Machin Forum Forum Index Machin Forum
THE place to discuss the definitive stamp

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Black plastic tape on Machin booklet...HELP?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KirstyKustard
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject: Black plastic tape on Machin booklet...HELP? Reply with quote

Hi all, I have come across this stamp booklet, which has black tape across both sides of the stamps. The tape goes right under the selvedge, and has been marked where the fold in the booklet is. I have never seen anything like it before, and was wondering if anyone else has come across such an item.

Any information about this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks everyone

Kirsty
[/img]
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a weird one Kirsty.
The good news is it is not a valuable book. So unless you want to use them for postage I would suggest the bin beckons.
crazyh1
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be so keen to dispose of....there are known examples of reels being repaired with tape and what should have been printer's waste then making it out of the factory.

I'm away from home until the end of the week (Stampex), but will have a rummage through my notes and such when I get home.

Scott
KirstyKustard
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for both replies.

I should have said, it definitely looks as though it left the factory this way. Not only does the tape go under the selvedge, but the tape also has machine markings down the fold. A bit like dotted lines, which I am assuming must be made by a machine in order to fold the booklet.

I've hunted through the internet but can find nothing to eplain it, although my hubby said it looks like the end of a roll which has slipped through the net.

The idea of a roll being repaired with it seems more likely to me, but how has no-one spotted it before now? I got it at a local auction house in a big box full of old collectors its, so would have thought a previous owner would have investigated it or thrown it away. Most strange.

Oh and Scott, I am green with envy. I hoped to get up to Stampex this weekend but with 2 young men home, one of whom is busy revising for GCSE's and panicking about them, I think a trip to London is out of the question. Maybe next time!!!
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only experience with booklets is to "explode" them so a desired pane can go on an album page, and that is not all that often.
crazyh1
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kirsty,

apologies for the length of time its taken me to come back to you, my Stampex week led into a rather busy work week - as an example I have spent today wading through a 207 page contract for a big new software system for a client - I almost used an entire box of matches to keep my eyelids open!

Anyway, I have had a quick rummage through notes and I haven't yet found the previous reference which I'm sure I've seen. I will keep looking though.

If you so fancy, I'd be happy for you to post it to me and I can do some scans and circulate around a few contacts to see if they've seen anything like it. I'd certainly be interested in seeing it closeup, although I appreciate you don't know me from Adam and might prefer to keep it in your hands. Entirely your choice Smile

I'll let you know if/when I find the other reference.

Scott

PS. its the first time I'd done Stampex; I more commonly go to the York and Stafford fairs. The exhibits at Stampex were excellent as were the GBPS talks I attended. I felt that the stamp fair side of things is better at York, better access to dealer stock than at Stampex.
crazyh1
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a similar item on eBay at the moment I see. Image here:
http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/6/9/9/9/0/3/webimg/723017601_o.jpg?nc=876

Listing here
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231119150856?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26ghostText%3D%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D231119150856%26_rdc%3D1

The hard part is proving that the tape was definitely not an addition once in the wild. If that is clearly not the case, then value is a tough call, largely what someone is willing to pay for it, probably to tell a story of printing production. Its the sort of thing that I might part with a few 10s of pounds on if I was happy it was kosher, for example, but others might go higher.

I'll let you know anything else I find....
Scott
KirstyKustard
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: None the wiser Reply with quote

Hi Scott, thanks for the replies.
I'm quite happy to send the book to you for closer inspection. To me, it definitely appears to have left the factory like this, because of the strange marks in the fold of the booklet. Having said that, all of my German States stamps look fine to me, but I'm sure many are not!
I'm not sure why anyone would want to stick the tape on after it has left the factory myself, but he world is full of strange people.
I have looked at the one you found for sale, and also found another one online, but they both seem to have been repaired with masking style tape, rather than this plastic tape, so this is a bit of an odd one. If you had masking tape hanging around, why would you use this nightmare black stuff? Possibly because it would show up so well, so there's no risk of it actually heading out of the factory like this. LOL.
If you wanted to PM me your address, I'll send it to you next week so you can have a nose and tell me what you think. (I would ask though, can I use a GB miniature sheet on the envelope, and would you cut it out and send it back to me with the booklet, in another envelope with a different m/s on it, that I will enclose in the envelope. I have a bugger of a time getting these things properly used. I know they may both get back to me unfranked, or with a darn pen cancel, but it's a risk I have to take! )

Rolling Eyes

Thanks again for the help, much appreciated.

Kirsty
crazyh1
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kirsty,

I'm happy to help with the miniature sheet matter, so I'll message you shortly.

Scott
crazyh1
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirsty,

PM is disabled on the message board. email me on scott at skibby dot co dot uk and I'll reply with my address.

Scott
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes sorry guys .. the PM being disabled is not accidental although maybe unnecessary now as I assume we are a relatively minor target these days..

A few years ago (quite a few years ago now I come to think of it) .. we had scammers joining and as soon as accepted they were messaging members with all sorts from **** to anything you can mention.

Unless anyone desperately needs to PM in this age of Social Media I would prefer to leave it as it is, mainly because it is less trouble for (selfish old) me but also because if the scammer is just waiting for it to be opened it may cause issues for other members too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> Machin News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: