Machin Forum Forum Index Machin Forum
THE place to discuss the definitive stamp

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why would anyone buy these?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Why would anyone buy these? Reply with quote

Someone help me out here please. Why would anyone want to pay 5.99 + 1 delivery for these when face value is 5.50?

• Usual buyers of unfranked stamps want to (illegally) re-use them so are normally only willing to pay a lower percentage of face value - doesn't meet that criterion.
  • They are absolutely useless for collectors of any kind as unfranked, gum less Machin stamps are totally valueless whether on piece or not.

Maybe if they had short bands or missing bands or something similar it might be worth buying them, adding a first class stamp and sending it to yourself if that is what you are into but I doubt that is the case here.

This item has now been listed at least twice without (so far) any success
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270795679842
surely even the most idiotic of eBay buyers (and sellers) can see this would be a worthless purchase at the price it is being offered at - or am I missing something obvious here?
Steveuk63
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Why would anyone buy these? Reply with quote

Gooner wrote:
Someone help me out here please. Why would anyone want to pay 5.99 + 1 delivery for these when face value is 5.50?

• Usual buyers of unfranked stamps want to (illegally) re-use them so are normally only willing to pay a lower percentage of face value - doesn't meet that criterion.
  • They are absolutely useless for collectors of any kind as unfranked, gum less Machin stamps are totally valueless whether on piece or not.

Maybe if they had short bands or missing bands or something similar it might be worth buying them, adding a first class stamp and sending it to yourself if that is what you are into but I doubt that is the case here.

This item has now been listed at least twice without (so far) any success
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270795679842
surely even the most idiotic of eBay buyers (and sellers) can see this would be a worthless purchase at the price it is being offered at - or am I missing something obvious here?

Why the heck [MODERATED] are you alway stating my Auctions as if im doing somethink wrong..????, if it dont intrest you then LEAVE ALONE, WERE NOT ALL PERFECT, ive seen these go for well above 10 each 5 blues, .. They are hard to find and to get hold of if you must know.. And Post office dont do 5 anymore .

And in fact they have only been listed once. a 10 ay auction.
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Why would anyone buy these? Reply with quote

Steveuk63 wrote:

Why the ???? are you alway stating my Auctions as if im doing somethink wrong..????, if it dont intrest you then LEAVE ALONE, WERE NOT ALL PERFECT, ive seen these go for well above 10 each 5 blues, .. They are hard to find and to get hold of if you must know.. And Post office dont do 5 anymore .

And in fact they have only been listed once. a 10 ay auction.

Steve, I did not even notice nor do I care who the seller is. I am not picking on you specifically - see some of the other items in this thread - and I am not saying you are doing anything wrong - nave perhaps, but it is your decision and as you say no-one is perfect. Hopefully entries like this one may help you to have more sensible auctions in the future.

1. I think you meant "heck" rather than the word you used so I have edited your post. We don't allow swear words on the forum or even the use of asterisks that are obviously used to format such a word.
2. The purpose of this thread in this forum is point out junk found in auctions to educate buyers and sellers (although the latter is a hope rather than an expectation). If you really want to sell this item I suggest you do so starting at .99p you may get a buyer as these are only of use to someone who wants to "illegally" re-use them. As I have already stated they are not worth one red cent to a collector.
3. Anyone can purchase both a 50p and a 5 stamp from a post office for cheaper than you are offering them. If you would like to show any auctions where an unfranked AND ungummed 5 similar to yours has sold for anything like 10 please show feel free to show us and you will receive my heartfelt apology. I have only seen one example sold as a single which was WITH GUM sell for 7.50. As a seller of Machins myself I keep a very close watch on market prices to ensure competitiveness.
4. This is the 2nd time not the first it has been listed.

Lastly we are always ready to help sellers who know nothing about Machins (or any other UK stamp come to that) in order that they may achieve successful sales.

Last edited by Gooner on Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alex
Machin Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

In my humble opinion this seller is trying to profit from collectors who need educating. The claim that these sell for a lot more than face value is astonishing, but only proves the point. both values are readily available from central post offices.

As you say, an unfranked with no gum (once removed) is of no value to the experienced collector, and why would you buy them over face value to reuse?

Your point about variety is very valid, IF they were listed as such (would this buyer be aware of the possibility?)

As always it's a 'Buyer beware' market. A Fool and his Money etc.........

Alex.
Steveuk63
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex wrote:
Dave,

In my humble opinion this seller is trying to profit from collectors who need educating. The claim that these sell for a lot more than face value is astonishing, but only proves the point. both values are readily available from central post offices.

As you say, an unfranked with no gum (once removed) is of no value to the experienced collector, and why would you buy them over face value to reuse?

Your point about variety is very valid, IF they were listed as such (would this buyer be aware of the possibility?)

As always it's a 'Buyer beware' market. A Fool and his Money etc.........

Alex.

I think your mistaken about them being readily available at post offices, i went to 2 post offices the other day and asked if they still do these 5 stamps and both said NO. So i think your mistaken. This is one Reason why they are doing the Horizon Machins as they gutting down on the high Value Stamps in the UK.

Also as i said be for i not making people buy my auctions, i have seen these go for upto double the amount of face value in the past, thing is ebay deletes listings after a while so i cant prove what ive seen.

It is not down to making a profit either, if someone wants it then they going to pay for it..
machinmike
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you went to two sub-post offices then you are probably quite correct, you would be unable to obtain a 5 stamp. However, the last poster stated "both values are readily available from central post offices". CENTRAL.

As to "i have seen these go for upto double the amount of face value in the past", you must be confusing them with something else.

In response to your original query of why auctions like this are continually being highlighted, I have to say that as a long-time user of ebay I am fed up at the amount of junk that now clutters the site that we must wade through to get to anything worthwhile.
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The postal availablity of such higher value stamps or the occasional lack thereof is quite similar for US values here at times.
Many small post offices carry only the bare minimum inventory of the stamps that are supposed to be available. Many counter clerks seem to be adverse to stepping back and leafing through the inventory book for particular values.
Most of the larger, high volume postal centers have a better selection and usually clerks who are more willing to spend a minute or two to show what is available.
On the other hand there are a few very small one or two person post offices here and there that acquire and maintain a large variety of all types of stamps, sometimes even selling off inventory that has been superceeded by newer issues.
So a trip to one or two randomly selected smaller outlets here in Florida could generate equally random results and no hard and fast rule should be assumed from the response of the sometimes less than cooperative counter clerks. I assume that the situation is similar in the UK.
I agree that only an unsophisticated buyer would bid on this overpriced lot. Relist at 0.99 and it might draw bids, which interest and activity might even cause someone to bid significantly more that that small amount
Alex
Machin Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention earlier, but I assume anything current can be ordered from Talents House.

Alex.
Alex
Machin Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep getting a PHP debug error - what's wrong?
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex wrote:
I keep getting a PHP debug error - what's wrong?

See here Alex ....

http://stamp-collector.co.uk/MachinForum/viewtopic.php?p=3532#3532
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in Florida debugs are everywhere.
In fact, the whole state is a semi tropical paradise for debugs. There are more species of debugs than there are of depeople.
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex wrote:
I forgot to mention earlier, but I assume anything current can be ordered from Talents House.
Alex.

If only that were true Alex Shocked

see this thread:
http://stamp-collector.co.uk/MachinForum/viewtopic.php?t=759
Alex
Machin Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLORIDA - the sunshine (or insect) state ?
Alex
Machin Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave - I should have clarified; I meant straightforward single values.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> Auction Finds All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: