Machin Forum Forum Index Machin Forum
THE place to discuss the definitive stamp

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Deegam Handbook V4 ... under review

View previous topic :: View next topic  
phos45
Machin Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Deegam Handbook V4 ... under review Reply with quote

reading the latest DGR ... Douglas Myall has announced 2010 as release date for new version ... a somewhat daunting task ...

does anyone have comments about the format ???

I suggested to douglas ,

that profiles be available as jpegs ... in value directory rather, than embedded pdf pages ...

also, drop the chapter 1 ... n - with actual heading names instead ... much cleaner ...

Last edited by phos45 on Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read this also - a daunting task indeed made more so by the change of software from Ventura.

Actually, Ventura seems so much more adaptable than the newer software I am nonplussed as to why he is changing. He explains the problems with the new compared to the old but not why he is leaving Ventura behind.
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gooner wrote:
I read this also - a daunting task indeed made more so by the change of software from Ventura.

Actually, Ventura seems so much more adaptable than the newer software I am nonplussed as to why he is changing. He explains the problems with the new compared to the old but not why he is leaving Ventura behind.

I wondered about this also, Dave, as Doug himself seems to indicate that the system he has been using had several advantages. I'd write and ask him but he requested being left to his passion, which is of course his handbook and I for one am not willing to interfere with that and be blamed for delaying the new update into 2011 or beyond
Smile .
BTW, Doug is about to celebrate his eighty something-th birthday next Wednesday, the 17th. so if anyone has a spare birthday card and a few stamps lying about I am sure it can be put to good use.
Wink Wink
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a note from Doug Myall about another issue he added a short explanation about why he needs to change from one system to another;

Quote:
I see from the Forum that people are curious to
know why I have
changed from Ventura to InDesign. I will be
dealing with this in the
next DGR. Suffice it for the present to say that
VP will not load
under XP or Vista and I have to write the
Handbook and all reports on
another computer, running under Win 98 SE. Its
hard disk is running
out of space (all those graphics). One advantage
of the new system
will be that the pdf files will be fully
searchable. Those produced
under Win 98 are not, hence all those hidden
links, although I intend
to keep these.

I knew there had to be a good reason to do all that extra work. I bet when it is done V4 of the handbook will be even better if you can imagine that.
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other day I had an issue with a scanner that would not work under Vista, I thought at that time - I wonder if that is why Doug is changing his software - but I didn't realise it was so old it wasn't supported by XP either.

Working in Windows 98 must have been a drag. Still always good to embrace new technology if it is a forward move as this appears to be (as against "just because it is new").

The only real problem I have with the current (CD) version is that I can search for items no problem - but when it finds them I cannot return to the main chapters or even a different chapter without reloading another instance of the main file. Now that just may be me I don't claim to be an expert in PDF management .. but I have searched about and just can't find it.

PS ... I got a new scanner for Xmas.....
Cbarnhorst
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got my cd and am browsing. I can see just from the table of contents that I will browsing for a long time to come.

I am running the cd on a Vista Ultimate x64 based system with no issues.

This is going to be a trip!
Lilibet2
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there's a lot to read for sure! I don't have Dave's problem with navigation. The last page of every file has a direct link to the Start file so I can start over with no more than two clicks.
phos45
Machin Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: scanner as text ocr reader ... Reply with quote

some of douglas's rewrite could be aided by scanner, then copy/paste to new program ... openoffice.org also allows quick pdf file creation ...

in a reply, douglas points to next DRG for progress report ... 28 Jan 2009
and yes, he has used above methods ...

Last edited by phos45 on Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
phos45
Machin Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: scanner drivers ... XP / vista issues Reply with quote

[quote="Gooner"]The other day I had an issue with a scanner that would not work under Vista, I thought at that time -

microsoft is no longer writing new drivers for a lot of older devices ... but vuescan.com
solves the problem for most older scanners ... thankfully !!!

nice interface, with great results ...

Last edited by phos45 on Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cbarnhorst
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: drivers Reply with quote

Microsoft does not write the device drivers in the first place. The device manufacturers do. If a device is out of support by the manufacturer there will not be new drivers for it.
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lilibet2 wrote:
I don't have Dave's problem with navigation. The last page of every file has a direct link to the Start file so I can start over with no more than two clicks.

When I read this I thought - how have I missed this .. so I went into lists - just picked a file at random - 11p - and went to end of the file (D110-2).

Nothing ....

Am I missing something?
Lilibet2
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you must be. I left clicked on the number D110-2 at the bottom of the page and was taken to the HB-Start file. Are you saying that NONE of these last page links work for you? What is other members' experience?
Cbarnhorst
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Left click works Reply with quote

The left click works for me too. It must be the last page in the chapter, however. Trying to click on any other page numbers does nothing. I just hit the END key on my keyboard and then left click the page number.
Cbarnhorst
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: clarification Reply with quote

I must add that there are end of section page numbers that do not link back and so clicking on them does nothing. One case I found was at the end of page L2.
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys - I must have clicked on everything except the page number - works fine for me ....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> Deegam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: