Machin Forum Forum Index Machin Forum
THE place to discuss the definitive stamp

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

identification of printers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
john.55
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: identification of printers Reply with quote

Hello, all,
at the moment i am trying to sort out used Machins and i am currently looking at the orange/red first class issued 1993 to 2000. i have sorted out some that are printed in Litho and Gravure, what i am wondering is there any way to tell who printed these that i s Harrison,Walsall or Questa.
Hope this makes sense best regards and thanks John. Question
Paul
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

I'm by no means a true expert on this, but there is a site I have used to order machins from several times, which has quite detailed information on the varieties (sorted by printer) which might be able to help you identify your stamps. The link below should take you to the NVI machin root page.

http://www.machin-and-wilding-stamps.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d5.html

Other things I can think to check are the perfs (cut or torn) could tell you whether from a coil, sheet or booklet. The phosphor band width and colour may also narrow down the options and maybe help you match what you have to one of the stamps on the above site. The head also changed due to the EME process in this period so you may be able to narrow down the possibilities that way too.

The Deegam handbook (http://www.deegam.com/) gives also variations of typefaces and tiny (to 1 decimal place of a millimeter) differences in position of the "1st", but even with this information some Walsall and Questa varieties looked identical to me in terms of attributes.

I'm sure there are other more subtle checks, but those are the ones I know of. I'm not aware of a very simple test that will definitely identify each printer, so would also be interested to know if there are any other techniques that anyone here uses.
john.55
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul,
Many thanks for the reply, i have had a quick look at the site mentioned by you i think i will have to do a lot more studying, perhaps i am trying to run before i can walk? i will have to put aside what i do not know and concentrate at first on just sorting out the basics
As i have only just returned to collecting after 30 years, (family and house had to come first.) But as i retired last year i now have more time and i hope a little more cash?
Many thanks once again John.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> The GB Machin All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: