Machin Forum Forum Index Machin Forum
THE place to discuss the definitive stamp

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Storage advice for a newbie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> Stamps In General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimothy
Silver Poster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Storage advice for a newbie Reply with quote

I'm new to collecting stamps. Before I go and blow a lot of cash on albums or whatever I would like some basic advice on what kind of stuff is available to keep my stamps in. I have been reading about hinges and hingless mounts and stock books and all kinds of stuff.

Can someone start me off right at the beginning please?
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimothy,
Machins come in two very different categories, postally used and mint, never in the same room as a hinge.

Personally, I prefer postally used and the care and feeding of used examples is somewhat different from the mollycoddling needed to keep mint examples from looking very sad.

Humidity, even in Florida, is not a major problem in most homes here and probably most of the rest of the USA.

Mint is another kettle of fish which is why most of the time I clean any mint stamps I come across. However a large percentage of collectors set great store in the gumside and they have to use special mounts to protect their stamps.
The few mint that I do leave in that state and are worth the trouble I keep in the black Vario pages.
I am sure that some of the many who are fascinated by mint examples will shortly explain the things to avoid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> Stamps In General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: