Machin Forum Forum Index Machin Forum
THE place to discuss the definitive stamp

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Readers Digest single 1p stamp?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brandenburg5
Diamond Poster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:23 am    Post subject: Readers Digest single 1p stamp? Reply with quote

This lot shows a Readers Digest coil with a single 1p stamp. Does anyone know more about this? Was 1p supposed to be sufficient inducement to send in an entry?

--Larry

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320495941467&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:GB:1123
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noticed this on another auction Larry - (by another seller) a few days ago, It eventually went for 6.60. I had never seen a solo 1p before on a card and the same question popped into my mind.

In the days when these were prevalent - I had taken an enforced "holiday" from stamp collecting - young family - no finance basically, so I don't have a great deal of knowledge about these, but if I had just been sent it as a member of the public - no - as postage was between 10p and 12p at the time I probably would have just thrown it in the bin.

On the stamp itself -the image for the one you list is much clearer than the previous sale and it looks almost like it could have come from a booklet with the poor bottom perforation.

As I write this I don't have access to my Deegam - so if anyone else knows if this is listed.......

Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed a second auction by the same seller but with a different attaching leaflet but for the same magazine. Again, no memories for me.

Question is - does it look like a coil stamp?
V Patel
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between 1981 and 1995/6 Readers Digest Association (RD) provided postage stamps when sending out their mail shot. These stamps (mainly in a form of multivalve strips representing 2nd class postal rates of that period) were sent for the recipients of the mail shot to use them to reply back to RD.

1p stamp were used on some of mail shot sent between 1986 and 1988/9. These were used to validate the acceptance of the offer sent out, by affixing the stamp in the space (pink box) provided. The source of these 1p stamps are from horizontal coil (Code SC) issued on 23rd June 1987 and vertical coil (Code QL) issued on 26th July 1988. Full details of these coils can be found on page 94 and 116 of The Deegam Priced Catalogue of Elizabethan Coil Leaders 1954-94 which can be downloaded from http://www.deegam.com/priced_cat.htm

Here is an example of 1p sent out on a booklet consisting of prize draw numbers. I have produced 6 page list of promotional material sent out by RD with stamp/s. I would be happy to send a copy (PDF of WORD file) upon request.

Vince Patel
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your information and your offer Vince - it would be a useful resource for the forum - if you let e have a copy by email I will load it into the repository.

By the way do you know Tom Champagne only retired a couple of years ago - I remember getting a letter from him telling about his retirement. I bet he is glad he went before RD UK went into administration.
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting Dave. I would have thought that the names on that kind of advertising letters was made up so that numerous different clerks could respond to letters.
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote from Readers Digest - although I don't remember his pictures with a beard.

Quote:
IS TOM CHAMPAGNE A REAL PERSON?.
Yes, he is! Our former Prize Draw Manager is completely real, and so was the millions of pounds in prize money that he awarded hundreds of thousands of winners - right up until his retirement in March 2003.

Doesn't time fly - I certainly didn't realise he had been retired for 7 years.
Donald

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Readers Digest single 1p stamp? Reply with quote

I have come to this forum rather late, but V Patel says he has a list of the RD promotional material. Is it possible to get a copy of this list?
Charles
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the stupid question, but do you have information who won the special prize?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> Auction Finds All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: