Machin Forum Forum Index Machin Forum
THE place to discuss the definitive stamp

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Displaying Self Adhesive (with Matrix).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> Stamps In General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackfive
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Displaying Self Adhesive (with Matrix). Reply with quote

This may sound a bit of a strange thing to ask but how does everyone display a single self adhesive stamp (both Machin and commemoratives) that were issued in a booklet with a matrix surround. these days the Machins have the matrix removed but most commemoratives have it specially printed.
Obviously when you cut a single stamp out you can either retain or remove the matrix surround. Is there any school of thought as to whether its correct to remove the matrix or retain it?
I'm currently erring on the side of removing it and then trimming the backing before mounting the stamps in Showgard mounts but before doing this I'm seeking advice as once removed it can't be put back. It does seem logical to me to remove the matrix as it then draws attention to the actual stamp being displayed.
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have hoped someone who collects mint self sticks would have answered by now.

My interest is and has always been in postally used stamps. So self sticks are removed from the envelope corners and if for some reason I want to keep an unused example I remove the sticky stuff just as if it had been used on an envelope.

Charlie
Lecanto, Florida
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me give my (personal) view.

I leave the matrix ON - why? - well take Business Sheet stamps as an example, there are two issues where the only difference is one has matrix removed and one doesn't.

If I remove the matrix I can no longer tell them apart.

If I remember correctly there are some NVI booklet issues with the same "difference".

Of course if you are not collecting at that level - it is irrelevant which option you take.
blackfive
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gooner wrote:
Let me give my (personal) view.

I leave the matrix ON - why? - well take Business Sheet stamps as an example, there are two issues where the only difference is one has matrix removed and one doesn't.

If I remove the matrix I can no longer tell them apart.

If I remember correctly there are some NVI booklet issues with the same "difference".

Of course if you are not collecting at that level - it is irrelevant which option you take.

A good reason for leaving the matrix on for your needs.

As you state as I'm not regarding the matrix surround in my collection then I don't need to consider that aspect. However it's highly relevant if you are collecting with regard to matrix surrounds.

Yes you're correct as some of the NVI's did come with and without matrix surround and otherwise the stamp is the same. One example of this is the Walsall gold 1st in gravure with two bands (blue) and elliptical perforations. This was issued in booklets of 12x1st on 05/06/02 (MF3) & 25/04/06 (MF3a) with matrix and then on 27/03/03 (MF4) & 05/06/07 (MF3b) without the matrix.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> Stamps In General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: