Machin Forum Forum Index Machin Forum
THE place to discuss the definitive stamp

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any advice for a newbie?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iliria
Silver Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:45 am    Post subject: Any advice for a newbie? Reply with quote

I have just started the hobby of collecting Machin definitives. My knowledge on the subject is somewhat limited and was wondering if there is any advice you would give me? Is there some sort of Machin encyclopaedia where one can look at see all the Machins ever produced? I am looking for a visual reference point so that I know what to buy as I dont want to get tangled in the errors/misprints side of things.
Glyjo
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: New to Machins Reply with quote

Where to start. Well the best reference you can purchase is Deegam sadly however this is not available at this time but something you should try to get your hands on in the future if you want to be a serious Machin collector. As you are just starting there are The SG Concise, MCCs Stoneham just reissued. In addition there are a few good websites have a look at this one 'http://www.adminware.ca/machin.htm' but as they say on the TV there are others out there. You could think of joining the MBPC (Modern British Philatelic Circle) 'http://www.mbp-circle.co.uk' you can login as a guest and have a look around well worth while. Finally there's always Google (other search engines are available) they will point you to numerous Machin sites.
Hope this helps
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

illiria, I can second pretty much everything Glyjo has said.

Especially the point about joining the MBPC. A total cost of a few pounds each year (the current favourite saying seems to like to equate value with cups of coffee, so maybe about 3 x Costa Cappuccinos a year.).

In return, you will have an online encyclopaedia (almost) that will definitely help in identifying your Machins (and other British issues as well).

Ironically the new membership year starts in June so if you join soon you will get a full year for your payment. Login and have a look around.

PS. I have no links with the MBPC except as another member. Out of all the possibilities out there in our digital world, I just think this is the best value for money for a Machin collector.
iliria
Silver Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much guys for the great advice.

The Machin 101 document and guidance provided in the adminware.ca website was very useful in giving me an idea on the various criteria that Machin collectors use. And their Machin timeline document is fantastic for me to start with.

I intend to take it easy and start collecting by using just the denomination and colour criteria because I am conscious that i have 50 years worth of releasses to catch up with. I only inted to collect one mint unused stamp for each. Once I have got them all then I will start to introduce a few of the other criteria (such as regionals). However I dont intend to use some of the criteria such as width and location of phosphor banding, errors and things like that. From my experience of collecting other stuff I am aware that the hobby can get out of control and become an obsession quite quickly so that is one thing that I want to avoid. Smile

Can I clarify one term I have come accross please? What does hinged mean? Does it mean that the stamp has been glued before?

In terms of where to buy the stamps from; are there any online shops that are recommended? Or should I just stick with ebay?

One last question: Is there an album I can buy with little plastic pockets in each page where I can put the stamps in? Do I have to look at the type of material used to make the album (such as acid free and that sort of thing)? From my experience of collecting art the materials that came into contact with the prints needed to be archival quality in order not to affect (chemically) the print. Is this something that applies to stamps too or are they resilient in that aspect?
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, my original answer to your question has been lost in as database disappearing act, but I have at least found the Q&A about printing my albums at least and what I use etc ... Hopefully, this will be helpful.

** SETUP Q & A **
A few answers to questions I have been asked in the past, please note these answers are personal to my set-up and as an individual collector you may have your own setup. Some of it isn't relevant to your question, but I have left it there anyway.

1. What is a good quality paper to print on?
+ Anything from 100gm up to whatever your printer will support. I use 120gm myself.
2. Can you suggest a good quality stamp album to house the printed pages?
+ I use any good quality FOUR ring binder such as those provided by Royal Mail for their Presentation Packs but you can use any from the principal stationery stores such as Rymans or WH Smith. A good strong cover and "thicker rings" i.e. at the more expensive end admittedly, but would be cheaper than buying from Royal Mail.
3. Would the pages have to be punched to fit an album?
+ Personally, I don't but it is your choice. There is a larger left hand margin to allow for punch holes.
I use multi-punched pockets (cheap from any supermarket or B&M). Best ones were from Woolworth before they folded, need to check out the quality... ASDA, for example, I don't use as they are too thin, but I have found the 25 pack from Tesco very suitable.
4. How do you set up the album?
+ I actually print two copies of the album, one on cheaper 80gm paper which I put on the left-hand side, and the 2nd copy on 120gms on the right-hand side. This means two pages back to back in one "multi-punched-pocket" so there only needs to be one more MPP than pages in the album.
I use the cheap paper copy to write any reference notes on. If I decide it is getting untidy I just print the one page again.
5. Use Hinges or Mounts?
+ Obviously if they are brand New Mint with the Gum untouched then it would be silly and considerably reduce the value to use anything except MOUNTS. However, if using this album for USED versions of the stamp then the choice is yours really. I tend to use Mounts even for Used stamps because this also protects them from the elements (and because I have so many it would take another lifetime to use them all!).
6. Do I have to print ALL the pages every time?
+ Absolutely not, you can print all or one or any number in between. Your printing software should also allow you to print a sequence of pages, leave a gap, then continue ad nauseum. For example, if you did not want to print the new "PM" pages, you could select: 1-2, 4-8, 9-14, 10, 12-26 in one selection (these are just page numbers quoted at random)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> The GB Machin All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: