Machin Forum Forum Index Machin Forum
THE place to discuss the definitive stamp

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HOW TO PRONOUNCE MACHIN

View previous topic :: View next topic  
quisto
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: HOW TO PRONOUNCE MACHIN Reply with quote

pronouncing

Hello Frends,

In Finland we have a "big" problem - HOW TO PRONOUNCE Arnold MACHIN´s last name. I think that I am the only one here to know it, but I would like to have a statement from you - the EXPERTS.

With kind regards
"quisto"
Kyösti Kaukiainen
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While there may be some variation due to the normal differences between regional accents among native English speakers (I have been trying to duplicate the Aussie ""ai" sound for years. Laughing ) for me in Florida English it is "May-Chin". I have seen otherwise reasonably adept locals try to deal with the "Mac" part as they stumble through the sequence;
MacDuff, Macintosh, Machine and Machin. (Did anyone try to say Mac-hine ? Very Happy )
Obviously people are entitled to pronounce their own name in almost any reasonable, and at times unreasonable, way they wish, since it is their own name, the only person who could provide a definitive answer has passed away, thus, we would have to rely on a sound recording of his speech patterns.

Some of our UK members may have heard Arnold Machin speak and can provide the local answer.

But unless that is different and provided to us, I will stick to "May-Chin" or perhaps "Mai-chin", which to me are the same.
KirstyKustard
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pronounce it Mashin...as in mashin the potatoes. HOWEVER I know this is wrong. My sons deputy head is called Mr May-chin, so I believe that's how it should be pronounced. The problem is, after 20 years of saying it incorrectly, I now can't say it properly without considerable thought and effort!
Embarassed
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe your son is right, but do understand the problem of habit. I think either way accomplishes the purpose.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> Forum Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: