Machin Forum Forum Index Machin Forum
THE place to discuss the definitive stamp

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DG 1880.1.1 Direction of Printing?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trainwreck
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: DG 1880.1.1 Direction of Printing? Reply with quote

Hello all,

Here is a Machin I recently received. It has the year code M13L, so I tentatively identified it as Walsall printed DG 1880.1.1 from Deegam Report 102. However, DGR 102 states 1880.1.1 has inverted direction of printing. This stamp has upright DOP: determined by the blue streaks along the top edge of the printed image.

Closeup:

This denomination with upright DOP is printed by DLR, but has the MA13 year code, per DGR 103.

Can anybody shed any light on what I have here? Is DGR 102 or 103 in error?

All responses will be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Robert
chester-cat
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: DOP on Walsall 1.88 stamp Reply with quote

I think what you can see is not the direction of print signs as this is visible at the bottom of the stamp. I'm not what it is or what caused it. I think we can assume that DLR have not reprinted this or any other value with M13L as the latest red 1st class stamps also show MA13.
The tips of the perforations on your scan also show that it is a Walsall printing by being very slightly rounded where DLR are very square cut.
Regards,
BRIAN
Trainwreck
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian,

Thanks for the reply. That distinction regarding the die cut tips will be useful.

Robert
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping that someone with younger, sharper eyes, would take a shot at this. I can see the indentations along the bottom of the stamp but, despite the large blowup, cannot make out on my monitor, whether they are spikes or ovaloid.
Charlie
Trainwreck
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank for your inputs so far. Here are some more scans at higher resolution. The top margin exhibits upward blue streaking. To me, that indicates DOP U. The bottom edge shows some points and some loops, in my opinion.

I have another, mint example that exhibits the same blue streaking, but not as pronounced as the used example.

As always, your opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Robert
reintjedevos
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert,

you are so perfectly right!

Direction of printing U[pwards], the ink flows upwards, no doubt about.....

groetjes, Rein
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

" .... The tips of the perforations on your scan also show that it is a Walsall printing by being very slightly rounded where DLR are very square cut.
Regards,
BRIAN ...."

What we need here as a teaching tool is a very highly blown up example of both perfs so they can be explained.
reintjedevos
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What have perforations to do with the direction of printing????

The swarf of the lawnmower [APS] can have some significance but not necessarily...
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the word "also" was the operative word in the commnt since the over all topic was about identifying certain stamps' source.
deutscherjohn
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:14 pm    Post subject: Walsall & De La Rue 1.88 saphire blue D.O.P. Reply with quote

Hi Robert I hope this may be of some use to you regarding your problem, if not already solved.

Firstly, I hope I have all my faculties as good as Mr Douglas Myall has, when & IF I reach his age. That said, I have spotted a mistake or two, usually corrected shortly after but not always.

If we read report 103 from the start he does tell us that there were mistakes in 102, some concerning the available information at the time. This could account for the anomaly you found.

I hope these 2 images come out okay they should show the MA13 De La Rue on the left & the M13L Walsall or International
Security Printers as I believe they are now on the right. I don't for one moment believe that their change of name will improve the quality of their shoddy workmanship which neither they or the Royal Mail seem to care about. On my laptop they appear rather dark but as I also use a tv screen via HDMI they are fine on that because a tv screen is backlit.

What I am getting at is this - Does the excess of ink on a Walsall printing show the D.O.P. or is it just poor quality work?

A quickie for Dave (Gooner) - Thank you for your kind offer, this post should not have appeared when it did though, I was unable to edit it before posting & my laptop shut down posting my comments as it did so. I have only just managed to sort it & as you can see managed to sort photobucket also.

Last edited by deutscherjohn on Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:23 am; edited 3 times in total
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John ... your images have not been recognised ... normally I can tweak the command but I am not sure what you are using here ...

If you email me the images to: admin@stamp-collector.co.uk I will load them up for you.
Trainwreck
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Update to My Original Observation Reply with quote

Update. The new assistant editors of the Deegam Report have taken a fresh look at the direction of printing (DOP) of "all self-adhesive counter sheet stamps issued since 2009" and have made the following conclusion: "[All values] printed by De La Rue have an inverted DOP and the three values...printed by Walsall have an upright DOP." This can be found in Deegam Report 124, page 2.

Unfortunately, the Photobucket fiasco has now made the images unavailable.

Robert
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice I cannot see any of the images, what is the problem with Photobucket?
Trainwreck
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are now charging customers hundreds of dollars (I believe about $400) to allow images to be viewed from forums like this one. If you don't pay up (they call it something like upgrading your membership), you get the stock image above.

robert
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah I see ... thanks for that

I need to think about this then as images are very important to this type of forum. I certainly won't be paying $40 never mind $400!

Maybe I can setup a section of my web space to include images for the forum ... not sure - will give it some thought.
norvic
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use imgur.com and get those images back from photobucket, if you don't already have them,
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ian - I will take a look at that one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> The GB Machin All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: