Machin Forum Forum Index Machin Forum
THE place to discuss the definitive stamp

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Presentation Pack Prices

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Presentation Pack Prices Reply with quote

Has anybody noticed lately that certain Presentation packs have risen dramatically in value lately - far outstripping the SG Catalogue value.

I remember this time last year that the Prince William Pack was selling between 15 and 20, but has now appeared to have dropped back to under 10.

Over the last couple of months the "London Bridges" pack has been selling for over 50 and is still going strong.

The latest (for whatever reason) is the 2001 "Nobel Prizes" pack which last week seems to have climbed to 25+ and rising.

If anyone has these packs and sells them on a site - make sure you have your pricing is up to date.

I tried to pick up a couple of the "Nobel" packs form Arthur Ryan who was selling them at 12.50. They accepted my order - took my money - sent a receipt - and then a day later said they couldn't supply - what a surprise. Next thing the site has been changed and they are now buying at 15!!!!

As an additional comment I don't think much of their customer service - their refusal email was hardly a friendly missive nor, more importantly, have they refunded my payment yet - but don't worry I will be chasing them.
Cbarnhorst
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Sargent has been limiting the hot packs in various ways for some time now in order to ensure that as many collectors as possible get a shot at getting a copy. He says that the crazy prices are being driven by a handful of speculators.

He is offering the Nobel pack as part of a year set only for that reason.

http://www.stampsforsale.co.uk/qe2/great_british_stamps_commemorative_packs.asp?
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the speculators can have all mine. In fact I think one has already - he has certainly taken all* my "London Bridges" packs and two of the "Nobel Prizes". I'll take the money now and live with it if they end up being 100 value in 10 years time - after all they could go the way of the Prince William pack also and revert to a more sensible level.

To me they are just taking up space in an area that I no longer collect and can pay for my Security Machins.

* - No I wasn't hoarding them - I have just ended up with a few copies of each of the 2001-2004 PPs for some reason.

PS - If anyone knows what the next "speculator" pack will be - give me some notice so I can get a couple in. Wink
stampmadmike
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems the latest pack going up is the 2002 Astonomy miniature sheet pack. I've already been offered 6 for any I can get for a dealer who's been offered more by another dealer.

Stamps are neat lttle labels,
Showing arts or crafts or fables,
I started collecting a few,
But it grew and it GREW,
Now it's filled the house clear up to the gables
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> Auction Finds All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: