Machin Forum Forum Index Machin Forum
THE place to discuss the definitive stamp

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Deegam Navigation Help Please

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevevp
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Deegam Navigation Help Please Reply with quote

Firstly my apologies if this is the wrong forum.

I am having problems with navigating Deegam as installed on the C drive of my PC. In particular there seem to be no way of going "back"!

As an example, say I start at the main index and click on "Machin national low values", then click on the 47p item which takes me to DG470-1. If I then decide this is not what I want to view there is no way for me to get back to either the national low values index page or to the top index other than to close down Adobe Acrobat and start again.

Any advice please as this is an unwieldy way to browse different items.

And a Happy New Year to all.
CAMachin
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply hit the back arrow in the upper left of your window. You can have multiple windows of the Deegam files open at once. I do that all the time as I work through things. The only situation where I have not figured out how to go back is when there is an underlined reference and I click the reference. I have to go back and reopen the item. After a little practice you will figure a way that works for you. It is a very complex program given the amount of data. Although a little cumbersome of inconvenient at times it is well worth the effort given the magnitude of resource material.

Mark
stevevp
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark,
Thanks for your response. The problem is that the up and back buttons are greyed out and I can only go forward to the next page or down to the end of the section. I am not sure if that is a problem with Acrobat or something else. I will try running multiple windows as a workaround.
Many thanks,
Steve

PS Another quick question if I may. Where are the listings for Machins with security slits? Eg DG20 does not include the 2p dark green with security slits. I'm sure I'll get the hang of this eventually ... Confused
Glyjo
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Deegam Acrobat Toolbar Reply with quote

Hi I too have been experiencing this problem, I think it's all down to the Acrobat toll bar, since installing the latest version last week I'm not seeing the correct toolbar so there's no buttons etc as displayed in the Deegam handbook. I've not fathomed out why yet. Mad
Peepo
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have these issues too.
Basically, the version of Acrobat reader included on my Deegam CD has the required toolbar to navigate as suggested, but being an IT person I use the latest Adobe reader software. Earlier versions of reader are also full of security holes - but that shouldn't matter if you don't go opening dodgy PDF files. Twisted Evil
It's a shame. Hopefully the phone/tablet version that has been discussed will also work on Android devices and not just an application for "the fruit" Rolling Eyes
Happy new year to all Machin enthusiasts Very Happy
CAMachin
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, don't know what to tell you other than you may need to download a more current version of Acrobat Reader? I use the back key a lot to navigate.

Answer to your question on security slits. This depends on the version of the Deegam you have. Mine is 2010 so it wouldn't contain anything after that publication date. The creator, Doug Myall, does have a seperate website for updates going back to 2005. Your CD should have a code on it. That is your passcode and enter on line one only when accessing the site. No input required in line 2. The URL below.

http://www.deegam.com/

As you will see these come out 4-5 times a year and contain a wealth of new information and updates. As a collector I can't live without them.

Good luck.

Mark
Glyjo
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Deegam Acrobat Reader Reply with quote

I uninstalled all my Adobe products and reinstalled but to no avail, no change in the reader toolbar. I then tried just the Reader alone still no joy so today I'm going to try installing the Reader from the Deegam CD. I'll let you know how I get on. One thing I noticed yesterday with the latest version of Acrobat Reader was that it displayed a 'Open protection dialogue box' every time I opened a new part of the Deegam Handbook. That could be something to do with my settings but I couldn't find anything obvious. I'll let you know how I get on with the CD Version. Rolling Eyes
Glyjo
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Deegam Acrobat Reader Reply with quote

Well I've installed, uninstalled various versions of Acrobat Reader. The problem with Version 11 is the Page Navigation buttons are 'greyed out' and I can't seem to activate them. The only success I've had is with version 9 on the Tools - Customize Toolbars you can click the Page Navigation Toolbar buttons so they appear on your toolbar then Deegams works fine- go anywhere and return. There are lost of minor versions between 9 and 11 of Acrobat I'll try some of them later. Looked at forums on Acrobat 11 for clues on getting the Page Navigation buttons active but found none as yet.
stevevp
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly many thanks to all for your replies. I have been in London the last couple of days for the New Year fireworks and yesterday's parade and have only just got home. I managed a side trip to Stanley Gibbons today to pick up some accessories and album pages in their sale.

My Adobe Reader is V10.1.4 (windows) and according to the update checker, no updates are available. All the navigation buttons are visible, it's just that some are greyed out. Doug Myall has reminded me that you can click on the last page button and then the number at the foot of that page to get back to HB-Start so at least I don't have to close Adobe down each time.

Doug has also advised that the 2p dark green with security slits is DG 20.21. I clearly need to gain more familiarity with the program so that I can work these things out for myself!

And a Happy New Year to one and all. Smile
Glyjo
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Deegam Acrobat Reader Reply with quote

Hi I've not tried that version of Acrobat, been busy myself and not been able to complete my tests. So have you tried opening the Tool option and Page navigation to see if you can check the Page Navigation buttons and make them active. If you update Acrobat to the latest version 11 then you won't be able to, I've still not found a way, still looking, bet it will be something simple that will make me look stupid. Confused
stevevp
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I don't seem to have any options under Tools to make the Navigation buttons active. Tools only covers Export/Create PDF and Send Files. I only have options under View to make them visible (Show/Hide - Toolbar Items - Page Navigation etc).
Glyjo
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Deegam Acrobat Reader Reply with quote

Hi , no I've just installed 10.1.4 and that is the same format as the latest version 11 so I'm about to revert to Version 9 where I have full control. Sad Rolling Eyes
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been quite a useful discussion for me as I have had similar problems going backwards and forwards ever since I first bought Deegam back in 2006 (ish) and never thought of adjusting the TOOLS options, I just worked round the problem by, for example opening several versions of the Reader which can cause memory issues - so thanks for that.

I am using Vn 9.5.2 and have managed to activate the page forwards and backwards and all works well.
The Mad Stamp Collector
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navigation tools for Adobe Reader X for example, using the mouse right click anywhere on the top tool bar. Select page navigation and check box the navigation tools you want to appear on the top tool bar. You can then navigate the Deegam CD as you want. Hope this is of some help.

Kev..
Glyjo
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Deegam Acrobat Reader Reply with quote

Hi Kev
Just reinstalled version X1 (11) and this time my page navigation buttons were not greyed out so I could add them to the tool bar, still a few access permission problems to sort out. Going back to version 9 was okay for Deegam but lots of my other Apps required Acrobat to be updated. Confused
stevevp
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still no good here. Just to repeat, the navigation buttons are all visible but are mainly greyed out. I think the problem is navigating back when the previous page is in a different Deegam file. I don't know why this happens as the Reader is happy to navigate forward across different files. I have found that unchecking the preference "Open cross-document links in same window" helps somewhat although I end up with multiple windows.
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug reminds me that this situation was discussed in July 2010 - Deegam Report 89 .

I have copied an extract of this report for those who may want to see it:

Make Adobe Reader’s icons visible

Some owners of the Handbook CD using Adobe Reader versions 8 and 9 have said that they cannot see the navigation icons referred to in the Tutorial file.

The icons are there but are not visible by default.
To see them, open the HB-Start file and click Tools on the toolbar. Choose ‘Customize Toolbar’. Scroll down to‘Page Navigation Toolbar’. Tick its box and that of every tool under it: First Page, Previous page, etc. You should then see the navigation buttons in your toolbar.

They will be greyed out until you open a file.

The first and last page buttons in Reader 9 differ from previous versions, having the horizontal bar above and below the triangle instead of at the sides.

Also on the subject of the iPad version Doug has supplied the following text but your best bet is to contact him yourself by email if you require more detailed information.

"The iPad version and an installation guide have been available since last November as an upgrade under the exchange scheme. The zip file will also unzip for installation on a desktop, whether a Mac or a Windows PC. (Still don't know how the CD would fare under Win8.)"
stevevp
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gooner wrote:

They will be greyed out until you open a file.

And therein lies the problem. Mine are greyed out when files are open eg I have followed a series of links as mentioned in my first post on the subject. Since this problem appears to be unique to me I will put up with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> Deegam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: