Machin Forum Forum Index Machin Forum
THE place to discuss the definitive stamp

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Horizon gold machin labels unused

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonallen
Silver Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Horizon gold machin labels unused Reply with quote

Hi everyone
I've recently inherited a large collection of stamps which I'm enjoying sorting through .
However within my folders I have come across some labels which I believe are machin horizon gold labels and would like to know more about them as they are to big for my albums . There are two labels per sheet and each label faces away from the other .
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Many thanks
And kind regards
Jon
Apologies for no pictures yet but I can't work out how to add them on
gbmachins
Diamond Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I obtained a few of these (unused) from my local Post Office. At the time I thought i had something special but as time passed I kept seeing them on auction sites fetching a couple of pounds.

The first reports of these see below.

http://machinmania.blogspot.com.es/2010/01/grab-bargain-on-ebay.html

http://machinmania.blogspot.com
Jonallen
Silver Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

many thanks for your reply and information .
So far I have found 250 of these labels in unused condition with two stamps on each sheet . would it be best to offer them to users of the forum or put them on ebay ?
regards jon .
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck selling them on either platform.

I have two thoughts, if they were only available in one area for a limited time they should be hard to get.
The fact that you have 250 of them seems to indicate they are not.
Perhaps they are simply unpopular with collectors who, myself included, are a strange breed these days.
I think I'd put some up here and see the result, followed by eBay, with a neat explanation about how rare, or common, they are.
Charlie
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When they first came out, you could go into (virtually) any post office and ask for them. All compliant assistants would hand them out for free as it was thought they had no value until they were postally stamped.

Over time Royal Mail or Post Office Co must have advised this process to cease as you can (generally) no longer obtain them this way and of course there have been many design changes over the years since these "freebies" became available.

This is not one of my areas of expertise as I decided to let Post and Go.... ....... go.

I honestly couldn't afford to keep up with all the different types. I have a few of the early examples but not many left now.

I have kept various copies of the different Gold Label (could be a good name for a drink there!) design changes when I received them legitimately as postally used, but I have thrown them all in a drawer to sort out at some future date (which will probably never arrive).

I do keep a gentle eye on some of the sales of these just in case I see a version that becomes valuable but I haven't seen it yet (although I may have missed it obviously).

I did manage to get a couple of pairs of these first Gold labels as mint from the post office but where they are now I have no idea.

Thinking about it, they should be getting in short supply now so if you release them slowly onto the market you MAY get a decent return, but remember I am no expert in these, so it is an unvalued opinion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> The GB Machin All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: