Machin Forum Forum Index Machin Forum
THE place to discuss the definitive stamp

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stamp vandals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> Stamps In General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
woodgate781
Silver Poster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject: Stamp vandals Reply with quote

Hi,
I am a new member and must admit I am not a stamp collector myself but am contacting you on behalf of my brother.He is a collector of franked British stamps which I send to him in Canada, as the new editions come out.The problem is an increasing number of them are arriving to him franked but also defaced by biro lines drawn through them.This occurs after they are franked and is a deliberate act.I live in Suffolk and am told by my local Post Office that it must be happening in Chelmsford where they are franked.They can provide no more help and I was hoping you might have some ideas to stop it happening.Failing that is there any central address I can contact to complain about it?,
Many thanks,
Peter
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this Peter:

http://www.royalmail.com/personal/help-and-support/how-do-I-make-a-complaint
woodgate781
Silver Poster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:55 am    Post subject: Stamp vandals Reply with quote

Hi Dave,
Many thanks for your reply,i was beginning to wonder if anybody else was on the forum!.I will certainly try your address and proceed from there.I can only assume from the lack of response that nobody else has had this problem,
Peter
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen the problem you have where the biro is used AS WELL AS the postmark, only if the stamps have not been marked by the Mail process so I cannot comment on that.

I agree it is a pain in the butt, but when I spoke to my postie about it, I found that it was a local thing, in that the post person who is delivering actually does it so maybe yours (I am guessing) just does them all, regardless of whether the automated system worked, when he/she is local sorting before starting the round.
woodgate781
Silver Poster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:00 pm    Post subject: Stamp vandals Reply with quote

Hi Dave,
I used your address and got a phone number which I rang to complain.The chap I spoke to was helpful enough but said it can't be pinpointed where it is happening either here or in Canada so not much can be done.I logged an official complaint and it will probably go no further.The scribbling definitely happens AFTER the franking and that's about all we know.I am told they are franked in Chelmsford so I have just posted a batch from Bury St Edmunds instead of Sudbury,whether that will bypass Chelmsford I don't know.
I would happily throttle whoever is doing it as my brother has been collecting for years and this may well cause him to stop.Anyway many thanks for your help once again,
Peter
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem Peter, I hope you have more success with your new route, although I suspect the vandal may be a bit closer to home.

Please do let us know the result of your changes in the upcoming weeks.
Charles
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news from the post service? Question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> Stamps In General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: