Machin Forum Forum Index Machin Forum
THE place to discuss the definitive stamp

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Latest Deegam Report DGR-100, is ready to download

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Latest Deegam Report DGR-100, is ready to download Reply with quote

The latest Deegam Report, #93, was released yesterday and carries the amended listings for the NVIs with security cuts and codes.

Doug has also explained the difference between a "set off" and an "off set," one of those little technical details often confused in the philtelic blogsphere.
There is also a short caution about the excessive price being required by what I suspect is an unknowledgeable seller for one of the old, very out of date, hard copies of the Handbook by (who else ?) an eBay seller.

Unless the previous owner has been extemely diligent in updating the pages every month or two an old handbook is virtually worthless to anyone who wants to form a decent collection of the Machin series.
If someone buys it and works on his stamps using it for a while he, or she, will be embarrassed and discouraged when the extent of changes and additions are discovered.

Last edited by cdj1122 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:33 pm; edited 3 times in total
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: DR 98 Reply with quote

The latest Deegam Report is available to subscribers. DR 98 deals with, of course, the new issues and several Panes #152 to SAP 155.
There is some information on a strange variation, probably a trial run that got loose, of the "Across the Universe" pane from ten yers ago. The Marshall Islands Machin sheetlet is also covered as well as a section about the shifts of the irredescent ink.
So those who try to keep up can download this lastest report now.
bavarianmachin
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the new deegam-report is the 1.00 Machin M12L listed with T1 cuts. My stamps have Type 2a cuts with very narrow gap.

Is it a error in the deegam-report or there are a further diverence?

CAMachin
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your discovery caused me to check my M12L version, DG1000.7.3. Interesting, mine is even more different. I wish I had the ability to show high resolution images as you do. Lets start with the left slits. The top is nearly completely round and the evidence of the tab is nil while the botton tab is present and very narrow. The right slits show a very small white spot at the top where a slit would go and none at the bottom with a complete U loop. Basically, I have a loop with tab on bottom left, and no tab and complete loop on bottom right. My thought is this shows the variation in pressure from the tooling which makes the slips. I had decided some time ago to only distinguish the major variations. I am presuming that over time the slits will be like phoshor bands and the variations will be all over the place.
moormand
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something Douglas says about the Marshall Islands MS has confused me. In relation to the inscription 'Sixty years of service" Douglas writes:

(The phrase ‘60 years of service’, will not be true until 5 February next year and is reminiscent of the widespread failure to know when the second millennium ended.)

What on earth can he mean? A full sixty years had elapsed on 6th February this year (2012). On 5th February next year she will have served for 61 years.

Can someone put me straight?

Thanks
Dave
tangles2010
Diamond Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wondered about that myself. I suspect he was thinking about the Coronation - but that of course was in June 1953!

On another issue, I note that the Deegam report states that the new tariff stamps on FDCs were printed (as other self adhesive issues before) from coils. Has anybody any views on whether the stamps in the presentation packs were also printed from coils? I had a look at them myself but couldn't really see any major difference from the stamps from counter sheets.

Cheers
Daniel
garyhoney
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tangles2010 wrote:
On another issue, I note that the Deegam report states that the new tariff stamps on FDCs were printed (as other self adhesive issues before) from coils. Has anybody any views on whether the stamps in the presentation packs were also printed from coils? I had a look at them myself but couldn't really see any major difference from the stamps from counter sheets.

Cheers
Daniel

The stamps on the FDC's should have an SR direction of print. The counter sheets would be the normal U DOP.

In the latest Bookmark vol41 No6 from the MBPC they say that they think the stamps in the presentation pack are from the same coil as those used for the FDC's. If so this would be a source of mint stamps.

Does anyone have the presentation pack who could confirm the DOP?
garyhoney
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also in Deegam Report 98 is the Marshall Islands Machins Sheet. Just to say that I bought four sheets from Unicover and they were priced at $8.82 each, which is less than the $12.60 quoted in the report.

For those interested there was a handling & shipping charge of $9.35 plus postage of $4.09.

Which for me made them £8 each all in.
tangles2010
Diamond Poster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for that. I have the latest Bookmark Journal but obviously missed that line! I also have the pack stamps and counter sheet stamps, but I guess I am still too much of a novice in determining sideways right DOP on these.

Cheers
Daniel
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally, Daniel, you need a 10x power magnifier although a weaker glass will work with some issues.
And remember litho stamps don't have an easy way of determinig the direction of printing. Every once in a while I would have a litho in th firm grip of my tongs and start staring at it wondering what had happened. (This usually occured about a half hour after I should have gone to sleep.)
Wink Laughing Embarassed
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This months Report is ready and contains a detailed discussion explaining how Doug is going to handle the identifier for the security codes and year of issue that is embedded in the overprint.
There is also a page with info on things that are planned by RM as well as the usual segments.
chester-cat
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Security slits on the £1.00 M12L Reply with quote

I can not comment on the DGR 99 report but I have checked the copies of this stamp that I have and my stamps have the normal De La Rue type 2a slits. This was the same as the M11L issue. However, the issue from 2009 with no date was type 1. De La Rue added the break in the slits after this.
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the altered title suggests the latest Deegam report is ready for downloading.

Topics include SAP 157, and SAP 158, bth illustrated, illustrations of the latest Country pictorials and expected color changes for the next group of definitives.
Also is more accurate information concerning using the disc on an iPad than my memory provided a week or so ago as well as further data on both "Post an Go" and "Horizon Labels."
Plus, of course there is the usual technical data about settings.
AnthonyUK
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moormand wrote:
Something Douglas says about the Marshall Islands MS has confused me. In relation to the inscription 'Sixty years of service" Douglas writes:

(The phrase ‘60 years of service’, will not be true until 5 February next year and is reminiscent of the widespread failure to know when the second millennium ended.)

What on earth can he mean? A full sixty years had elapsed on 6th February this year (2012). On 5th February next year she will have served for 61 years.

Can someone put me straight?

Thanks
Dave

The coronation would be sixty years ago but to serve for 60 years takes 61 years e.g. a year of service is 1 year after you started.
The millennium has nothing to do with it though Confused
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This confusion on the part of some readers reminds me of the efforts I always had to make when the ship I was on crossed the International Date Line. Somehow despite having crossed the line several times in the past some sailors always became confused as to which was to change the clocks or date as we crossed the pacific and why this was necessary.

Later this month I will, assuming something dreadful doesn't happen, celebrate what we will all call, for the sake of our customs call my 73rd birthday.
Actually my first "birthday" was the day I was born. It will be the 73rd anniversary of that birthday.
I once read that some Oriental cultures count the actual birthday as #1 and go on from there. perhaps someone knows if that is just an Urban Legend or not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> Deegam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: