Machin Forum Forum Index Machin Forum
THE place to discuss the definitive stamp

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stanley Gibbons on eBay

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject: Stanley Gibbons on eBay Reply with quote

SG has been on eBay UK for some time now but usually all you can buy is the same thing at the same price as their Online shop and they have only offered Buy It Now items.

However it looks like their auditors have been in and told them to get rid of some stock.

If you don't mind your catalogues at least a year old there are some real bargains to be had.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Stanley-Gibbons-Group/Clearance-Items-/_i.html?_fsub=19&_sid=102457501&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

But be careful and read the whole list.

I have seen at least one person bid up to 11 for a 2009 Commonwealth (up to 1952) Catalogue where if he/she had gone further down the list they would have found it as BIN for 9.95. Highest postage is 4.50 even for the World set if this is your desire.... this would normally cost about 15 just in postage.
tangles2010
Diamond Poster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:21 am    Post subject: SG Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip Dave. I didn't know about their Ebay shop. I will have a little look to see if I can find some bargains!

Best wishes

Daniel
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you don't mind your catalogues at least a year old there are some real bargains to be had.

For years I have sought out catalogues that are lightly used and only a year or two old.
First, since my interest is in postally used, the stamps I accumulate from kilo lots are seldom less than one year old anyway. I care very little for the values provided on catalogue lists. I use catalogs to discover the minor variations that are created, often by accident, which means that quite often newly discovered variations are not yet cataloged plus occasionally I check the comparative values to see which stamps are less common than others of a similar design. Comparative rarity also takes a year or two to become obvious.

That allows me to acquire a wide selection of special national catalogues which adds to the depth of the detail of varieties. A Facit, Yvert, Gibbons or Sakura and others a couple of years old work pretty well for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> Auction Finds All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: