Machin Forum Forum Index Machin Forum
THE place to discuss the definitive stamp

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

5.00 Large Machin

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gbmachins
Diamond Poster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: 5.00 Large Machin Reply with quote

What are your views on the reports that on the 6th February for the 65th Anniversary of the Accession of Queen Elizabeth II a single new Sapphire Blue large Machin is to be issued with a face value of 5.00.

For the life of me I can not see these being used for normal postage.
A money making exercise or what?

http://machinmania.blogspot.com
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

" .... A money making exercise or what? ...."

The Royal Mail issuing paper to extract money from collectors and accumulators ?
Surely not !
Oh, the humanity !!

Next they'd issue a 10.00 stamp. It would be extra large, well executed and . the designers could utilize all the traditional icons of Britannia and include multiple anti-counterfeiting techniques. I can't wait to see either of them used on a non-philatelic cover. A large cover.
vikingman
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another way of getting money out of us collectors. Will be interesting to see what values are issued in the summer when Royal Mail celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Machin design.

I guess the only way we will see one of these 5 machins genuinely used is to post one to yourself and hope that it actually gets franked rather than being not being franked or having a biro scribbled on it.
norvic
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is even more interesting is the very limited number of Post Office outlets that were sent this stamp.

The FULL list of Post Office branches which are stocking these stamps is:

Bristol (The Galleries)
Cambridge (City St Andrew's Street)
Chester (St John Street)
Colchester (North Hill)
Croydon (High St)
Durham (Market Place)
Edinburgh (Princes Mall)
Exeter (Bedford St)
Glasgow (West Nile St)
Grimsby (Victoria St)
Harrogate (Cambridge Road)
London: Eastcheap (City of London BO)
London: House of Commons
London: William IV St (Trafalgar Sq BO)
Newport IOW (Pyle Street)
Norwich (St Stephens St)
Nottingham (Queen Street)
Plymouth (New George St)
Portsmouth (Slindon St)
Southampton (Above Bar St)
Southend-on-sea (High Street)
Stevenage (Queensway)
Stroud (Russell Street)
Trowbridge (Temp Unit Lovemead Car Park)
Truro (High Cross)
Windsor (Peascod St)
York (Lendal)

Goring-on-Sea PO also commented that they had them, but even my local Crown office can't get them, or at least the manager woudln't order them.

At the Trade Briefing at Stampex Royal Mail stressed once again that they are separate companies and that it was up to POL, but my list above came from the Royal Mail Press Office!

I asked the POLtd Media Office for a statement on distribution but no answer yet.

The consequence of all this is that - customers being fed up with Tallents House - I am selling far more than I expected to!

Oh and the pen has already struck, on a Special Delivery packet I has sent from Bristol. Which the well trained PO Counter staff failed to cancel.
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the list, that saves me trawling the local post offices to see which one were stocking it.

On a side note, I did go in to our main post office (which is now part of WH Smith of course) and asked them for a Special Delivery up to 100gm stamp.
They did manage to produce one, but from a sheet dated 2010. I asked them about the up to 500gm version and they showed me that was also from a 2010 sheet.

The lady behind the counter was quite honest and said that they pushed customers towards labels wherever possible and never offered stamps as a solution. Not a great indicator for the future of our hobby.
banyan11
Silver Poster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
The code for a sheet of 10 stamps from Tallents Hse., Edinburgh
is FS631 at 50
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> The GB Machin All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: