Machin Forum Forum Index Machin Forum
THE place to discuss the definitive stamp

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forum Unavailable - 12-13th June 2010

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gooner
Machin Man

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Forum Unavailable - 12-13th June 2010 Reply with quote

Apologies to all users for the unavailability of the Forum on the above dates.

The site was pulled from the Internet at around 10:30 yesterday by my Hosting Company due to a phishing attack.

To summarise the reason for their actions:
Quote:
The phishing pages set up related to a scam trying to pretend it was a genuine page for Royal Bank of Canada - in an attempt to obtain clients details. It would appear that some files had been put onto your website back in March, but had remained dormant. They appeared legitimate folders and files as had no virus or malware attached to them - they were legitimate files, just set up for illegal purposes. They showed up for what they were when they were activated early yesterday morning.

Although I take great care with ensuring that I attract no viruses or malware with daily scanning by more than one piece of software and I have both hardware and software firewalls in place it appears this one got past either me or the hosting company in some way.
It was their security setup that spotted the issue so I can have no argument there.

Hopefully this is a one off and my hosting company has sent me a number of ways I can improve security going forward which I will be implementing over the next week or so. I don't expect any of these changes to affect usage of the forum, however if it does I will add the necessary information to this thread.

Thank you for your patience and help in defeating these idiots.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Machin Forum Forum Index -> Forum Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: