Machin Forum Forum Index Machin Forum
THE place to discuss the definitive stamp

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A fine new stamp

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> Stamps In General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:35 am    Post subject: A fine new stamp Reply with quote

While I was busy last week moving to Texas the new US Coast Guard stamp was issued and true to its motto "Semper Forgottus" few seem to have noticed it

" ....This image released Friday, Aug. 7, 2015, by the U.S. Postal Service shows a special edition stamp commemorating the U.S. Coast Guard's 225th birthday. The stamp was dedicated Friday at a ceremony aboard the Coast Guard Cutter Eagle, depicted on the stamp, while docked in Newport, R.I. (U.S. Postal Service via AP) ..."

The US Coast Guard is this nations senior service having been founded in 1790 upon the country's creation, The Continental Army had been disbanded once the War of Rebellion ended (Cue the band playing:: " The World Turned Upside Down")
The Continental Navy reverted to mercantile shipping and such "Marines" as there had been, (Not an actual formal organized service during the Revolutionary War ) went on their way to become short order cooks and chicken farmers. -)BOOM(-
In 1790, taking office as the Secretary of the (Empty) Treasury, Alexander Hamilton discovered that there was no way of collecting import and export duties or policing smugglers so he proposed what was at first called The Revenue Cutter Service and six Revenue Cutters were authorized, thus founding what is today the modern US Coast Guard.

That is why at formal military ceremonies the Coast Guard Flag occupies the place of honor.

The Coast Guard Ensign

Is flown from the mast of USCG vessels and bases to symbolize its legal authority to stop and board vessels.
As may have been obvious to those who have read some of the stories I posted here;
http://stamp-collector.co.uk/MachinForum/viewtopic.php?t=489
or here;
http://stamp-collector.co.uk/MachinForum/viewtopic.php?t=454&sid=8389ced59628b6f78632f1b889ecfc9a
I am quite proud of my travels during those years. Both my father and grand father had served in the USCG, but for some reason my sons chose the US Navy and the US Air Force, a fact that leads to some good natured ribbing at family gatherings. A few years ago the Coast Guard's SV Eagle visited Tampa and I took about ten of my grand children to the port to attend the visitor's day ceremonies.

Perhaps one of them will fulfill my dream and serve aboard the Eagle as a Coast Guard cadet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> Stamps In General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: