Machin Forum Forum Index Machin Forum
THE place to discuss the definitive stamp

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Sorry Tale

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject: A Sorry Tale Reply with quote

Now this is a Seller that has my sympathy. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Huge-Stamp-Collection-UK-Mint-1935-2009-and-Lots-More-/380241856029

He is trying to sell his personal collection of 10 albums for 4,000 and is now a bit desperate having listed it at least once before for 5,000.

This is his lifetime collection from 1935 to 2009 and it obviously has great value to him personally and he has spent a lot of time creating images of every page of every album see here: http://www.tonystrading.co.uk/stamps/stamps1.htm

I have had a look at all the images and although (the GB PRINZ albums at least) nicely laid out - many of the pages you see on a regular basis with sets selling at less than face. There is nothing special there at all. If I was looking to spend that amount of money I would at least like to see say.... a PUC 1 or some errors/varieties

The other 7 albums look to me (and I am no expert outside the Commonwealth issues) as if they contain mostly kiloware type items.

I am not trying to degrade the seller as he has a belief that he has a valuable item for sale but what I am trying to demonstrate that it is far better to invest 500 in one good stamp than 500 ordinary stamps if you ever intend to sell.

Of course most of us collect for the pleasure and therefore quite rightly collect what we want (or can afford) but many of us (me also probably) would be extremely disappointed if we were buying for investment only.

As a footnote I wish him all the luck in the world with this sale but I feel he will be disappointed. I hope I am wrong.
cdj1122
Machin Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Dave, it is a sorry tale in some ways, one that is repeated every day somewhere as a lifetime collector tries to cash in on what he may have thought was a great investment.
I hope that his collection brought him many hours of pleasure and satisfaction. he certaimly was, or is, meticulous about his arrangements. It looks like he used a ruler to set the spacing between the stamps and between items and the margins.
At our little local stamp club yesterday afternoon, one of the members brought his pride and joy. A similar collection of USA, mint stamps in sheets and sheetlets. Page after page of blocks of ten or twenty of the same stamp. At the table where we were sitting we all showed appropriate enthusiasm for his collection, but I could not but recall that only a few weeks previously I had seen a box of discount postage with virtually identical material. Fortunately this member was not trying to sell anything, just showing off his handiwork.
Personally the fellow who is offering his lifetime collection in your link might have done better had he accumulated those items in fine postally used condition. At least then he would not be faced with the discount postage conumdrum.
BrianT
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I re-started collecting some two years ago I bought a couple of albums from Ebay. These contained all the commemoratives of ER2 and a basic collection of definitives both GB and Regionals. I was successful with a bid of 78. But these were all mounted in two de lux Lindner albums with slipcases and all the stamps presented in Falzlos pre printed pages all contained in Lindner slip in pockets, all as new, all the stamps being UM. I think I worked it out that the albums and pages etc would have cost around 350+. I have recently been watching some Commonwealth collections particularly by a seller called Stuacy, it's amazing what 300/500 will buy and if you go to 1000/1500 WOW.

It's a pity but in all honesty I reckon this seller is living in another world........4000, I don't think so.
The Mad Stamp Collector
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The seller has a nice collection, his asking price is most likely going to let him down again, but he is listing the collection on ebay and anything is possible.
If he was to put that collection up for sale at some of external auctions I have been to, he would be very upset. I have seen collections like his and larger go for a fraction of face value, like you say Dave, only to be broken up and the mint stamps used for postage sad to say.
I wish him all the best with his auction.
tangles2010
Diamond Poster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:12 am    Post subject: Sorry tale Reply with quote

Sadly, there are a lot of collectors who get disappointed. When I worked in a stamp shop for a year, we would probably have about one collector a month bring in an album of mint Australian PO Packs and blocks, and we would nearly always offer 65% of face value and then sell them to businesses at 85% of face value for postage. A few refused to sell, but I don't think they would have got any better from other shops. Other than a few booklets and some PO Packs from the 1970s, most modern issues sadly are only worth postage. Australia has a somewhat unique problem, though, as we haven't really had a definitive issue for decades - unless you count some of the retail booklet issues as definitives, which you probably can't as they are seldom on sale for a year or more. I think definitivies generate more interest because, over their longer lifetime, they generate a number of printing varieties which interest collectors. In the 1970s we had a 'Life Be In It' series in Australia which did generate a number of different printings, and these do seem to have some value nowadays (although they're very unattractive stamps!).
Cheers
Daniel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> Auction Finds All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: