Machin Forum Forum Index Machin Forum
THE place to discuss the definitive stamp

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello and Welcome
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knock yourself out Rick .. we have members from many countries... obviously most of them are Machin collectors, but many will have other collections they want to add to and at worst they may know a friend who is looking for exactly what you are selling...

Some members may even have some other Forum suggestions as well to help you out.

Just make a list and include some photos and choose the section you want to advertise in (not a Machin one obviously).

I only take 10% in commission .. just a joke as I am not an Australian Admin (Sheriff).

What was the URL of your Stampboards exercise or has it been deleted?
I know he likes to just delete posts he has no interest in.
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOLOL, banned from a stamp site in Australia.
Now what in the world could you be referring to ?
The truth is we all pretty much know exactly who and which site.

Fortunately I have enough Aussie friends, sellers, traders and non-stamp correspondents to know that the overbearing one is the exception, and no where close to being typical of Aussies in general.
On the StampoRama site I made an obscure reference to Glenn and just about everyone in the discussion knew right away who and what my remark was about.
About the best thing the SoR members could write was that there is sometimes some good info there as long as no comment is made by non-clique readers.
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Rick .. can I just ask - are you still wanting information on how to best take photographs on an iPad as that may have been lost in our enthusiasm for Sheriff knocking?

If so .. there are a couple of pages here you can research. Not an apple enthusiast myself so know nothing about them I am afraid:

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/phones-tablets/six-easy-tips-for-taking-great-photos-on-your-ipad-11363861529620

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-take-photos-with-your-ipad-2.html
yeti
Silver Poster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote

Good Afternoon!

My name is Warren and I live in Grand Haven, Michigan in the US. I got back into collecting after a 15 year hiatus when I was 27 in 1979. Since that time, I've varied my collecting interests from collecting US to European classics and now Machins. I enjoy the Machins because the the time period in which they have been active has seen a lot of financial and technical changes and as such there are a multitude of varieties that can be collected. And for the most part, it can be done inexpensively - at least if you stay with used issues - as I have.

Thanks for the site and I look forward to using it to learn more about the Machin series.

And with that a simple question - how do you pronounce "Machin". Is it "MAY-chin" as I have been led to believe or "MAY-kin" as people have corrected me?
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Machin club, Warren.
I also prefer postally used Machins for several reasons, one being they have actually been used to carry the mail, which is/was their original purpose.
But there are quite a few other sub-specialties that other members enjoy.
Difficult questions about this series are usually answered immediately by members. Unsolvable queries take longer.

Since I never met Mr. Machin, I can't be sure, but it seems that people who have had that pleasure use "May-chin" although one Brit I knew pronounced it "My-chin" which I believe is a result of dialect as he often used slightly different sounds, some of which, when he was excited made his jokes incomprehensible.
You may have heard the adage about being united by a common culture and divided by a common language, well it is true.
GerardG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, my name is Gerard I’m from Chertsey, not UK but in Quebec Canada a small town 60km north of Montreal, so I hope you gone understand my poor English.

I’m a world collector with a specialty in US and Canadian stamps. I’m not a big fan of QEII area and any other modern stamp, but last week I get to the adminware website true a Google search not related to Machin, and I start to read look at the stuff and well one week, I purchase the Machin Specialized album pages, ordered the Deegam DVD and purchase some Machin on Ebay and now member here.
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Forum.
I feel I should stand up and cheer, Gerard. It took me years to cover those steps, and find my way to this site.

The one thing that I'd suggest is that when the disc arrives you try to arrange the time to read through Volume One before jumping head first into the Volume two lists. There are so many things that will seem strange that are explained in detail I the various chapters.

I was fortunate in starting with Doug's printed paper printings long before the went to the disc. I took them along or had someone bring them to my bedside when I had one of my cardiac adventures. I had the time to read them in detail, end to end twice, and still refer back to them for answers that escape my increasingly feeble memory.
Also there is an appendix suggesting how to identify a single used Machin that will supplement and actually amplify Robin Harris' Adminware pages. There are many tips there that will help. You will also want to find the Chapter that explains why the value settings vary slightly and why that fact is a great boon to the collector.
And of course you can ask questions here and someone will answer, or try to.
I think the Admin ware site is a great start but you will soon notice two or three seemingly the same stamp that just appear a little different. That is when the DCMH will come in very handy.
Charlie
Lecanto, Florida
VillaRegina

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject: Hello! Reply with quote

Hi. My name is Javier and I am from Argentina. Recently I started collecting machin. I hope to find friends with whom to exchange.
Greetings to all.
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the mad mad world of Machins Javier.
There are many collectors of used Machins on this forum, some of whom enjoy the transaction of "swapping".
Hopefully one or more will respond to you.
davo

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
lm Dave From UK my main collection interects is QE11 1952 - to date and include all mint stamps in that period including machin defs.
I have been collecting machin since 1978 and have an extensive collection, but due to family commitments I lost a little interest in the hobby, but now due to redundancy have started to take it up again as I still receive all new issues. Finding it a little hard to sort some machins out as different printers and variations of the machin stamp.
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Davo,
We like people with questions, so dive in to this wonderful world.
I am sure we will get you past a few hurdles, but remember, adding images to your posting never does any harm.
Enjoy
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question are only welcome they are encouraged.
I have learned more, myself, from researching and rechecking questions both on stamp websites but also when I was actively teaching a class.
Nothing made me feel better at the end of a class than to have several students hang out for a few minutes and ask questions, sometimes of things that I hadn't thought about before.
Similarly, many of the more obscure details of the Machin series came about due to a simple query.
" The only silly question is the one you failed to ask."
Charlie
pilot
Silver Poster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Machin Post & Go Reply with quote

I collect Machin because of Post & Go stamps. As we know, the first issue of Post & Go stamps is Machin, now is expanding to many other topics, birds, insets, transportation, ships, and union flag.
But the Machin is still alive for special event.
I collect ATM/FRAMA from w/w, if you are interesting that too, maybe we can exchange.
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome,
I am sure there are some members who also collect the P&G labels as well.
The Machin series has many facets and for each one there are affrectionadoes.
There is a sub topic down the page for exchanging for trading all things Machin.
Charlie
broadside

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: New Member - Greetings Reply with quote

Hi, I'm Martin

I live in East Devon, UK. I have collected GB and some others off and on for many years. After a lay off the past three years and now retired, the collecting bug bit once more.

I wanted something a little different and Machins fitted nicely.

I'm on a steep learning curve. So much to read and absorb.

I look forward to exchanging ideas and recommendations and comments from Forum members.

Cheers M
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Martin,
I'm sorry it took me almost a month to log in and check new member posts. Birthdays, holidays and some medical issues made life a jumble.
But welcome aboard anyway.
I hope you have been exploring the different topics and asking questions. There is a wealth of info gathered here by different members and someone will usually be able to help if needed.
Feel free to ask
Charlie
Andi62

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Everybody,

my name is Andreas and I am a new forum-member since yesterday.

I live in Karlsruhe Germany and I started collecting stamps (like many others I presume) in my childhood days long ago....

While other things became more important in life (job, Marriage and children for example) I ended collecting stamps for many years.

Now I am "back in the business again" Wink and started to collect British Machin stamps. First of all it wasn´t easy to find a catalogue with specialized informations about the Machin Series. The Michel GB Catalogue is very complicated with all the colour variations that nobody (at least myself) can distinguish.

Finally I decided to use the Deegam Machins handbook and to collect Machins according to Level 3a. I fix the stamps in Leuchtturm albums with LB (Polyester) sheets.

Unfortunately there are only a few dealers specialized in Machins (and using the Deegam Numbers).

I am also a member of the FgGB (Forschungsgemeinschaft Großbritannien), a club of people collecting british stamps.

Regards

Andreas
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Andreas.
I hope you enjoy collecting Machins, they are a time-consuming but enjoyable choice.
Just when you think you have beaten a particular value or variety ... along comes another one to bash you on the side of the head.

My site uses Deegam numbers wherever possible, mainly because they never change, whereas I am always having to monitor the SG variant.

I do tend to only use it in the description rather than the title though.
I realise this is not the perfect solution but unfortunately, most collectors are tied to the SG numbering system and it remains the most recognisable if not the most useful, so any UK seller will need to utilise the SG numbering system.

I don't get involved with any of the European catalogues such as Yvert, Michel and certainly not the MCC.
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wellcome to the Machin Forum, Andreas. A good thing to do to increase understanding of the Machin issues is to open the "Chapters" of the Machin Handbook. each one will bring you another surprise. Also check out the Appendix area.
Another source of information is to use the list of previous subjects that we have been dealing with over the years. Just about every facet of Machin collecting has been explored here by different members, quite a few of whom have become quite expert in one area or another and many seemingly complex aspects are explained and illustrated.
And don't forget to ask questions. The only silly query is the one you feared to ask.
Charlie
steve519
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: hi Reply with quote

ive been collecting early GB for many years. ive joined this forum for some advice on some booklets ive just bought.

this forum looks great and im sure i'm going to find it and the users helpful

Last edited by steve519 on Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yousurname
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: I'd just like to introduce myself ... Reply with quote

Hello fellow stamp collectors,

Being quite fond of words, calling myself a philatelist amused me, until I was told I was simply a stamp collector, a philatelist being someone who studies stamps and doesn't necessarily own a collection - I can take it! :-)

Anyway, I guess I was something like 12, 13 or 14 when my big brother Jimmy got me started collecting used, until I gave up when I got to 21. About six years ago when I got to 62 and had a little more cash, I began afresh, collecting decimal GB MNH up to 2010 - but I thought the issue for the Olympics was 'too much', so I decided to draw the line there - as good a place as any! I fully intend to go pre-decimal but I'm resisting that for the moment. For the moment I use Lighthouse Albums (knowing my limits) but even with them I find the Machins can be quite challenging. I bought the Deegam CD, but found that quite 'deep'.

Living in London, I go to most 6-monthly Stampex because Islington is within easy reach - but I've found you can spend a small fortune there.

I use eBay, with mixed success, but seem to give away most of my surplus stuff and I've learned to post 2nd Class in a vain attempt to break even, though I frequently end up using the stamps for postage.

Hope I haven't bored you guys too much and thank you Dave Arthur, for all your hard work. Nice to be here.

Chris McAndrew
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Chris - If you fancy doing me a favour or two next time you attend a Stampex let me know you are going... unfortunately living up north I don't get the opportunity to attend many of this type of exhibition.
steve519
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: I'd just like to introduce myself ... Reply with quote

Yousurname wrote:
Hello fellow stamp collectors,

Being quite fond of words, calling myself a philatelist amused me, until I was told I was simply a stamp collector, a philatelist being someone who studies stamps and doesn't necessarily own a collection - I can take it! Smile

Hope I haven't bored you guys too much and thank you Dave Arthur, for all your hard work. Nice to be here.

Chris McAndrew

hi chris
welcome to the Machin forum

steve
AWL111

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: New to Forum Reply with quote

Hi, I have been collecting mint GB stamps for most of my life, I am now 55! I started to specialise in the Machine issues at the start of the 80's getting most of the older ones from the old Royale Stamp Co in London. I then stopped in the late 90's due to work commitments. Now that I am retired, I am now back to try and complete the series (I know, almost impossible to do!), but I can try!

Tony
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Tony,
Taking a few years out does take a toll (especially on the wallet as I found out in my collecting history), but of course, you have the exciting times ahead of you actually finding your missing items.
You don't say whether you are collecting mint or used?

Whichever it is ... if you have any difficulties please use this forum to answer any questions you may have ... and of course ... Enjoy.
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" .... I am now back to try and complete the series ...."

When someone asks or comments about "Completeness" I usually use the old teaching gimmick before commenting; Define "complete."
This is especially applicable to collecting Machins. Complete to some may only involve an example of every color/value and could include some added obvious variations visible with the naked eye. That is workable and still a bit of a challenge., depending on the chosen area, mint, used, used on cover, blocks. panes, booklet, FDCs, prestige packets and so on, and on, and on. Each area of interest has its adherents and challenges.
Depending on which is chosen completeness can border on the near impossible.
Then of course, as many, probably most, Machinistas know the subtle differences of more involved levels a la Deegam expand the field and I suspect even a billionaire would spend her fortune chasing that one last variant.
Regardless of how a collector defines "complete" it is a fulfilling quest.
DaviRobi

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Newbie Reply with quote

Hello, my name is David. I am an exiled Yorkshireman living in the rural county of Suffolk, UK and a complete newbie to forums
I have been collecting stamps on and off for over 40 years (more off than on). I am solely a GB collector with what I thought a healthy collection only to realise when I started to update and notate my collection onto personalised album pages how many gaps I have ( the wonders of collecting).
I use any and all sources of reference I can muster Deegam /SG /MCC/ Connoisseur etc though occasionally these multiple sources provide a little frustration with what appears to be differing descriptions for the same stamp (usually resolved by talking to dealers at local fairs)
I look forward to using this forum as another source of reference and hopefully at some point I may be able contribute or assist another forum members. Many Thanks to Dave and all who contribute.
David
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to our forum, David. As you ill see from the many previous "Welcome" comments we hope you will enjoy this website . As for learning some of the intricate details concerning Machins, I find it difficult to see where you can fail. The host of topics, questions and responses while not endless, do extend to almost every part of collecting Machins.
Let me add that if there is anything you do not understand and do not find a lucid explanation please ask your query and someone who has already struggled through that topic will pipe up to help.
You might also scan down the primary topic list. Machins are our primary concern but there are topics devoted to the rest of the stamp world. There is one for general comments about Life In General.
I'm glad you have access to the Complete Deegam Machin Handbook and Doug's numbering system.
One problem with other system's of numbering is that often they have to be adjusted to accommodate new issues. Several remind me of the joke about designing the Bactrian Camel having been the work of a Congressional committee.
Deegam numbers seldom need any change and when that happens it is usually to correct a typo.
Good luck,
Charlie
iliria
Silver Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings all. New member from Cheshire, UK. Used to collect stamps from all over the world about 30 years ago and have just found out about the Machin Definitives which has re-ignited my interest in stamps again. My intention is to concentrate on the Machins and have a full collection.
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, to the forum iliria
Good choice, but may take you a while. When you say collect them all, which catalogue or handbook, do you intend to work with to match them up (or maybe tick them off is a better way of putting it)?

Please take the opportunity to read through a few of the forum threads and if you have any questions going forward, let us know.

PS. I also reside in Cheshire, UK.
john.55
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,
My name is John and i live in the southeast of England.
I began collecting stamps in the early 60s and when the Machins were introduced i began to collect these also.
I collected up to about 30 years ago. I have recently been fortunate enough to take early retirement, and have began collecting these again ( i have a lot of catching up to do) i have visited a local collectors fair over the last year, and have managed to pick up quite a few Machins. I did not know how many there were so it will be quite a challange. At the moment i am concentrating on used and am adding mint as they are released and will catch up on these as and when.

all the best John. :
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Forum, John.
I'm sorry that I am almost a month late responding
If you have an questions feel free to ask.
Over the last 50 years there have been 457 colour/value varieties as of Doug's latest count in June.
However, there about 1,000 that can be sorted with little more that the naked eye. Another 1,000 or so do require a good magnifier, sharp eyes, and a infrared and ultra-violet light that specialists use.
Beyond that there are many more minor varieties that require some study and if you are into it that far, shades (Which are quite subjective) are collectible.
With the release of the latest "Machin Definitive Anniversary" issues I expect some changes in those numbers.
The best part of a Machin collection is that almost all the above are available for a pittance, especially if you seek out bulk stamps via a kiloware source.

An interesting situation occurs via current issues. Catalog publisher's know that a dealer's source for current mint NH stamps is Royal Mail and as far as I know RM sells at face value. So to allow for the dealer's profit they must increase the catalog listing to above face value by some secret percentage. And since dealers also service collectors who seek cancelled stamps they often have a number of sheets or sheetlets "Favor Cancelled," which means that they must also charge more than mint stamps for these neatly cancelled stamps.
But then if that particular stamp is well used it will pop up in Kiloware bulk lots which are bought in bulk at a fraction of a penny apiece.
Thus there are many who prefer postally used, not "favor canceled", and are willing to await the specific stamp that may have been offered at or near some arbitrary catalog listing when the stamp was just issued to be offered "postally used.". That causes some issues to drop in most dealers actual price within a year or two. Of course it is possible that some higher value mint stamp will have only a short time usage, and the collector will be cauget short.
Jonallen
Silver Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone
My name is Jon and I have recently been left a large amount of stamps by a relative which I am enjoying sorting out . I'd never collected stamps myself and with so many to go through I don't think I'll be adding any to the collection just yet .
I just wanted to say hello to you all
Regards
Jon
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Jon and welcome to the forum.

If during your sort you come across any difficulties, please feel free to ask the forum any questions you like.
Jonallen
Silver Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Dave . It's all very new to me so I'm sure I will be asking lots of questions over the coming months .
I've posted a question in gb machins ( hope I got that right )
Regards jon
Tony1965
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Hello Reply with quote

Hi

My name is Tony
Very new to Machin collecting so will be asking a few questions in the coming months etc.

Collected stamps in my earlier years into my early 20s , got married , kids and all the rest of it , so the hobby went by the wayside , now in my early 50s and looking to begin again , the Machin side of collecting really excites me in the fact there is so much to look into , it's like that first time as a kid starting out his stamp collection.

Anyone who can give me a few good ideas on any part of the subject would be a great help , really looking forward to hearing from any member here.

Thank you

Tony
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Tony and welcome to the forum.

As I always say..... If during your sort you come across any difficulties, questions are always welcome at our forum.
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, welcome back to the hobby, Tony.
The first thing I'd point out is there are many ways of collecting Machins as is so with almost any other series.
In fact at times I think that there are no two collectors who do everything the same. So it is likely you can get many different suggestions.
One thing that I'd suggest is that you browse through the multitude of posts on this and other Machin sites. There is a ton of info provided free online by knowledgeable, experienced collectors.
Nail down the common terms and start thinking of how you might enjoy your collection.
My choice is postally used unless I can only find an unused example, and initially mounted on the black Vario stock sheets. Others float their boats in different bathtubs.
Explore the different ideas before locking yourself into some particular custom that you will become tired of.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> Roll Call All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: