Machin Forum Forum Index Machin Forum
THE place to discuss the definitive stamp

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Phosphor Band Errors

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geordie-Dad
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Phosphor Band Errors Reply with quote

Hi
I was wondering if like me others collect Errors especially Phosphor Bands I don't often see many posts on this and thought of posting this image of a very good short band from a sheet of 2019 5p stamps, this stamp sheet produced a selection of variable Band errors which I found over three different sheets, if you copy and paste the link into the browser bar you should be able to see the image of all four error examples.

http://www.georgiedadstamps.co.uk/ebayuk/2019%20CS%20Value%20Singles/20195perrorset.jpg

Does anyone else collect these kind of Issues.

Here is another Error Stamp
http://www.georgiedadstamps.co.uk/ebayuk/2020cssingles/14-05-2020-20p-sbp2iinset%20leftuv.jpg

Here is a different Error
http://www.georgiedadstamps.co.uk/ebayuk/2018csyellow/08-05-2018-csyi2psbp2i.jpg
These were contaminated during the printing process which when under a SW lamp show the Print in the Queen's head in yellow Iridescence, it was suggested that some chemical had been left on the equipment. The new DC Comic Issues where certain parts of the stamp has been chemically treated so under SW it comes up yellow, which is very similar to this effect on this stamp

New print error, a very good example of the Snowy Effect on the Queen's head. This 'snowy effect' is described in chapter 4 of the Deegam Handbook.
http://www.georgie-dad.co.uk/ebayuk/2021countersheetsingles/19-02-2021cs1stlargeuprightspeckled1.jpg

22/11/2021
Here ia another Snowy Effect from the Queen's 95th Birthday Sheet DMS35, the one which was not initially expected to be sold in Mint but just on FDC's. Notice how the bottom perforation holes are much higher up.
http://www.georgie-dad.co.uk/ebayuk/Machinforumimages/img459.jpg

[/img][/list]

Last edited by Geordie-Dad on Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:18 pm; edited 7 times in total
Raised stop
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Phosphor Band Errors Reply with quote

Geordie-Dad wrote:
Hi
I was wondering if like me others collect Errors especially Phosphor Bands I don't often see many posts on this and thought of posting this image of a very good short band from a sheet of 2019 5p stamps, this stamp sheet produced a selection of variable Band errors which I found over three different sheets, if you copy and paste the link into the browser bar you should be able to see the image of all four error examples.

http://www.georgiedadstamps.co.uk/ebayuk/2019%20CS%20Value%20Singles/20195perrorset.jpg

Does anyone else collect these kind of Issues.

[/img][/list]

Good scans I managed to obtain the 50.22.4c a couple of weeks ago.
Raised stop
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi GD, I've been putting together this type of collection (about 2 years work so far). I'm using the deegam profiles down to level 2/3. Lots of work to do but I've come across lots of interesting stamps including some that don't fit with existing criteria. Many items I get from auctions as well as online. I find the Machins very interesting with plenty of items with listed and unlisted errors as well as the norm. Only about 10,000 items to go!! Spinning Smiley
Geordie-Dad
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Machin Definitive list 2009-Present Reply with quote

Error stamps can be a bone of contention with some catalogues or collectors, as in what would contribute as an error in stamps, when you look at the meaning of the word "error" basically it means mistake or different from the norm, so when we see band errors, especially in the Deegam listings they have to meet a certain criteria otherwise they are not listed, for example if the image of the Queen is not central in the stamp the margins can be wider on one side and thinner on the opposite side this will then position the Phosphor bands out of sync, in turn will show short top or bottom or Insets left or right, even interrupted bands, Deegam will not support these errors if the image is not central, because the view is had the image been central the shift would not have occurred. In some cases they do recognize an error like this if the shifts are large enough that it would be noticeable even if the margins were not equal. But my personnel view is if the stamp is not the norm and for some reason during the printing process it has created these shifts of the image and in doing so created the image to be mis-aligned with the Phosphor bands, this is a mistake or an error which I want in my collection, it really is a point of view, but I respect Deegam in this also, so this is why so many band shifts or Iridescent shifts are not cataloged.
Raised stop
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Machin Definitive list 2009-Present Reply with quote

Geordie-Dad wrote:
Error stamps can be a bone of contention with some catalogues or collectors, as in what would contribute as an error in stamps, when you look at the meaning of the word "error" basically it means mistake or different from the norm, so when we see band errors, especially in the Deegam listings they have to meet a certain criteria otherwise they are not listed, for example if the image of the Queen is not central in the stamp the margins can be wider on one side and thinner on the opposite side this will then position the Phosphor bands out of sync, in turn will show short top or bottom or Insets left or right, even interrupted bands, Deegam will not support these errors if the image is not central, because the view is had the image been central the shift would not have occurred. In some cases they do recognize an error like this if the shifts are large enough that it would be noticeable even if the margins were not equal. But my personnel view is if the stamp is not the norm and for some reason during the printing process it has created these shifts of the image and in doing so created the image to be mis-aligned with the Phosphor bands, this is a mistake or an error which I want in my collection, it really is a point of view, but I respect Deegam in this also, so this is why so many band shifts or Iridescent shifts are not cataloged.

I understand your explanations of errors regarding deegam profiling, quite correct. I obviously didn't explain myself correctly. I check each stamp for listed errors, minor errors etc and anything else that looks "odd" before adding them to my Machin albums. I've come across quite a few listed flaws which can help with identifying the exact source of the stamp. I usually keep the errors separate to the deegam collection.
Geordie-Dad
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your message was ok and I understood it, I originally put the post on the site to see what other collectors thought of Error stamps in general as I mentioned in the last reply in the fact as what does collectors want to see in error stamps what criteria do they go by for them to collect these, you seem to be on the same wave length as myself, but not all are. I do the same with every stamp I obtain always get my UV equipment out to check but it is surprising how many don't I have bought stamps from ebay with band errors, but not sold as such. These to me are better than the standard stamps.

I've come across quite a few listed flaws which can help with identifying the exact source of the stamp.

My mention of Deegam was in response to your reference above.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> The GB Machin All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: