Machin Forum Forum Index Machin Forum
THE place to discuss the definitive stamp

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

alan wilson machin forgeries ...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
phos45
Machin Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject: alan wilson machin forgeries ... Reply with quote

search "ALAN WILSON" FORGERY on ebay ...

several values offered ... the list by phoenix auctions is quite interesting.
machinmike
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... or even "alan wilson" (forgery, forgeries)
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be a bit careful about these ...
I am not suggesting that they are being "fraudulently" sold at all, but what is known about these to be able to prove they are what they are described as?

What are the features of the forgery that make them identifiable from the real deal.? How many are there in existence?

I tried to pose these questions to the seller just in relation to the 10p on offer at 85, but apparently he/she is refusing to take questions.

If anyone on here knows the seller and can answer some questions then I am sure we would be much obliged.
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just goes to show how little many dealers these days actually know about the items they sell.
Present company excepted, of course.

At a large stamp show a couple of years ago I realized that half the dealers with tables could not even pronouince "May-Chin."
I suppose there is so much information to know that my be understandable, since they have to devote their time to making a living.
When I was restarting my collecting habit the local dealers were a fount of information. Not so today.
phos45
Machin Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

forgery discussion with dealers is impossible in most cases ... they refuse to accept their items are bogus, by saying "I can't tell the difference"

I have had success however, alerting sellers to japanese forgeries... and some thanks.
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" ... they refuse to accept their items are bogus ..."

Often other collectors are the same. They get that "..That's just your opinion .." look on their face even when you show them both the difference and the fine print in a catalog. Often they forget that the conversation started with "Hi. Charlie. look at this, you know more about these issues than I do....."
To some local collectors Gibbons and Michel are just another supermarket tabloid.
But that is human nature.
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies - I meant to do this earlier but it got put aside whilst other things happened.
This is the item under discussion. There were a number of these, all different values, all being sold at 85. Some sold some didn't.
This item recently finished for the third time and didn't sell.

Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And just a little bit of information I found out about Alan Wilson himself:

"In 1995, the cloistered world of philately was shaken by the confession by a leading dealer that he had been forging rare stamps for more than a decade. Alan Wilson, a bookish 36-year-old bachelor who lives with his mother in Luton, walked into his local police station and told officers he had tampered with ordinary stamps to make them appear rarer and more valuable.

The sophisticated fraud brought him about pounds 100,000, but his sense of guilt eventually led him to confess. He was given an 18-month suspended sentence and fined pounds 30,000. Ironically, the fakes he manufactured were of such a high standard they have since become sought after by collectors.
"

There is quite a bit more detail here if you are interested. One question that arises - did any member of the forum purchase stamps from Alan Wilson BEFORE he became notorious in 1995?

[url]https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.collecting.stamps/u0zjehCPavk[/url]
..... can't seem to get this one to work properly (I think due to the tag and exclamation mark in the text) so may have to copy and paste to find it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> Auction Finds All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: