Machin Forum Forum Index Machin Forum
THE place to discuss the definitive stamp

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Retired 6 months

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Retired 6 months Reply with quote

Well I took early retirement starting May 1st this year anticipating lots of free time to spend on stamp collecting, going to auctions, updating my site etc ... Boy that was a dream - I don't know where I found time to work.

Seem to have been living continuously on a building site as "improvements" to the house are carried out. Still finishing that off even now.

Have had to spend loads of time sorting finances out now that there is not so much cash coming in each month. Low interest rates mean a lot of work is required to ensure any capital is working for me.

Even little things like trying to save on costs where possible without losing quality of life. A great example is, once I finished work I didn't need BT Broadband Infinity 2 so I have downgraded to Infinity 1 and noticed no difference at all except it has halved my bill! Then of course my Dual Fuel Utility deal ended and had to find a cheaper supplier. All the insurances to deal with - just seems never ending.

The good news is we have had a great summer and quite a few of my friends are also retired so I have been able to spend quite a bit of time on the golf course and happily my game is improving as much as at least I can hit a ball off the tee with my first swing now.
Seriously my game has come on in leaps and bounds over this period but then again I was starting from a very poor level.

Now we have winter looming (and therefore very little golf over the next four to five months) - I am going to make a concerted effort to attend Stampex in February 2014.

I have contacted my ISP to see if they can do anything to "modernise" my site. It was originally built in 2006 and is looking a bit dated now. No response from them so far but no rush as I anticipate quite a bit of work for me if they can do anything worthwhile.

I also purchased the full allotment of Royal Mail shares (x 2) and I am currently researching the market as to the best way of "dabbling" in a bit of buying and selling of stock. I haven't even decided whether to or not yet but if I do I will probably start the set-up to allow commencement of purchase on January 2nd next year.

Lastly I need to organise some Gym work to replace the exercise I get from Golf in the good weather.

Oops - almost forgot - must do my will!!! Been saying that for a few years now.

With that and generally trying to input more issues onto the site winter could be just as busy as the summer was even if the activities will be a little different.

So what lovely things does your winter hold for you (in the northern hemisphere) or whichever season you are approaching now?
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you are dealing with is the result of an old observation;

" .... Ampliatur opus ad replendum amet tempus omni. ...."

probably from the graffiti painted on the walls of the Coliseum in Rome,
"Work expands to fill all the available time. ..."

You merely replaced or are replacing your professional work with a far more compelling set of personal chores that if neglected will lead to far more internal guilt that what you might have felt skipping out from the job to attend to Arsenal's latest competition.

Life is a difficult taskmaster.

The only cure is to stop what you are doing for, say five or ten minutes, and stare at something that seems inconsequential, even a wall if life is that barren, although a tree or a cloud, a sunset or better still a sunrise. With a little practice you will begin to enjoy peace and tranquility that you didn't know was available.

And, refreshed. you will still accomplish all the meanial chores that seem so pressing.
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Work expands to fill all the available time. ..."

Eerily enough Charlie I was thinking of this quote myself as I was writing the piece (not the Latin version obviously Embarassed ).

I almost forgot- we have our youngest grandson to look after up to 3 days a week as well. This is no great imposition as we love having him especially as he is likely to be the last one (of 8 ) any of our children produce.
It does give me some guilty reminders of how little time I spent with my own kids at pre-school age due to the amount of time I spent at work.

Reading back on my original piece it might sound like a bit of a whinge Sad .... actually nothing could be further from the truth.
Giving up work early was definitely the best thing I did and the last six months have been really great. I recommend it to anyone who can afford to do so as life is meant to be about more than just work.
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father worked until he was 70, retiring on December 31st, 1983.
He died of a massive heart attack on I-95, near the Baltimore Tunnel on Jan 7th, 1984, while enroute to the home he had bought for his retirement in Florida. Seven days !

I learned from that lesson and retired in October 1999 and am still annoying people today.
Enjoy it while you can, Dave.
john.55
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes
Likewise i have been lucky to take early retirement last year, this is great am enjoying not getting up at 05.00, but still having troubles sleeping in longer.
I have an allotment which is now producing a lot more veg than it used to, so i am filling the freezers with veg to last till next year, the only thing that my wife was not happy with is that i have to pay for bus travel until i am 66 but i suppose it is cheaper than running a car.
So if you can afford it go for it, i am now also finding time to get back into this hobby, (was to tired and lacked time because of work.)
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" ... but still having troubles sleeping in longer. ..."

Ingrained habits are difficult to replace, that is for sure, but eventually even the good ones are malleable. You must have been going to sleep at some predetermined time to be able to rise at 5AM. So the cure could be to make it a new practice to decide to read a good book for at least an hour past what that "Go to bed by" time of your working life, increasing the extension later as you go.
My motto is (one of them, anyway.) comes from a Clancy Brothers song's chorus;
I'm a rambler I'm a gambler
I'm a long ways from home.

And if you don't like me then leave me alone.
I'll eat when I'm hungry and I'll drink when I'm dry,

And if moonshine don't kill me I'll live till I die.

I apply that to sleeping, and eating, stamp collecting, as well as any other thing people all believe are necessary. One afternoon a few weeks ago I woke up at 5 o'clock, 5PM after what seems to have been a fantastic technicolor (Somewhat erotic) dream that I think had maintained since noon when I rolled over and slipped back into the arms of Morphius . Actually I only realized the time when I used the cell phone as I have no clock, wall or alarm in the room.
I had been reading a Ken Follette novel "Winter of the World" until my eyelid's insistence on closing became unavoidable.
Good luck.
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see I wrote the original comment well over 3 years ago. I am still really enjoying retirement. Have become a bit obsessed by Golf since I started playing. Even to the extent of taking lessons because I am frustrated at the lack of progress. I am now playing up to 54 holes a week without seemingly improving.

The biggest downside is financial. It is not a case of not having enough in that area, as I spent a lot of my salary building up a decent works pension and, especially since turning state pension age, we as a pair are relatively comfortable, even though unfortunately the wife is a WASPI.

It is the constant management of our finances needed in a period of such low-interest rates. I find myself continually researching different investment vehicles and then finding a catch. It is really just a case of knowing what to do for the best, both for the family going forward but also to ensure our "comfortable" lives don't get upset by me doing something silly.
john.55
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks both for the replys,
Yes it will take a while to get used to not waking up to early but i suppose it is hard to break a habit of many years, i have read a book at night for many years and am now reading longer at nights as we are both not great television watchers, but i do manage to get back to sleep for about an hour most mornings so it is coming slowly.
Thanks for the tips on collecting those machins that are missing, i have been visiting a local collectors fair lately and have bought a couple of charity bags and have managed to obtain some of them at a very low cost.and i did get a good deal on some mint ones.
So i will have a look at your suggestion concerning kiloware bags.
And also thanks for the tally, not sure yet if i will go as far as shades, but i do have one of these already which was in my collection from years ago.
Best regards John.

Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> Life In General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: