Machin Forum Forum Index Machin Forum
THE place to discuss the definitive stamp

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Deegam help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parkranger
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Deegam help Reply with quote

I know I really need to get a copy of the deegam handbook. But am taking the advice on these pages and waiting for new version. I have recently started collecting machins again and am starting to study the byfleet printings. My question is about listings of onset and short bands on these issues. Does deegam list them in combination? I don't normally collect cylinder blocks but recently picked up a few to help me in this study. One of them was 20p d1 dull paper onset band left and short at top. Also looking At other questions in the forum that deegam offers a guide price I would be intrested in the guide price for this item if it Is listed. Many thanks in advance.
gbmachins
Diamond Poster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Deegam help Reply with quote

Parkranger wrote:
20p D1 dull paper inset band left and short at top.

This is listed in The MCC catalogue as a single, however it, or the cylinder block is not priced.

The inset left is priced at 10.00 single , so I would estimate inset and short at top whould carry a price of roughly 15.00 per stamp x this by six = and you have your rough price for the cylinder block approx 90.00

Make DOUBLE sure that the stamp is perfectly centred and the phosphor is clear of the perfs edges, other wise it will not qualify.

http://machinmania.blogspot.com
Parkranger
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your response to my question. Very helpful. I was hoping that someone might be able to help with a answer based from the deegam catalouge as that is the one I used to use but mine is only up to date to 1999
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - the Deegam reference for this is: DG200.19.1c HS2 Paper - S16, I1 from cyl D1 first noted on 19.03.03. Type/Setting T2/B4
The value box used is 3.

This is the only reference DG makes to a short and inset band so I am assuming this is correct ... you can check the S16 / I1 notations from your 1999 version.

Hope this helps - sorry a bit short of time right now to go into it deeper.
lammetje
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, first post (I have introduced myself elsewhere).

No sure if this helps, but I ordered the Deegam handbook on CD last week.
Should be here soon.
I did not realise (at that point) that a new version was scheduled, but I would have probably gone ahead anyway, being the impatient type that I am Smile

Point is, if you buy it now, you can then get (as a registered user) the new version at half price when it is released.
This is according to Douglas himself.

Maybe it helps....
Parkranger
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks gooner that's the stamp I knew it would be in deegam. Is the inset left the a or b. As I have a block of those as well. I think the 20p in green is my favorite value for some reason. Also thank you for the deegam tip about the new cd. I should invest
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parkie,
The inset left is 2001.19.1a and the short band (16) is 200.19.1.b both on HS2 paper.
Parkranger
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again gooner. Have to put the b version on my wants list
gbmachins
Diamond Poster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Deegam help Reply with quote

Parkranger wrote:
I don't normally collect cylinder blocks but recently picked up a few to help me in this study. One of them was 20p d1 dull paper onset band left and short at top.

I have just read your post agin and realised that one can not obtain a cylinder block of 6 with a short band top (only inset band).

Short band top only originate from the top of the sheet.

Check your stamps again.

http://machinmania.blogspot.com
Parkranger
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Yes of coarse your correct that a cylinder block cannot be short top in this case. The block comes from a sheet that is short top and inset left. As the bands run well into the bottom margin guess I need to find an example from the top of the sheet to go with it
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at some historical posts for Byfleet and found this which reminded me of an eBay seller who advertises cylinder blocks as short band top.

The title and description is exactly the same i.e:
"Machin 34p Cyl D1 No Dot BRIGHT Short TOP.. See pics"

Because the phosphor overlaps the perforations onto the bottom margin of the block, he is assuming that the top row of the sheet will be short band top (SBT).

Now whether he is correct or not about that (and he is an experienced and normally reliable seller so I am not necessarily doubting that assumption), I believe it wrong to advertise this way as the block being sold is NOT short band. When I pointed out that no short band showed in his images his reply was the top of SHEET story and that he had sold many of these over the years with this description.

As an observation - I still think that it doesn't actually describe the block being sold and any "newbie" to block collecting would be easily fooled into thinking he was getting the top row of the block as short band.
This is of course only my opinion and yours may be agree with the seller.

As a buyer I would expect to be able to return this as "Not As Described" for a full refund.

Postscript: the item was advertised at 7.99 and didn't sell although the retail price for an ordinary block of this value with bright paper is north of 25. Maybe the description was too confusing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> Deegam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: