Machin Forum Forum Index Machin Forum
THE place to discuss the definitive stamp

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

10p orange-brown narrow value

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnthonyUK
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: 10p orange-brown narrow value Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm reposting this after the recent outage.
Could someone confirm the following please.
I have started a basic Machin collection using the free Robin Harris printable pages.
A few people have mentioned the difficulty in finding the above mentioned item in kiloware and I have yet to find any so I looked for alternative sources.
I think from what I have read that this machin was only available in the Christian Heritage booklet on pane DP74.
This booklet is quite expensive in total at 32 CV so as an alternative I found this pane as an FDC for approx. 1.50 each so I bought a few.
Is this an OK source for the collection and is it worth removing the pane from the cover at this price?

cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthony,
Remember the first rule of stamping.
Collect what you enjoy collecting the way you enjoy doing so. .
If you like the pane, then yes it is "okay".
Personally I would prefer postally used for my albums but as you have surmised many of these panes were never used on regular mail so a FDC is the only way to obtain cancelled copies.
I have a friend in the UK who on occasion sends me a copy of the Gibbons magazine and he always tries to use full panes to cover the postage, often several at a time. But I would not expect him to break up a booklet that cost anywhere near 32.00 to use for such postage.
So if I obtained the FDC in an auction at such a good price, I would certainly remove it from the cover. But that is me, playing with my collection and you have to decide for yourself.
You say you bought a few ? Do you want to part with one ? Either on the cover or trimmed around the pane to facilitate mailing. Or trade for a similar pane from a FDC also.
AnthonyUK
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdj1122 wrote:
You say you bought a few ? Do you want to part with one ? Either on the cover or trimmed around the pane to facilitate mailing. Or trade for a similar pane from a FDC also.

If you are interested in a trade I can send you my wants list and perhaps you can help me fill some of the spaces Very Happy

Wants list
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Charlie - at worst it will fill a space until you find a postally used substitute (if you ever do).

The only difference is if I had more than one of these I would file both the pane and a "connected horizontal pair" (with the 17p) so that he source is obvious - but that is MY collecting choice.
AnthonyUK
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave.
That is a useful point about keeping as a partial pane strip.
Alex
Machin Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the number of Scottish Pictorials found in booklets and sheets; my choice is to carefully remove the stamp of interest with sufficient of the pane/sheet background, that way the source is readily identifiable.

Alex.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> Auction Finds All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: