Machin Forum Forum Index Machin Forum
THE place to discuss the definitive stamp

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Site Unavailability 15th-16th January 2013

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Site Unavailability 15th-16th January 2013 Reply with quote

15th-16th January

Apologies for the unavailability of the site yesterday and today (depending on where you are trying to access from) As I write it is all up and hunky doery and no effect has been found on the forum.

For information - it went down around 16:30 GMT yesterday (15th) and was restored to use no later than 03:00 GMT this morning (that was when I checked it).

Unfortunately the host I use had a server issue that made this unavoidable. Their explanation in full is as follows:

Hello Dave,

Thank you for your patience with this - site was restored late last night.

The engineers at the server company found an unusually high visits to your forum from a French IP address. So high, they felt it couldn't be human and was probably some kind of bot trying exploit the website and hitch a ride on the webspace (there is no indication that it had compromised your site in anyway). This in turn was showing a very high use of the server resources which was affecting other clients websites on the shared server.

They acknowledge that your site is very popular and is a busy site, but this incident raised the CPU usage on the server to exceptional levels. We have asked that thy advise us in future so we can sort as opposed to disabling website.

For now, they have blocked the individual IP address and we will see if this sorts the usage rate. Perhaps you can check your forum out to see if there are any unusual posts or usage.

If that remedies the issue, that's fine - if not, then we may need to move your website onto an individual server due to the success of the site and it's usage.

Once again, thanks for your patience.

kind regards
greenmeanie.com

I want to say at this stage that I have been with this host for over seven years now and this is only the third major outage I have had in that time and the second where I received no notice that it would happen. This is quite amazing for a commercial hosting process (I know this as I work in the industry- or at least on the fringes of it)

However there is one area I want to clear up with them and that is the notice that the Customer sees ... I think the FORBIDDEN notice yesterday might have been a bit scary for some so I want to see if that can be changed. Unfortunately as the downtime was unannounced I was unable to contact users up front.

Anyway as I say - I have checked the forum and everything both there and on the site generally appears to be absolutely fine..
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the "Forbidden" label did open all kinds of crazy thoughts with the possible implication that I had violated some law, custom or usage, once too many times.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> Site Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: