dues, Regionals, Miniature Sheets, Boots labels.

We have now completed all Commemoratives, Miniature Sheets, Prestige Books and PM Booklets to present day.

Hope we can learn and pick up hints, tips and advice on this forum to help us with our collection

Regards
Lynroy & Jamie (Son)
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynroy,
Welcome to the Machin Forum, I hope you will enjoy the site. There are already many threads with info about various aspects of Machin collecting.
Charlie
Lacewings

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all
My name is Milos, I am from Czech Republic-Prague region. Stamp collecting more interested than 40 years. I specialize in stamps Czechoslovakia Hradcany Castle issuance and I am interested Machine stamp. I study the meantime, information and literature. Access any help welcome
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Machin Forum, Milos.
I am sure one of the members will try to answer any questions you have, so just ask away.
And, I hope you will enjoy collecting the Machin series.
Charlie
Lecanto, Florida
malcolm197
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject: New member Reply with quote

Hi everyone

My name is Malcolm, currently living in Leicestershire, but originally from God's Own Country (Yorkshire to the uninitiated ). Have collected on and off since about the age of 8. Collect all world (postally used) and legible postmarks on piece. Not a Machin specialist per se, but I do have ( almost by default) a sizeable selection which I periodically try to sort in small bursts(if I try to do too much at once to quote Monty Python "My brain hurts"!). Unfortunately my Machin activity spent a time in the doldrums(about 20 years !!) and I despair of actually catching up ( see my first post ).

As a Yorkshireman I collect on the cheap ( our reputation for being careful with money exceeds that of the Scots !!), and most of my acquisitions are kiloware and by exchange. Nevertheless if one is not obsessed with completion quite a substantial collection can be assembled. However with most Machineers collecting mint I have found that many used Machins quite modestly catalogued are so scarce as to be almost mythical - even in kiloware collected when the issues were current.

Now that Spring is here ( allegedly !) my collecting time will be reduced as I have a large garden to take care of and a race against time to propagate new plants.

Thanks for tolerating this drivel, and I look forward to learning a lot,but probably contributing little.

Malcolm
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Malcolm,
Welcome aboard.
The good news is that postally used Machins were printed in the billions. That might also be considered by some to be the bad news as well as there are some issues that had a limited usage and a short time when that particular usage was necessary, creating that needle/haystack feeling.
I am quite sure that most kilo lots, despite claims to the contrary are, at the least, ever so lightly creamed and even to a non-collector that somewhat rare issue's color or difference stands out clearly among the hundreds of very common issues. But sooner or later, just about every regular issue comes to light.
More interesting, at least to me, is that the non-specialist simply cannot find and cull the odd usage, the unusual placement of bars or bands, the slight differences that make Machin collecting so much fun. That would be too much work and require some real philatelic knowledge, things that the sharp eyed sorter cannot spot on the run.
As for completion, that is a tasty subject because we have essentially three levels of collecting. Our Machin Guru divides things with Level One being value, color, shape and design with about 500 varieties, Level Two includes paper, gum, phosphor and printing variations, and Level Three consisting of things like perfs, form, types, settings Bars and direction of printing. Some collectors also consider a further level which deals with printing dates and plate runs. That makes completion about as possible as indexing every possible snowflake pattern.
And then some of us like to include shades.
The important thing is to set your own level and to enjoy the hunt.
The camaraderie of your fellow hunters is also a benefit.
So welcome aboard and if you have any questions just ask.

Charlie
Lecanto, Florida.
L
malcolm197
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome Charlie. I consider that I collect to about level 2 and a quarter, plus like you I am into shades, especially the early decimal issues where shades abound. I can understand why dealers don't get into this but I find them fascinating.

With kiloware in general ( and "home collected" stamps) I don't think that uv fading is much of an issue and so most of the shades are as issued.Greens,blues and oranges are particularly shade-worthy whereas the early reds seem to be quite constant - the 8p for instance, considering the number produced for a common rate has surprisingly few distinctive shades.

I don't know why I have taken so long to get on this board. as I have frequented Stampboards for years, and have recently returned to Stamporama after a long absence - just a limited number of hours in a day I guess!

Malcolm
wulliam
Silver Poster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Hi! Reply with quote

I've been collecting since I was about 10 - now 40. I did the usual thing of collecting the whole world and then gradually focussing.

I have a MNH and CDS UK KGVI collection which I is, if I say so myself, developing into something I'm quite proud of.

I did have a reasonable Machin collection but in a fit of stupidity I sold it to fund another hobby. Anyway, I've recently started again, deciding to focus on a Scottish regional collection to start with. I'm also putting to one side any Machins I come across where the CDS shows the full date on the stamp itself. They're few and far between, of course, but could turn into something useful.

I also enjoy astronomy and family history Smile

I look forward to spending far too much time on what looks like an excellent forum!

Kind regards,
William
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, William. I'm sorry, I usually get to welcoming new members quikly but I've been under the weather the last week or so.At least I could soak a l;arge bulk lot while buried beneath some blankets on my recliner.
I would say that starting as a child and then getting back into the hobby once settling own is a path we are all, just about all, familiar with.
I'm glAxd you have been putting the non-Scot regionals aside for the future as I am pretty sure you will be glad you did.

As you go along and an occasional question arises feel free to ask it and one of our resident experts, as well as others will do their best to provide an answer.
I do not recall who, but on member has a specialized collection of the "Lion Rampant" 1st NVI, which, while apparently a simple stamp must have many minor varieties.

Charlie
Lecanto, Florida
wulliam
Silver Poster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdj1122 wrote:
Hello, William. I'm sorry, I usually get to welcoming new members quikly but I've been under the weather the last week or so.
Charlie

Hi Charlie - thanks for the welcome...hope you're feeling a bit better now!
Yeldarb
Silver Poster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Iím Brad and I live in Northern Ireland.

I got into stamp collecting for a while as a kid. I was inspired by seeing the first GB Christmas Issue profiled on Blue Peter (at least I think it was there) and I found myself collecting GB Commemoratives in a SG Stamp album. I was going great guns, or at least as well as I could go given the constraints of my pocket money. In 1968 the family moved to Shropshire, my stamp album got lost in the move and I lost my interest. That was until this April when I spotted a stamp from the 1960s in a magazine. That chance event led me to the internet and the discovery that old stamps are still available to collect at prices that donít break the bank.

So beginning this May I started collecting again. I am gathering a collection of KG VI and ER2 Commemoratives up to Christmas 1999. I have decided to call a halt there because I am finding the offerings after this time to be less interesting. At some stage may move on to post 2000 GB Commemoratives, but I will be more selective about which I collect and I am happy that this means my collection will have gaps.

So far I havenít mentioned Machins. Well, as break from commemoratives, I have decided to try my hand at understanding these stamps, and I am initially working on collecting mint NI Definitives, both pre and post decimal, but not the pictorials. I am finding the subject matter fascinating and slowly but surely the language is starting to make sense to me; the next thing is to transfer the learning to my actual stamp collection!!

One question I have already. Why is the NI 17p greyish blue (Concise N143Ea) as rare as it appears to be? Certainly the prices for this stamp are a tad eye-wateringÖ

Cheers
B
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brad ... Welcome to the forum.

There are three reasons really:
1. The Philatelic Bureau didn't recognise these as a "new" issue and so neglected to include them in Collectors normal regular orders.
2. Secondly and this is the case for many other "difficult to find" (I dislike the word rare for virtually any Machin) is the short shelf life prior to being withdrawn.
3. Even in Northern Ireland most Post offices will not have stocked this value.

All the above led to many not being in general circulation.
There are other similar disparate values between Type 1 and Type 2 for example the 22p and 31p in Scotland.

Be a little careful when purchasing some Type II values from some dealers (especially online auctions) as they may (knowingly or otherwise) send you a Questa issue rather than the Waddington Type II (for example).
You need to measure the perforations as well to ensure you have the correct stamp.
Some regional values have 3 main variants: Type 1 Perf 14, Type 2 Perf 14 and Type 3 Perf 15. Two out of the three will be relatively cheap.

Hope that helps without going into massive detail.
Yeldarb
Silver Poster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the welcome and the information. I like untangling things and sorting out knots, so collecting Machins may well be right down my street.

B
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorting a pile is indeed a puzzlement, but once you understand the significant differences it becomes easier. If you have any queries feel free to chime in.
J. T. Hurd
Silver Poster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:57 pm    Post subject: New member Reply with quote

About a year after the first Machins were issued, I began collecting stamps as a Cub Scout and have continued ... Interests include used, CDS-cancelled Machins, including the regional issues.

Per my Avatar, I am particularly interested in CDS cancels with full dates (day, month, year) and if possible showing the town or city of origin.

Residing in Canada, I am a member of the Royal Philatelic Society of Canada. I use the Stanley Gibbons Concise catalogue as a general guide, but also find the online listing by Robin Harris to be very helpful in sorting and identifying varieties.

I have some interest in identifying sources for used Machins, in bulk, either on or off paper. Not being from the UK, most of what I gather comes via auction or trade.

This forum appears interesting and informative.
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, JT.
Yours is a similar story to others who started stamping as a youth and often, after a break to marry and start a family, complete college or serve in the military, find comfort in the hobby.
I hope you have been setting the Machins aside as they came available.
The Robin Harris site is very useful but at some point you may want to look into the Deegam Complete Machin Handbook, a disc driven program. The Deegam is designed to do exactly what you ask about, be able to identify almost any single used example you come across as you sort though an accumulated pile of loose Machins.
As you follow along with other members you will see that we all have the Concise and just about all have the Deegam. Many also have the Gibbons specialty series though the last update of volume four was, and is, a great disappointment.
The Deegam is a labor of love by Doug Myall who is also a long standing member here as well as other sites. Not only is it a listing of thousands of the minor varieties that are missed, or even mis-described by Gibbons and Scott, but is an encyclopedic fount of knowledge of stamp production.
It explains in great detail how to make the differentiation necessary for accurate identification.
So welcome aboard.
Charlie
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My screen indicates that there is someone new who posted, but I see it not.
Regardless of such technical glitches, if there is someone they are welcome.
Grarea
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,
I am Graham from Cornwall.
I have always had a few stamps kicking around since a child.
Then, like many I suspect, life took over.
I am now in my forties and beginning to have time for stuff that I want to do.

I have a small UK collection.
I much prefer used. (Which is great as they are often cheaper)

I was looking for a forum to join.

The thing is, since I discovered the world of Machins it has always been a scratch that needs itching.

I wish it wasn't as i know that the hole can be bottomless Very Happy
I am not quite there yet, but I shall be digging them out probably this winter.
I thought that I would join now though as I am starting to read up on them.

So, a long winded way of saying Hi!
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Grarea,
New converts to Machins we always like to see.

If you need any help ask away. There is no such thing as a stupid question on this forum.
Grarea
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha ha, you just wait and see......
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will rephrase that... the only stupid question is the one that is unasked!
Grarea
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile I agree.
Don't you worry, I don't mind asking questions.
Thanks though.
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the interesting thing about that, Graham.
In college and later schooling I was always the person who asked questions of the instructors, often discovering later that the rest of the class was equally puzzled but too shy to make a polite inquiry.
An old Bosun's Mate teaching a Seamanship class once noted that and told me that when asked a question, especially one for which he did not have a quick patented answer, he learned something either about the answer or about a weakness in his presentation.
Years later I found that I also learned details in a subject I thought I was quite expert in, from the research I did to make sure I could provide a good answer, and explain the answer well to a class.
Also, questions are a sign or respect. After all, you would not ask a question of someone you thought would neither treat the question seriously nor be able to provide a decent answer.
And mysteriously, respect begets respect, just as disrespect is the mother of antipathy.
So, in short, ask away.
If I can't help this forum is full of members who can either provide an anwer or will do their damdest to find an answer.

Last edited by cdj1122 on Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Grarea
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In short:
I agree.

I am always astonished that people are embarrassed to ask questions.
How else do you find interesting things out?
A lot of the time, you just don't even know what you don't know.

Also, I love that look of enthusiasm as someone warms to their subject.
Smashing.

I agree with everything you said, but I hadn't thought of the respect thing before.
That makes sense. I like that.
You see, I have already gained from being here.

Now, have you seen my other post? The one about Half penny greens on postcards?
Remainderman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject: New member from Australia Reply with quote

I have been banned from a forum here in Australia called Stampboards for asking how to achieve the best way of photographing stamps with an I Pad.

I am declutering my house prior to selling and wish to sell my beloved collection as none of my children or grandchildren are interested in looking after it.

As the buyer could be some where else and I prefer not to sell on eBay I thought a forum would be a good place to start.

All I received from this forum in Australia was verbal abuse.

Searching about that forum on the net I found about this one.

It seems ironical that here I am an American expatriate living in Australia and joining a British stamp forum.

My collection consists of FDC of the USA 1942-1944 & US stamps, Australian FDC 1970-1980 & stamps, and stamps of rest of world mostly used.

Any assistance would be appreciated

Thank you Rick J
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> Roll Call All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: