Machin Forum Forum Index Machin Forum
THE place to discuss the definitive stamp
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best way to arrange stamps

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> Stamps In General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
jaycraft21
Gold Poster


Joined: 24 Jun 2011
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Best way to arrange stamps Reply with quote

I was wondering what the best way to organise the stamps I have into albums would be ?

So far I have been arranging stamps in a chronological order and as follows:

Mint or unused british stamps:

Complete sets (or near to)

Definitives Queen victoria to Queen Elizabeth II into 2 large albums
Commeratives or large stamps into 2 large albums.

Extras being placed into 4 large albums in chronological order.

Used or mounted british stamps:

Definitives Queen victoria to Queen Elizabeth II into 3 large albums
Commeratives or large stamps into 4 large albums.

And extras being placed into a mix of about 8 Large and medium albums

On top of this I have around 4 large boxes, 7 shoe boxes and a couple of box files of mixed stamps to be sorted.

British commonwealth have been put into albums catogorised by country but not condition but in rough chronological order.

World stamps are in a mix of albums and boxes which all require sorting but I have yet to obtain a world catalogue to work from.

With the quantity of british stamps that I have would it be better to have say a 32 page stockbook for each "set" put into order by value ie: 2 pages for 4d or setting them out in full sets from 1/2d to 1s 6d and havinga couple of full sets per page?

What is the way that you've found best to arrange or organise your stamps ?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cdj1122
Machin Man


Joined: 08 Jul 2007
Posts: 952
Location: Houston, Texas pending eye surgery

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
" .... I was wondering what the best way to organise the stamps I have into albums would be ? ...."

Usually I lay them flat on their backs.
They seem to be so much more comfortable that way instead of rolled up and tossed under the desk.
.Laughing Laughing Laughing
Okay, I feel a lot better having giotten that out of my system. Laughing
.
On a serious note, I bet there are more then double the number of systems than there are collectors as I beleive almost everyone not only has their own way of organizing their stamps, covers, minisheets, labels and so on, but they have another dream system in back of their minds that they would use if it did not involve so much work re-doing things and changing everything over.
I remember having two thick Harris Citation World Wide Albums that I used for years and toted along when I went from ship to ship, adding blank pages for all the stamps that did not have a precise printed page already.
Then when I married and began to raise a family I began a third looseleaf album, but one day at a local stamp bourse spoke to a dealer who said he had a used Minkus Master Global Album set that he had removed the saleable stamps from and that he wanted to dispose of for about $40 (US). It had pages up to about 1975 or so and consisted of between 15 and 20 actual albums.
I think that the retail price for each binder with pages was around $20.00, so I bought them all from him.
I then spent the next several months transferring all the worldwide postally used stamps I had accumulated during the previous twelve years from the one to the other, throwing out a few of binders that were actually well past their prime and disposing of the pages for the Sanddunes and CTO countries that had gone crazy printing Jam Jar Labels during the 1960s.
I remember buying the 1976 page updates and becoming disgusted at the amount of junk that was being added as well as the tendency of wasted space so I began to put everything afterward on my own quadrille pages in the order that I preferred.
Eventually I began to put issues after about 1975 in a separate album for favored countries and a few topics on 90# paper and in the order that pleased me.
That is except for the Machins singles which are on the black Vario pages in two three inch looseleaf binders and the postally used Machin covers in a third..
Each country section is in chronological order and I think that by now I have more of my own pages than the original printed ages.
If someone offerred to give me a complete Scott or Minkus worldwide album set free and even proposed to pay the shipping, I would decline, as I do not care to devote the time and energy to moving forty years worth of collecting from one album page to another.
The only possible exception would be if I won the lottery and could hire several stamp curators to sit all day and move the stamps whilest I travelled around the world making vast purchases. And even that might depend on my big able to find a few twenty year old blonde attractive female stamp curators.
So, all kidding aside, how you organize your stamos and albums is a very personal decision, and there is no "right" way, it is your collection and thy are your albums.
_________________
" .... You may think you understood what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you think you heard is not what I thought I meant. .... "
Charlie Jensen
Lecanto, Florida
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
jaycraft21
Gold Poster


Joined: 24 Jun 2011
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Charlie, much appreciated Smile

I have found stamps rolled up and tossed in stranger places than under the desk but I'll not go into that one Embarassed

You speak of sheets with the stamps pre-printed on them I personally like the idea of these but do not like the idea of having to use hinges on the stamps (personal pet hate). I watched a film recently called "Dear Frankie" (IMDB HERE incase anyone is interested) regarding a young Deaf boy that also collected stamps he's father sent him and was quite peeved when he was sticking the stamps in he's scrap book type stamp album using wood glue!! (PVA).

I would like to arrange my stamps in this sort of fashion but using old stock cards cut and placed under the printed stamps to save having to "stick" them in or damage the stamps in any way.

I'm also having an issue in finding a good source of used stockbooks which I'm constantly running out of and new ones can be quite pricey specially when buying mainly from SG I have contemplated using the clear wallets in ringbinders but all attemps to make pockets in them have failed miserably.

I bought several lots of bulk stamps or kiloware from a chap which are still in the parcel I recieved them in still awaiting to be opened, maybe one day I'll open it up to find a very nice little gem inside (if only I was that lucky)

I would also love a couple of nice blonde stamp curators but they would have to be swedish twins and we'd probably not have enough spare time to sort stamps but let's not get into that as there may be minors on here. (cough cough)

The main reason I asked is because for some reason I find myself constantly emptying albums out to re-arrange them to fit another load in that I've aquired often resulting in having to go out and buy more envolopes to put them in and then spending several days putting them all back in the stockbooks in order. I have tried leaving a few pages empty in between years or groups but even this has failed to work.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thunderbird1
Gold Poster


Joined: 20 Jun 2010
Posts: 42
Location: Nr. Frankfurt, Germany

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey jaycraft21

can I get the swedish twins off from ebay? what's their catalogue number? whats the top horizontal perforation size? and do they do they have ellipses in the lower part? are they a fresh mint or VFU pair?

Let me know the order no. so that I can look into it;-)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jaycraft21
Gold Poster


Joined: 24 Jun 2011
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a funny feeling Sweden is going to run out of blonde virgin twins at some point in the near future.....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cdj1122
Machin Man


Joined: 08 Jul 2007
Posts: 952
Location: Houston, Texas pending eye surgery

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaycraft21 wrote:
I have a funny feeling Sweden is going to run out of blonde virgin twins at some point in the near future.....

Well, Joe, that reminds me about an old sailors joke about virgins being over the age of thirteen, but since I quite sailing for a living I have pledged to not repeat it in mixed company.

Wood Glue is a bit over the top, so I can imagine how the dad must have felt. I started all my grand kids off with mixed and essentially valueless stamps, often still on paper and an inexpensive Dennison Glue Stick. My purpose with children that age is to introduce them to the hobby and make it interesting, avoiding rules. Then as things develop they notice that I soak the stamps off paper and eventually that I use hinges. Some show almost no interest after a few sittings but a few stick with it long enough to become interested in the cultural and geographic subjects, hich I often tie into things thay are learning in school.

In today's electronic world sitting quietly at a desk or the kitchen table with an album that doesn't zap alien space invaders or steer speeding cars through crowded city streets soon loses out to the digital gadgtry of the modern world. But perhaps in another twenty years after they start families and settle down, assuming that the world hasn't ended, it is possible that some of my grand kids will rediscover some of my albums and join the hobby. I collected as a child for about eight years that way, leaving the hobby sort of dormant once it became obvious that girls were good for something more than spitball targets only to resume a dozen or so years later. I wriote about the way that occurred in another thread in the " STAMPS OF THE DAY" forum;
http://stamp-collector.co.uk/MachinForum/viewtopic.php?t=489

I mentioned "hinges" somewhat automatically as I collect postally used worldwide and occasionally forget that so many other collectors prefer pristine mint condition stamps. That is an essential choice up to the taste of each collector.
I've used hinges and continue to do so, others may choose to use differet mounts. That comes under the File Title "Whatever Floats Your Boat."
The Machin reference collection is on those black Vario pages simply because it is easy to insert new discoveries and adjust what I already have or new issues since my basic system is to keep all Machins of a particular color/value together regardless of whether they are photogravure, lithographed, self stick or have eliptical perforations much as you will notice the DeeGam Complete Handbook arranges them.
_________________
" .... You may think you understood what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you think you heard is not what I thought I meant. .... "
Charlie Jensen
Lecanto, Florida
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
cdj1122
Machin Man


Joined: 08 Jul 2007
Posts: 952
Location: Houston, Texas pending eye surgery

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mentioning Wood Glue reminds me of a letter I wrote some years ago to a friend that I may have posted here before, but will repost as many of the older comments were lost when we changed servers two years ago.
------------------------------------The Blue Four Skilling -------------------------------------

I recently sent a letter to a friend and had used a special stamp for the postage on the envelope that I thought would relate to her other interests. A few weeks later she wrote to say that she had received the letter and thought the stamps I had used were quite nice, so she told her daughter and little grand daughter that she was going to save them. Shortly thereafter her grand daughter brought her the stamps that she had been going to save, cut through with a sissor as the child tried to "Save them for Grandma".

I wrote her a further note a part of which tells the tale of the "Norwegian Blue Four Skilling".

Quote:

"I am glad you got the letter I sent and certainly understand the difficulties that a well meaning grand child can create. The stamp itself is not any great value and the next time I get to attend one of our stamp club meetings I will replace it and send you an envelope with some similar items."

"Your experience reminds me of an incident that occurred while we were living in New York almost thirty years ago. My oldest daughter, Mary, was about three or four and very helpful. I had quite a stamp collection even then and had acquired several early Norwegian stamps. They were from the 1880s and denominated in skillings which was the currency before they changed it to "Ore" around the turn of the century. Mary had, of course, seen me remove stamps from the paper remainders of their envelopes by soaking them in water."

"One of the nicest was a four skilling blue that had been used in 1872 or there abouts and it was the prize of a group of some ten or twelve similar stamps. One evening after arriving home from work I went to the bathroom to do what had to be done and take a shower. As I sat there comtemplating some vacuous thought I spied my treasured four skilling blue on the floor along with several other Norwegian stamps. Before I could react, or act at all, for the matter, and while a gutteral scream was but forming in the best Bosun's mate's tradition in the pit of my lungs, little Mary (Who is still alive I will add lest you become fearful of the outcome of this adventure) entered the room and told me that she had washed some stamps for me that day.
.
I gathered strength by pausing and finally asked, "Where did you do that sweetheart?", fearing the answer and knowing that it was already to late to prevent the obvious. "In the bowl" the little angel replied with that helpful smile that protects infants from the mayhem that would be due them were they just a wee bit older."
.
""Here are some of them " she added and I accepted the gift of love with all the grace and class that I could muster. She also looked around and found several more off on the floor to the side. So what had been a group of ten or twelve, ( I do not like to dwell on the exact number originally there) became a group of eight that were salvageable and one that was slightly torn and had to be discarded. I remember carefully placing the survivors of their trip on the SS Tidy Bowl to the side to be rewashed and eventually I took a long , long, cold shower."
.
"I still have them and when ever I look at the page where they have resided for the last twenty seven years I think of this and remind myself to put the damn things away when I am through with them."
.
_________________
" .... You may think you understood what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you think you heard is not what I thought I meant. .... "
Charlie Jensen
Lecanto, Florida
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
jaycraft21
Gold Poster


Joined: 24 Jun 2011
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdj1122 wrote:

Well, Joe, that reminds me about an old sailors joke about virgins being over the age of thirteen, but since I quite sailing for a living I have pledged to not repeat it in mixed company.


I'm not sure I've heard the joke that you refer to Charlie, however heres one I couldn't help but laugh at:

Quote:
A young sailor, fresh out of boot camp, was on his first tour at sea. The first night out he dropped his soap in the shower. His Chief was in the shower too and told him to pick up the soap. The squid said, "Oh no you don't, Chief. My Dad was in the Navy and he warned me about picking up soap in the shower." The Chief said, "Sailor, I told you to pick up the soap!" The squid still refused. The Chief said, "If you don't pick up the soap, I'm going to put you on wheel polishing detail for a week." The squid asked, "Polishing what wheels?" The Chief said, "The wheels on this ship." The squid said, "I didn't see any wheels on this ship." The Chief said, "Well they're right out side that porthole." The squid stuck his head out the port hole, looked around and said, "I still don't see any wheEEEEELS!!!"


cdj1122 wrote:

Wood Glue is a bit over the top, so I can imagine how the dad must have felt. I started all my grand kids off with mixed and essentially valueless stamps, often still on paper and an inexpensive Dennison Glue Stick. My purpose with children that age is to introduce them to the hobby and make it interesting, avoiding rules. Then as things develop they notice that I soak the stamps off paper and eventually that I use hinges. Some show almost no interest after a few sittings but a few stick with it long enough to become interested in the cultural and geographic subjects, hich I often tie into things thay are learning in school.


It's nice when your able to share an interest with your kids or grankids, or in my case nephews and nieces, unfortunately the only one thats shown any interest is my nearly 2 year old nephew who will just sit there for an hour handing me stamps (not the ones I require but the gesture is still nice) one at a time after carefully looking at each one and giving the occasional one a lick to see what it tastes like Rolling Eyes

cdj1122 wrote:
In today's electronic world sitting quietly at a desk or the kitchen table with an album that doesn't zap alien space invaders or steer speeding cars through crowded city streets soon loses out to the digital gadgtry of the modern world. But perhaps in another twenty years after they start families and settle down, assuming that the world hasn't ended, it is possible that some of my grand kids will rediscover some of my albums and join the hobby. I collected as a child for about eight years that way, leaving the hobby sort of dormant once it became obvious that girls were good for something more than spitball targets only to resume a dozen or so years later. I wriote about the way that occurred in another thread in the " STAMPS OF THE DAY" forum;
http://stamp-collector.co.uk/MachinForum/viewtopic.php?t=489


Space invaders brings back a few memories, along with that was also PacMan and Pong (little tennis style game that had two paddles) Although I'm not old enough to have been around when they first came out, I remember playing them as a youngster. Hopefully when your grandkids are older they'll remember their stamps and pick up where they left off and one day continue your work, either that or they'll sell the entire collection and buy a nice new car lol

cdj1122 wrote:
I mentioned "hinges" somewhat automatically as I collect postally used worldwide and occasionally forget that so many other collectors prefer pristine mint condition stamps. That is an essential choice up to the taste of each collector.
I've used hinges and continue to do so, others may choose to use differet mounts. That comes under the File Title "Whatever Floats Your Boat."
The Machin reference collection is on those black Vario pages simply because it is easy to insert new discoveries and adjust what I already have or new issues since my basic system is to keep all Machins of a particular color/value together regardless of whether they are photogravure, lithographed, self stick or have eliptical perforations much as you will notice the DeeGam Complete Handbook arranges them.


Please don't think I was being a bit shirty when I spoke about hinges in my previous post, I too collect used stamps aswell as un-used as you said it's a case of floating a boat in regards to choice but also they I was taught or shown how to collect and arrange stamps which has lead me away from them.

The part of them being a pet hate is the process of spending hours on end removing the hinges from the stamps but after thinking about it for a while and doing a little reading up on the use of hinges I purcahsed a packet of 1000 on Sunday from a chap at a bootsale and going to give them a go on some of my world collection.

I am going to have a look around the net over the next week to find some stamp page templates for USA, Canada, New Zealand and Austrailia as these seem to be the main bulk of world stamps that I have, I've also bought some supposedly "chemical free" heavy gauge paper from a local staitioners to print the template pages on (if I can find some) the paper package states is safe for collections and archives Whether it's any good or not I don't know (wants to be the darn price of it).

It was my birthday on the 30th of June and recieved quite happily a very large box full of mixed world stamps along with 2 or 3 albums of mixed stamps which will require a good while to sort Very Happy

cdj1122 wrote:
Mentioning Wood Glue reminds me of a letter I wrote some years ago to a friend that I may have posted here before, but will repost as many of the older comments were lost when we changed servers two years ago.
------------------------------------The Blue Four Skilling -------------------------------------

I recently sent a letter to a friend and had used a special stamp for the postage on the envelope that I thought would relate to her other interests. A few weeks later she wrote to say that she had received the letter and thought the stamps I had used were quite nice, so she told her daughter and little grand daughter that she was going to save them. Shortly thereafter her grand daughter brought her the stamps that she had been going to save, cut through with a sissor as the child tried to "Save them for Grandma".

I wrote her a further note a part of which tells the tale of the "Norwegian Blue Four Skilling".

Quote:

"I am glad you got the letter I sent and certainly understand the difficulties that a well meaning grand child can create. The stamp itself is not any great value and the next time I get to attend one of our stamp club meetings I will replace it and send you an envelope with some similar items."

"Your experience reminds me of an incident that occurred while we were living in New York almost thirty years ago. My oldest daughter, Mary, was about three or four and very helpful. I had quite a stamp collection even then and had acquired several early Norwegian stamps. They were from the 1880s and denominated in skillings which was the currency before they changed it to "Ore" around the turn of the century. Mary had, of course, seen me remove stamps from the paper remainders of their envelopes by soaking them in water."

"One of the nicest was a four skilling blue that had been used in 1872 or there abouts and it was the prize of a group of some ten or twelve similar stamps. One evening after arriving home from work I went to the bathroom to do what had to be done and take a shower. As I sat there comtemplating some vacuous thought I spied my treasured four skilling blue on the floor along with several other Norwegian stamps. Before I could react, or act at all, for the matter, and while a gutteral scream was but forming in the best Bosun's mate's tradition in the pit of my lungs, little Mary (Who is still alive I will add lest you become fearful of the outcome of this adventure) entered the room and told me that she had washed some stamps for me that day.
.
I gathered strength by pausing and finally asked, "Where did you do that sweetheart?", fearing the answer and knowing that it was already to late to prevent the obvious. "In the bowl" the little angel replied with that helpful smile that protects infants from the mayhem that would be due them were they just a wee bit older."
.
""Here are some of them " she added and I accepted the gift of love with all the grace and class that I could muster. She also looked around and found several more off on the floor to the side. So what had been a group of ten or twelve, ( I do not like to dwell on the exact number originally there) became a group of eight that were salvageable and one that was slightly torn and had to be discarded. I remember carefully placing the survivors of their trip on the SS Tidy Bowl to the side to be rewashed and eventually I took a long , long, cold shower."
.
"I still have them and when ever I look at the page where they have resided for the last twenty seven years I think of this and remind myself to put the damn things away when I am through with them."
.


Oops, erm... not sure whether to laugh or cry, I think I personally would have had to disappear for a couple of days at least until I had calmed down considerably, At the same time I've taken it on board and will take the time to hide my most treasured stamps when my nephew is about and just 'play' with the ones of very little value with him or when he's about.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> Stamps In General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group