Machin Forum Forum Index Machin Forum
THE place to discuss the definitive stamp

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Low Value Stamp Sheets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony1965
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Low Value Stamp Sheets Reply with quote

So my first question is ;

As my roll call post says I'm new to collecting Machins and one of my first interest is low value stamp sheets i.e. , 1p, 2p , 5p , 10p x25 sheets , what I'd like to know is how do you tell or find out how many prints they do of each sheet per year , I know they print a date on the sheet but where do you get the information that lets you know when each sheet is printed ? I hope this makes sense . Many more questions to come , this is probably basic stuff for most of the people here , it's a learning curve for me.

Thank You

Tony.
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the old days Stanley Gibbons used to print the total number of stamps of any differet value/colour/variety once Royal Mail stopped printing them.

This was in the day when low-value stamps were issued in sheets of 100 or 200 or whatever, anyway - the pre-self adhesive days.

I assume they were able to receive these figures from Royal Mail as it was at the time owned by the Government and they were transparent about it.

These numbers no longer SEEM to be available, whether this is because it is now a listed company and the numbers are commercially sensitive or Stanley Gibbons no longer ask .... I don't know, but since the advent of Self-adhesive certainly, I have never seen any volumes listed.

Others on the forum may be able to give you more OFFICIAL information on this.
crazyh1
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen any such numbers bandied about in many years, even before self-adhesive became the norm.

Eventually the info will be available via the Postal Museum, but from memory, they only get archives as they become 30yrs old. Has anyone tried contacting RM to ask?

The Postal Museum archive is on my list to visit once its back fully operational in its new home.....and I have a spare couple of days to go rummaging in their files.

Scott
Geordie-Dad
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Low Value Counter Sheet Reprint Dates Reply with quote

Hi Tony
I have a list of reprinted SA low value dates from 2011 if you contact me on this email address I can send you a spreadsheet of them.

Melvyn43@gmail.com

Melvyn[/list]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> The GB Machin All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: